OEM Xenon headlight upgrade

Good job I bagged mine soon from a member on here eh. One was totally smashed ie the lens and the outer but the inners was salvageable and fixable.

I've since got another standard light and have repair and transplanted everything from it to the other.

Tried one in yesterday and hey presto they work.

People go on about headlight washers but I'll just wash mine by hand :)

Can post pics up if interested in another thread

If you ever figure out how to get the self levelling working - let me know... I've got the rear sensor... but missing a wiring loom! Also not sure where the loom goes to if made up...

Im not putting the self leveling on. Don't plan on taking it to sea.

The adjuster motors work and I'll just run with it on setting 3.

They'll have less glare than people running hid kits so don't know why people complain.

Im not putting the self leveling on. Don't plan on taking it to sea.

The adjuster motors work and I'll just run with it on setting 3.

They'll have less glare than people running hid kits so don't know why people complain.

You'll fail an MOT from January. And they ARE going to be checking.

http://wrecks2riches...changes-to-mot/

It's on serveral other sites, and a member on here (FordFan?) backed most of it up, and I think he said he heard it from an MoT testers conference or something.

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=vosa+mot+changes&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=889b1624b986748d

Edited by TriggerFish

If you read further on it's a load of nonsense. I will ask my mate who is a MOT tester ;)

No, it's not a load of nonsense at all. VOSA are clamping down on MOT testing stations that pass illegal cars and I think you'll find the new guidance notes will press MOT testers to do the job right with loss of approval on the cards for testing stations that don't comply.

I can understand HID kits but not oem xenons. He said as long as the beam patterns line up and the adjusters move the beam then its fine. There not going to search for a sensor or load the rear up with 10 bags of sand.

Some people make me laugh.

I notice some people have HID bulbs in standard headlights and blue main beam tint bulbs, yet throw the rule book at me as I'm not ok to put proper projectors minus the self leveler?

I will post up some of my picture soon when my proper bulbs arrive :)

They don't need to look for a sensor. They just need to check if you have a thumbwheel to adjust the headlamp range and if you have washers.

Anyway, I'm glad you got a laugh out of it. Hopefully you'll still be laughing come your next MOT. And I wouldn't bank on your mate risking his livelihood to pass it either.

I have a thumbwheel thanks.

I'll bet you that laugh that my car passes and I'll still pay half what you pay for a MOT.

He knows that if anything is wrong I fix it. He wouldn't let anything serious through. He isn't a **** and fail it on a bulb, he will just get one from the stores and replace it.

So if anything is to go by in that link including ecu checker which has never been heard of I think I'll still put these lights in.

Thanks for your concern regardless

I'll bet you that laugh that my car passes and I'll still pay half what you pay for a MOT.

I don't pay for my MOT as I have the Skoda car serviced on a plan and they don't charge extra for the MOT as obviously if they service the car properly it should always fly through. And the TT and A4 are too young to need an MOT.

He wouldn't let anything serious through.

Oh, so he just lets the little illegal things pass? That's OK then.

So if anything is to go by in that link including ecu checker which has never been heard of I think I'll still put these lights in.

There won't be an ECU check. There will be an emissions check and if the car doesn't meet Euro III/IV/V/VI etc. (whichever applies to the car) it will fail. As for the lights stick your reg. number up if you're that confident.

Thanks for your concern regardless

That's all it is, just trying to stop someone doing something they will have to half-undo later.

Just bluetack the washer covers on (they don't work everytime you use the washers just every now and then so they can't check they are working) and put a bit of take over the adjuster wheel in the dash. Ala MOT pass!

Matt

They MUST work the first time you use the windscreen washers with the headlamps on. I know of a TT owner who had the fuse pulled (they just make the headlamps dirtier and mess up the bodywork) and they failed him.

If washers are fitted they have to test them.

I don't make the rules, I'm just pointing out that they exist.

Jobs worth here, haha get a grip man.

Shows how much you know. There are no emissions test on a diesel, it's called a smoke test.

Now you just take your a$$ back to the dealers comfy seating area and get your credit card out.

Serviced regulary and it will pass. Comment of the day that.

Now take your willy and wave it somewhere else where they care

Jobs worth here, haha get a grip man.

Shows how much you know. There are no emissions test on a diesel, it's called a smoke test.

Now you just take your a$$ back to the dealers comfy seating area and get your credit card out.

Serviced regulary and it will pass. Comment of the day that.

Now take your willy and wave it somewhere else where they care

2012 is coming. New MOT requirements are coming. Correct, there is a smoke test, that's an emissions test. And it's about to get a whole lot tighter. And yes, if you MAINTAIN a car, it will sail through an MOT.

I maintain my cars. No willy waving, not a jobsworth, just sensibly paying for stuff when required and not taking the mickey with the legislation.

You're probably thinking "It won't retrospectively apply to older cars" but actually, when youir car was built, it had to comply with an EU emissions standard (probably Euro III or Euro IV if it's a BLT engined car) and it still has to comply with those standards.

Like I say, if you're so comfortable that it's all OK, put up your registration number and the testing station you're going to use to get your illegal xenons through the MOT.

As for willy-waving, I'm not the one bragging on about how I've got a chavtastic mate who'll do me a cut-price dodgy MOT "because he know's I'll put it right". And I'm probably paying for the bulb he's stealing from stores for you.

Stealing?

Who put 10p in you this morning.

How is a smoke test an emissions test?

Emissions is the chemicals in exhaust gas. Smoke is different.

Why should I put up my reg number? So people like you go off and ring the associated people. No thanks.

People that maintain their cars doesnt mean it will sail through. Corrosion, rust. And a new car will corrode if water is present. I.e a drain hole is clogged.

Illegal xenons haha. Its just not got the sensor, yet I have a thumbswitch to adjust. Sound illegal to me.

How is a smoke test an emissions test?

It comes out of the exhaust pipe. That makes it an emissions test.

Emissions is the chemicals in exhaust gas. Smoke is different.

CO2 and particulates are both emissions tests.

Why should I put up my reg number? So people like you go off and ring the associated people. No thanks.

But why not? If everything was OK why would anyone have to call anyone?

People that maintain their cars doesnt mean it will sail through. Corrosion, rust. And a new car will corrode if water is present. I.e a drain hole is clogged.

Maintenance is very different to servicing. Servicing just replaces parts when they break or are dangerously worn out. Maintenance keeps the car as good as it can be. No clogged drain holes, no 1.6mm tyres, replace the air filter every 10,000 miles, fix all the stone-chips asan when they appear etc.

Illegal xenons haha. Its just not got the sensor, yet I have a thumbswitch to adjust. Sound illegal to me.

Yes, they are illegal. Ask your mate, the MOT tester. To have xenon headlamps you require self-levelling (not a thumbwheel) and headlamp washers. I don't make the rules, I don't even enforce them, but I am trying to inform you of what they are.

Well, I'm putting them on regardless. If it fails, I'll put the standard lamps back in. That ok for you? My reg is T5 YMO for your records :giggle:

I'm sure all the police drivers on here will keep an eye out for you. Now they know you're wilfully breaking the law by installing something you know to be illegal.

And you'll know whether or not they pass an MOT in August ;)

I'm sure all the police drivers on here will keep an eye out for you. Now they know you're wilfully breaking the law by installing something you know to be illegal.

And you'll know whether or not they pass an MOT in August ;)

You think I'm bothered about you knowing my reg? How old are you again? 12?

31st of August to be precise :giggle:

For anyone that is interested in the OEM fit. I will create a thread to show you what I have done so far.

wja96 is not invited to my party, aka no rule book wavers as the so called law isnt in situe

• 1 year later...