60K Cambelt myth?

wja96

Here is the current service table

post-2559-12925089786597_thumb.jpg

Notes:

VAG consider a cambelt change to be a repair item - not a service item.

Get the dealer to do a VIN search to determine the date range that applies to your car. The date is NOT the date of purchase/registration!

If you replace all the cambelt kit items with the latest parts, you can move to the updated service interval.

You can see from the table that in some cases the tensioner needs to be replaced after every other cambelt. My advice is to replace it with every cambelt.

Please note that's appearing as a black rectangle on my screen and when I click on it only the top third of the image is there - please check - and please advise the source

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That may be a technical definition so that when you purchase a two year servicing deal as I did, the cambelt change isn't included? (As I was advised when I asked)

Also the fact that it's often not the belt itself that is the issue, but the tensioners.

It's as important these are replaced, along with the waterpump, as it is the belt itself.

Steve

Please note that's appearing as a black rectangle on my screen and when I click on it only the top third of the image is there - please check - and please advise the source

2nd time lucky...

Here is the current service table

post-2559-12925172079201_thumb.jpg

Notes:

Get the dealer to do a VIN search to determine the date range that applies to your car. The date is NOT the date of purchase/registration!

If you replace all the cambelt kit items with the latest parts, you can move to the updated service interval.

You can see from the table that in some cases the tensioner needs to be replaced after every other cambelt. My advice is to replace it with every cambelt.

i work as a tech in a skoda dealer and its 120000 km = 75000 miles or 4 years skoda do not say anything about time interval dut dealers put the 4 year interval there so it comes inline with the 4th year service if you look in the front of your service book it tells you 120000 km iv seen belts go for 140000 miles without any ploblem the belts are very good and not seen one snap in 8 years of the brand

Interesting ... both of the local Skoda dealers say 60k/4yrs for both my Fabia (1.9TDi PD100) and my parents' Octavia (2.0TDi PD140). :S

My dads' Transporter (2.5 SDI) had the belt go on it at 65,000 miles (luckily with no damage!) & he was told that it had been revised to 60k/4 years from 80,000 by the VW dealer ... I assume that that the belts across the range are going to have similar intervals ...

Forget the Haynes Manual and hear say you have heard it from one Skoda Tech now another. The latest official Skoda Service Advisors Guide to Cambelt Replacement quotes

Fabia 6Y PD, engine up to July 2003, 4 years or 90.000km (55,000 miles)

August 2003 onwards, 4 years or 120,000km (74,000 miles)

Edited by vokey

Forget the Haynes Manual and hear say you have heard it from one Skoda Tech now another. The latest official Skoda Service Advisors Guide to Cambelt Replacement quotes

Fabia 6Y PD, engine up to July 2003, 4 years or 90.000km (55,000 miles)

August 2003 onwards, 4 years or 120,000km (74,000 miles)

So my facelift (Sept '04) Fabia COULD go well past the 62k I'm worrying about - in terms of mileage, at least. Not that I'm going to, as it'll be 4 years elapsed and fits nicely with the timing other major service work, but even so it makes me that bit more confident.

Thanks! :thumbup: