Strange noise after starting. Like a cow :)

After turning the car over and when the revs drop to the right idle speed I hear a short noise like a moo...

Any ideas?

Alternator?

Craig

My 9N Polo used to Moo. But it was the vent pipe on the petrol tank and very obviously came from the back of the car...

I had similar sounding symptons on my car when I bought it, it was repaired under warranty with a new starter motor - this sorted it. My symptons was a screechy-whiny noise for a couple of seconds after starting the car.

Coincidentally my GF said earlier today i should search on here to see if we could get help to diagnose a noise we have on start up on our Mk1 Octy vRS - as far as i can make out it sounds like the screechy whir as per the youtube video above.

I'll get the garage to have a look at the starter motor when i get it serviced, i'll suggest a clean as mentioned above.

Thanks

Just listened to the youtube clip, that was exactly like the noise on my car, the garage didn't try cleaning or repairing the starter or anything like that, it was simply replaced and that sorted it. Not cheap mind you I think it was about £120 for a VW approved refurbed starter motor.