Putting new radio in Octavia Mk1 - can't find permanent live!

jbax

Hello all! Been reading this site for a while but this is my first post!

I have a 2002 TDI Octavia, and my girlfriend bought a new radio and speakers for my birthday to replace the stock cassette head unit... Having a little trouble getting it working 100% though!

I am putting in a JVC KD-401 thingy... And my friend, an electrician, has been doing the work for me, we came unstuck though.

We put it all in, working fine, then I realised after a day that it wasn't remembering any audio settings like the EQ's.

Eventually troubleshooted this as likely to be that the permanent live isn't connected to the head unit itself.

So I went back to him, but we can't find the permanent live! We have the red and yellow wires giving 12v with the ignition on, but when no key in the car, the radio won't start.

Also found out another funny problem, if I put the key in, wait for the coil, then turn the engine on, the radio boots up and works fine. If I give it a few secs before turning the engine on, the radio which startes when the key turned, turns off when the engine starts up.

Attached to this post are some pics of the wires that we are dealing with. I have read that you have to switch the permanent and ignition lives or something, but we did switch the ones that have the plastic junctions in them, but it doesn't work with them switched. Also - we tried to check the fuses to see if that was an issue, but we don't know which fuses are for the radio!

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks all,

Josh

img00267201012311459.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img00268201012311459.jpg

• Like 1

Hello all! Been reading this site for a while but this is my first post!

I have a 2002 TDI Octavia, and my girlfriend bought a new radio and speakers for my birthday to replace the stock cassette head unit... Having a little trouble getting it working 100% though!

I am putting in a JVC KD-401 thingy... And my friend, an electrician, has been doing the work for me, we came unstuck though.

We put it all in, working fine, then I realised after a day that it wasn't remembering any audio settings like the EQ's.

Eventually troubleshooted this as likely to be that the permanent live isn't connected to the head unit itself.

So I went back to him, but we can't find the permanent live! We have the red and yellow wires giving 12v with the ignition on, but when no key in the car, the radio won't start.

Also found out another funny problem, if I put the key in, wait for the coil, then turn the engine on, the radio boots up and works fine. If I give it a few secs before turning the engine on, the radio which startes when the key turned, turns off when the engine starts up.

Attached to this post are some pics of the wires that we are dealing with. I have read that you have to switch the permanent and ignition lives or something, but we did switch the ones that have the plastic junctions in them, but it doesn't work with them switched. Also - we tried to check the fuses to see if that was an issue, but we don't know which fuses are for the radio!

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks all,

Josh

img00267201012311459.jpg

img00268201012311459.jpg

Josh

First thing is sack the electrician ! If he cannot sort it then he is not very good !

It is very difficult to do tests over a forum, and not seen what you have actually done, but you need a multi-meter and check all the pins for a permanent live and also a Ign live, You will find that it will be the red and the yellow one from your Photo, and as you say you might have to swap them over, but if you cannot find a permanent live, sounds as if you have blown a fuse , so have a look in your hand book for the location of the fuse.

Radiotwo

Josh

First thing is sack the electrician ! If he cannot sort it then he is not very good !

It is very difficult to do tests over a forum, and not seen what you have actually done, but you need a multi-meter and check all the pins for a permanent live and also a Ign live, You will find that it will be the red and the yellow one from your Photo, and as you say you might have to swap them over, but if you cannot find a permanent live, sounds as if you have blown a fuse , so have a look in your hand book for the location of the fuse.

Radiotwo

Yes I had a look at the fuse guide in the owners manual but it didn't say any that could be the radio!

We did find one wire, the grey one, which had a constant 2-3v but the connector that came with the radio doesn't actually take it anywhere...

Will have to check the fuses tomorrow then!

The grey wire is more than likely the K line diagnostic wire.

But normally all you have to do is swap the red and yellow bullet connectors and thats it.

i did think that when I swapped them, that should have worked according to most of the people I read on here.

I am going to take another look at the fuses this morning, to check that everything is ok.

If the fuses come back ok, then could there be a problem with the cables themselves?

There are 2 fuses for the radio, the original radio will work quiet happily with no 12v permanent supply so it could have been blown for some time.

The octavia fusebox diagram is for LHD cars, for RHD you need to mirror image it. The main fusebox is located on the end of the dashboard (drivers side) and not the one under the bonnet. Remove cover and there should be a diagram on the back of the cover. The fuse will also power a number of other devices, so see what else in the car is not working, check things like the interior light, cigarette lighter, horn.

Grey wire should not be connected to anything.

There are 2 fuses for the radio, the original radio will work quiet happily with no 12v permanent supply so it could have been blown for some time.

The octavia fusebox diagram is for LHD cars, for RHD you need to mirror image it. The main fusebox is located on the end of the dashboard (drivers side) and not the one under the bonnet. Remove cover and there should be a diagram on the back of the cover. The fuse will also power a number of other devices, so see what else in the car is not working, check things like the interior light, cigarette lighter, horn.

Grey wire should not be connected to anything.

Hi Manny, yes the grey wire isn't actually connected to anything at all.

I will go out and check the fuses now. Nothing electrical in the car isn't working that I know of.

Will let you know of the results of the fuse test...

Sorted it!

Turns out there was a blown fuse. Got a replacement from halfords and then switched the red and yellow cables over.

Now it remembers settings and all is good!

Thanks everyone for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

which were the fuses for the audio please? I have the same problem I think. And also did you end up with the leads red to yellow etc?

Sorted it!

Turns out there was a blown fuse. Got a replacement from halfords and then switched the red and yellow cables over.

Now it remembers settings and all is good!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Hi

which were the fuses for the audio please? I have the same problem I think. And also did you end up with the leads red to yellow etc?

In the handbook for mine it's marked as Radin, and of course it's the mirror image of what's in the book.