New Clutch Needed :(

lukeanderson31

okay so my clutch started slipping this morning so need a new one

is it going to be worth it to me to get an uprated clutch? i am running a remap and have been for a fair while but will i notice any difference or will iti last considerably longer?

i know most of this goes on driving style etc. but i just wanted rough ideas

also, anyone found anywhere to get the best deal on a new clutch? uprated or standard replacement?

cheers guys, luke

cheers for the help guys, bit worried about the flywheel though now, Ive been told this could be knackered, but i wont know whether it is or not until its taken out

isnt there something i'd notice whilst driving if this was on its way out? i cant really afford to have my car off the road for that long

also, i was thinking my car should have a dual-mass flywheel, but when i rang to order a clutch, and they asked my reg. i was told that my car didnt have one :/ so that confused me more

any light shed onto this would be great thanks :), luke

We could offer a suitable clutch kit for your 5 speed:

G60 Single Mass Flywheel (No chatter for diesels) and sachs clutch kit: £360

G60 Single Mass Flywheel (No chatter for diesels) and heavy duty sachs clutch kit: £400

Prices include VAT at 17.5%. Fitting would be 4hrs = £220.

Cheers

Kev

Edited by Jabbasport

Guest westallc

to be honest mate its on its limit ill prob change it next year tbh maybe go for a paddel one :)

that will tell me your prob not running near 350 at the moment as you would just melt that clutch under load

maybe you should go get a rr done as your power and torque should kill that clutch very very fast

• 2 weeks later...

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu270/mattyg1983/022.jpg

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu270/mattyg1983/024.jpg

well im not to good at postin pics so hope these work,these are some early dyno graphs,this was without an ebc,and was running 18psi boost,

car has since had a ebc,another remap,and is now runnin 23psi on a ihi vf34 turbo.ROFL banditbarron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by matty mk1 350bhp vrs

The pics do not show, but I think you have to show before the http and you only need one http

Edited by TheMethodFeeder

Guest westallc

jabbas' rollers are always very nice to you lol

as i read it vf34 running 1.2 to 1.3 bar should result in around 300 to 320 bhp

people have run them at 1.5 bar and seen 340- 350 but this is them maxed and running very very hot and they are known to hate the heat and fail very quickly thus why most tuners will run them around the 1.3 bar mark

so 1.3 bar ( 18 psi ) good safe level running tops 320bhp

and 1.5 bar ( 21 psi ) not good if you want the turbo to last 340 -350bhp

so gauging this you say 23psi ( 1.6bar ) turbo will be pushing still around the 340 -350 but turbo life will be dramatically less

leeboy on here was running a 2.0ltr bottom end and was running 330 bhp and that run very very hot ( burnt lots of oil hot lol)

as for the clutch i cant see how a vr6 standard clutch could even clamp and hold with 300+ bhp and 300+ ftlb of torque running through it ???

what internals does your car run???

Edited by westallc

Standard clutches can take more than you seem to think, as for a time both Des and DaveU were running GT28's through standard clutches without complaint.

The only reason Des changed his was that he changed his gearbox to a six speed petrol.

So tell us all Clive, what were your findings when you ran this sort of power, as you obviously seem to be speaking from experience with all this information.

Clive, please do not forget to post your dyno in support of your claims, as you do not believe anyone else who cannot supply one, and then actually does, as the original poster now has.

Also please remember that VF34's do not produce the same torque as GT28 and in most cases the torque is lower, so a standard clutch could hold it without any problems, and I think Quinten did just that with a VF34.

Guest westallc

so becuase i input to the thread and put info up means that i have had to have a big turbo otherwise its incorrect???? is that what your trying to say???? :no:

at any point can you see where i said i had big turbo or claiming huge power?? i think not !!!!!!!

think back to all the things you talked about big power larger turbo's should do this shouldnt do that etc etc did you have any of them ??? NO you didnt you had a stage 2 car

so lets not get onto to that shall we :thumbup:

Edited by westallc

Driving style is going to make quite a difference to how well the clutch holds power. I have a pretty worn stock clutch and am running 275ft/lb (JKM rollers). Any gear at any speed and full throttle will not make the clutch slip, yet if I drive like a loony, fast gear changes leave the clutch slipping with no chance of it gripping without me backing off the gas a little. I see this as my clutch isn't upto the job and I don't think it would last long if I did that to much. Although I'm sure plently of people could drive the car and think the clutch works perfectly due to the way they drive.

so becuase i input to the thread and put info up means that i have had to have a big turbo otherwise its incorrect???? is that what your trying to say???? :no:

at any point can you see where i said i had big turbo or claiming huge power?? i think not !!!!!!!

think back to all the things you talked about big power larger turbo's should do this shouldnt do that etc etc did you have any of them ??? NO you didnt you had a stage 2 car

so lets not get onto to that shall we :thumbup:

No, but if you speak from experience, and not your mate down the pub, then it helps to show people that you have had the first hand experience of what you are talking about, and that in turn gives them confidence in what you say, and having been on the phone to Des whilst typing the above I do speak from his experience and that of DaveU, both running GT28's through a standard clutch without problems.

