Microsoft Office 2010

Clunkclick

Do NOT buy from the second and third links, they are links to illegal software. You usually get reasonably good copies of the packaging, the disk is a CDR/DVDR and the product key may or may not work and thats if you get anything at all.

Software4students is good if you have a relative who has access to a student email account.

Failing that, speak to your employer, they may offer the Microsoft Home Use Program. I got my Office 2K10 Pro Plus edition for £8.95, a real bargain.

That's just reminded me, I think MOD used to offer discounted MS software to employees who were students through its Software Box supplier - suspect that has gone the way of all flesh with the cut-backs.

Fallback, can anyone get an address on JANET :giggle: ?

Postscript

Found it.

http://www.softbox.co.uk/Company/

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Do NOT buy from the second and third links, they are links to illegal software. You usually get reasonably good copies of the packaging, the disk is a CDR/DVDR and the product key may or may not work and thats if you get anything at all.

Software4students is good if you have a relative who has access to a student email account.

Failing that, speak to your employer, they may offer the Microsoft Home Use Program. I got my Office 2K10 Pro Plus edition for £8.95, a real bargain.

On second-look, I got the impression that it might not be entirely Kocher - just look at the grammar on the FAQ replies:-

http://software-stocks.com/FAQ

Equally that could just be the work of the US version of Work Experience student. Cool !

Nick

Fallback, can anyone get an address on JANET :giggle: ?

Or any bonuses for an r.mil.uk email address?

I can get mine pretty cheap through a company deal, or via my MSDN subscription too :-)

Why pay for Office 2010?

You can get a free Office suite from here: http://www.openoffice.org/

Does exactly the same & offers very high levels of compatibility with previous MS Office products. I've ditched Office 2007 in favour of it.

If you work for the organisations I am involved in then use of open source software is prohibited. All Software we use must be from a recognised vendor, have full manufacturers software support and be approved for use by central government.

Open office does not have a compatible version of MS Access, nor does it have an equivalent of MS Outlook than connect and fully operate with a MS Exchange server. For home use open office is fine most of the time, but now that open office is being developed by Oracle and not Sun future versions of Open Office are likely to be paid for ones.

I'm thinking what options I have as apparently in 9 days my MS office (2007) is likely to shut down. It was already on a PC tower I bought alone. I keep getting "not genuine version" warnings on outlook.... Hmmmm....

I got my office 10 through the work scheme for £8.95. It is the full suite but has "not for commercial use" on the top of the screen. No doubt there is a tag somewhere in the files it creates which would allow microsoft to identify whether or not a commercial edition has been used for business use.

The student ones as well have the same restriction

Like I said the best bet is with the OEM/OEI software, it's cheaper, or you could do a group buy & get a VLK version of Office.

Question to the OP: Does it need to be MSO2010?

Surely MSO 2007 will suffice, there's not much difference between the two & it's only very serious "Power Users" that will require all of the features of the full MSO suite.

The main difference between 2007 and 2010 is that outlook now fits in with the ribbons and so on, whereas in 2K7 it was very much the same as Outlook 2003. The frontend may look the same in the other applications, but they seem to be tweaked a bit at the backend.

My trial copy of 2010 expired Xmas day, after which E-mail creation/send and doc creation/save is disabled.

Seems to respond again though if the system clock gets time warped - downside is everything gets time stamped with the wrong date.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

My trial copy of 2010 expired Xmas day, after which E-mail creation/send and doc creation/save is disabled.

Seems to respond again though if the system clock gets time warped - downside is everything gets time stamped with the wrong date.

Nick

You may also find antivirus suites shut down when doing this. Norton certainly does, and getting it reactivated with Norton isnt an easy process. Sister in law tried it to keep her trial office copy working.