Cd changer problem

Hello there peeps and a very happy new year to you all :)

Ok so onto my prob. My Cd changer had been acting up for the last couple of months but is now at the point where it won't play any cds (proper and cdrs). the display on the headunit just comes up displaying ''Surface''. I've given the cds i'm wanting to play a good clean before putting them in.(and yes i have made sure the cds are the correct way around! :rofl: ).

Today ive tried Tight northeners suggested fix http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/163781-how-to-fix-the-cd-changer-mechanic-error/page__p__2215008__hl__disk%20changer__fromsearch__1entry2215008 but still to no avail :|

So on that note does anyone know any other possible fixes or should i just try to get another changer (I've seen a couple on ebay)??

Any advice would be very welcome, hate being without my music/sick of radios repeating the same old gash!!!

:)

Edited by Kickel

It sounds like the laser is either worn out of dirty.

MECHANIC means mechanism problem, SURFACE means it can't read the disc. Have the discs got condensation of anything on them?

p.s. Cheers for trying my fix :thumbup:

Edited by rk696

Before biting the bullet, are you sure that the problem is not temperature related. Mine hasn't been behaving that well in the past several weeks, but have noticed that later in the day when the temp crept well above 0 degrees today, the units seems to work fine.

I don't know what the recommended operating temps are of these units, but as they get older they may become a bit more sensitive.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice and i knew somone would come out with the old disc right way up idea! (madmike01uk) :rofl:

shroud - I think you may be onto something with temp affecting the changer as its been since the temps went down that the probs got worse so i've wipped the changer out and got it in the house. keep it in for a couple of days and i'll put it back in at the weekend and see what happens.

rk696 - I thought your idea was in with a good shout and there was defo a bit of grime on the pads. :thumbup: As i said to shroud ive got everything in now so i'll take it back out at the weekend and see how it goes. means i can eliminate any probs with moisture on the disks/inside the changer. :)

Once again cheers for the replies. i'll post up after ive put the changer back in let you know how it goes :)

I bought my vRS in August and I've always had this problem - therefore I find it hard to believe it's something to do with the temperature.

Maybe it's just given up the ghost?

It unlikely that everyones problems with their circa 10 year old cd changers will be the same, however, after making sure discs are inserted correctly and clean, etc and trying the case cleaning procedure as per earlier link, one the less costly remedies might be just waiting for a bit of warmer weather to see whether it makes a difference. It has with mine, so it saved forking out for a replacement, at least for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst the changer was worse in sub zero temps it still wasn't reading discs 5 and 6, so bit the bullet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-GENUINE-AUDI-TT-8N-ROADSTER-6-CD-AUTO-CHANGER-/280591796946?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4154930ad2

This one was the same as mine, albeit it says Audi. I paid £100, as it was on offer earlier in Jan, which i thought was pretty good for a brand new one.

Now all works fine. :thumbup:

This sounds like the same problem I had in the summer.

Due to age the laser finally packed up on mine so I replaced it with another - it is made by Panasonic. At first it was just certain discs that it wouldn't read then it grew progressively worse.

The downside is they cost around £30+vat at trade so sometimes you can get a second hand cd changer from ebay for around the same price.

Of course you have to be handy with the screwdrivers etc to take it all apart too.

Works fine now though.