howmany kms & hrs without stopping?

hi,

i just went for a long drive of around 310kms in my octavia2 without stopping, it toke me around 7hrs to complete that many kms as i live in india where we dont have very high speed highways,

i want to know if it was ok doing that may kms in so many hrs without stopping & give a break to the car?

thanks..

If the car wasn't showing any sign of overheating, then it will be fine. I did nearly 720km in 7.5 hours, with only one stop to drop off the package I was delivering, and I had not problems at all. I worked out in fact that I'd not braked or changed gear in over 150km! Car is fine over 100,000km later!

Since the OP is in India and the thread title mentions kms it makes sense to use the speeds/distances of that country.

I have driven my superb for more than 12 hours a day at between 120-130KMH for 2 days on our run down to southern spain and back, a total distance of well over 4800 kms return.

The car won't care as long as it's not overheating and has sufficient oil; I not infrequently do that sort of distance in about 4 hours non-stop. (needs roads where you can keep up about 110 to 120 km/h for significant periods though)

I'd not fancy trying to do it in 7 hours though, because I'm not sure I could keep my concentration up for that long.

7hrs without stopping!!! Are you catheterised?! :giggle:

...I once did 120 miles for an ice cream - had to find a pee stop though!! :rofl:

i did stop for a pee at a petrol pump but left the car running as had passengers in the car,

was a quick 2mins stop :smirk:

Edited by insane79

Around 1990 I did over 1600km in just over 16 hours in a Passat, Rotterdam to Ukraine border, just petrol/toilet stops. Less than 50% motorway. At the end I was driving like a zombie and its only because back then the roads were deserted at night that I got away with it. Nowadays traffic levels wont permit such a high average speed, and I would be a fool to drive anymore than 8 hours in a day (with at least two 60 min breaks). It was idiotic even back then.

Then there was the case of Lisa Marie Nowak who drove 900 miles from Houston to Orlando.

Edited by xman

Around 1990 I did over 1600km in just over 16 hours in a Passat, Rotterdam to Ukraine border, just petrol/toilet stops. Less than 50% motorway. At the end I was driving like a zombie and its only because back then the roads were deserted at night that I got away with it. Nowadays traffic levels wont permit such a high average speed, and I would be a fool to drive anymore than 8 hours in a day (with at least two 60 min breaks). It was idiotic even back then.

Then there was the case of Lisa Marie Nowak who drove 900 miles from Houston to Orlando.

mmmm I have done UK to Bulgaria in 32 hours, got stuck at the Romanian border for 4 or so hours because I hit a branch that somebody had put across the road and lost number plate. 2600kms only stopping for coffee-fuel-pee breaks.

i wouldn't worry bout the car - it'll b fine.

its the driver i'd b worried about - driving for so long without taking a suffcient break is just plain stupid!

u should b taking a break for every 2hrs of driving.

"stop-revive-survive"

I did Samoens (French Alps,near Mont Blanc) to Wirral in one day, 960 miles (1544KM)and made the usual rest breaks etc. Never even occurred to me that this could be a problem for the car, in fact, it isn't :thumbup:

Actually it's the same principle with light bulbs, once hot they are more efficient and waste less energy, so once engine is properly hot it will run nicely for hours, compared to start and stop engine every so often.