1.8TSi technical info

Is there anywhere I can find detailed info, like a workshop manual, for the 1.8TSi engine? I can't even find out if it has belt driven camshaft or chain.

Here is the Skoda erWin site.

Pay to play, although I don't know how much it is to subscribe...

https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showHome.do;jsessionid=0E608DA843FC9B7655F48FD59422FA53.ASTPVWE1

"erWin is the Electronic Repair and Workshop Information service from Škoda Auto for independent garages, vehicle fleets and all other companies which undertake professional level repairs and servicing to Škoda Auto vehicles. erWin also is available to private persons who want to repair their Škoda Auto vehicle themselves.

erWin shows you within seconds everything you need to repair and maintain your Škoda vehicle. The information is provided online. Always informed. Always up-do-date.

erWin contains information specific to individual vehicles, e.g. technical product information or maintenance tables. You have to log on first for this application.

erWin knows even the smallest differences between the models.

Because erWin contains all the workshop manuals from Škoda Auto, together with many other useful information to improve service.

erWin - the time and cost saver for your company!"

Edited by silver1011

1.8 TSI engine is VW code EA888. There is an interesting guide for the 2 litre EA888 engine that powers the TSI VRS and the 1.8 is a sleeved version of that engine so yes it has chain driven cams. If you find a link to an even more techincal manual then please let us know although what I would like to know about is more about the 7 speed DSG I have mated to it and how to get it give the best sports perfromance when pushing it because I heard it has an auto learn function ie is it quicker in sport mode or manual where it changes at 6500/7000 rpm or whatever?

Edited by lol

Hard to find pdf files in english. Found a couple in German though.

Here is one with a little technical info about the 1.8 TSI:

http://www.enotes.com/topic/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_petrol_engines#1.8_TSI.2FTFSI_118-125kW_.28EA888.29

Here is a completer one in German (although it is an audi release, the engine should be the same)

http://freeweb.siol.net/liliko37/mp3/SSP%20384%20-%20Audi%201,8l%204V%20TFSI-Motor%20mit%20Kette.pdf

That's great guys - the EA888 blurb linked above shows the engine has "simplex roller chains" for the cam shaft drive, instead of the previous toothed rubber belts. So presumably no belt change at 4 years.

I assume they don't change the chains just for the sake of it !!

If you use this link there is a PDF file in English which details the 2.0TSI engine which is identical to the 1.8TSI externally.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z9zbbo9jsaeh87z

Very interesting file. BUT when you get to the cam chain drives it specifically states the chain is not the roller type (on the 2L) but a "better", more complex type made up of plates.

The other info, on the EA888 engine (1.8TSi) says it is a simplex roller chain. I don't suppose it matters much but it would be useful to have clarified.