At no time did I ever have a big turbo on my stage 2 Mk1 Octy vRS, or ever want one, because you cannot continually rag a big turbo'd Octy without it becoming a money pit, and if you remember mine was properly set up for top performance and reliability, and would hold its own against several big turbo'd GT28 equipped cars on here, outrunning one without any problems, so yes I do have experience of properly set up cars. The work being done to the car by Des and Mike and myself, and not bought from other members already fully set up, as your black and yellow ones were, which were also only stage two, and not big turbo'd.

As for me saying that it is not always wise to go the big turbo route, yes that is correct for the reason of reliability, cost etc already stated, but there again Des who has one of the biggest BHP cars on Briskoda also says this in many many threads, so are you now saying that he does not know what he is talking about?

Guest westallc

really thats where you talk **** as if you recall my yellow one was standard when i brought it ha ha all the work was done by ME no one else unlike yours fella ha ha

and a properly running gt28 would mince your car top end without a doubt.

but you talking from des experience not yours yet again it all about des and his car but then i guess as you tell everyone that alot of the work and research was done by you to help des get to where he is now lmfao

Guest westallc

there are no jobs on these cars except mapping that i cant do myself but as a qualified mechanic i should be able to!!!!!!!

and as for saying i said des doesnt have a clue far from it imo des has and will have vast experience in these cars from the vast amount of research and work he put into his and continues to do so ( NOT YOU ) so dont twist it to get des involved!!!!!!!!!

Edited by westallc

really thats where you talk **** as if you recall my yellow one was standard when i brought it ha ha all the work was done by ME no one else unlike yours fella ha ha

and a properly running gt28 would mince your car top end without a doubt.

but you talking from des experience not yours yet again it all about des and his car but then i guess as you tell everyone that alot of the work and research was done by you to help des get to where he is now lmfao

As you now choose to make this personal, please tell me where I have said that I have done any research for Des, and would now ask you to back up this statement with a fact or evidence, but I will not hold my breath, although I would add that having owned mine from Aug 2001 until Nov 2008, and as that was one of the first batch of Mk1 Octy vRS's in the UK, I suppose I was one of the people that tried things and broke them to find out if they worked, rather than just post up and get the advice for free.

Now calm down, its only a car.

If you calm down and read the post correctly, I stated that even Des had advised on numerous occasions against going down the big turbo, not that you had said he had not got a clue, please read the post correctly.

In post nine you stated that the poster could not be running anywhere near 350bhp, and when he posts up a Jabba dyno to support his claim you accuse Jabba, in your words, of being "Nice to you" with their BHP figures, have you asked them about this allegation before posting on open forum?

Guest westallc

lol you are funny you have on many occasions told me about how you helped with des with his car etc etc and you even have slagged of various rolling roads aswell so dont start the that rubbish. your the one that always talks about you and des not me !!!!!!!!

you made it more personal by trying to make out that i think des hasnt a clue and you trying to be clever. me and des have had issues over the last month and you dont need to make things worse!!!!!!! i respect des for what he has done and also what hes done to save us money by doing what hes done wether we listen or not.

Edited by westallc

lol you are funny you have on many occasions told me about how you helped with des with his car etc etc and you even have slagged of various rolling roads aswell so dont start the that rubbish. your the one that always talks about you and des not me !!!!!!!!

you made it more personal by trying to make out that i think des hasnt a clue and you trying to be clever. me and des have had issues over the last month and you dont need to make things worse!!!!!!! i respect des for what he has done and also what hes done to save us money by doing what hes done wether we listen or not.

Right, as you wish to keep picking at this in an attempt to gain some respect lets ask for your proof of any of the allegations you are trying to level at me, in your obvious attempt to avoid answering any of the relevant questions in the previous posts.

Please show us all where I have slagged off various rolling roads, I never had any reason to do so, as my car old Octy vRS always made consistant figures of 233 to 238bhp on Power Engineering, Marlins, Surrey Rolling Road etc, except once at Impossible at Canterbury where it made just 226bhp, and if you remember Mike at IP kept it on the rollers to try and find out where the problem for the reduced figures was.

Show me where it was I that said that you thought Des does not have a clue, for if you actually read the posts, all I said was that he had, on numerous occasions told people who had asked about tuning Octy vRS's not to bother as it was not worth the money, and he should know with the money he has throw at his car, Des he is a true mate to me, and has been a personal friend off the forum for years, which is something he will never be to you after the way you treated him recently.

I hope this now brings your vitriolic tirades to and end, and in closing can you please answer the last question in a previous post, this being where you accuse Jabba, a forum sponsor of being, in your words not mine, "Kind to you" with their dyno figures, and have to ask if you have approached them with your findings, and what their reply was to your unsubstanciated allegations, as I am sure Jabba would like to see your evidence.