Halogen Headlight >>>>>>HID Xenon Headlights

Surely its the high beam that's important? Most of us drive through the countryside despite living in towns/cities I think?

Or is it all just a cosmetic exercise?

Low beam is still more important and used more often than high beam. The low beam pattern is responsible for illuminating road signs and dangers near the car - both of which are more important than dangers further up the road. Also it's no good only having a fantastic high beam if there is oncoming traffic forcing you to drive on rubbish low beams.

Having said that I would have preferred to get a car that had bi-xenons instead of just dipped xenons.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had the same problem that you are facing

I was excited to have the original ds1 lamps installed on my ambient, so i had bought full sets of xenon head lights and payed a good amount for them.

Once i installed them and pluged them i had faced two serious problems:

- the xenon lights were only working when the engine is stopped, once i turn the ignition on the xenon lamps starts to flash because the xenon lights needs huge amount of electrical current which is not available in ambient because it's designed for halogen lamps.

- the second problem was that the leveling motor didn't work as the ambient is equiped with a knob inside the cabinet to fix the beam level and the motor inside the head light has only three wires, while all xenon lights comes with auto leveling sensors so the motor has totally different wires. (4 wires)

The first problem was fixed temporarly by the follwoing:

- i had installed a cut off relay beside the left head light

- the relay is getting a direct current wire from the battery

- i had cut the wire which is feeding the low beam in the head light and used this wire as a signal to power on the relay.

- the output of the relay is feeding the two low beam wire going toward the two head lights

- after that the xenon lights runs successfuly but now the error lamps on the dash board is always running because the circuit of the low beam is open

I hope some people here would have a better idea than mine for this issue.

But after that hard work, i had made some alignment for the lights and had made a trip around and would never go back to halogen or after markrt xenons, they are not comparable any way, also after that i had converted them to flat beam and the lighting area at the right side was even better and smoother.

• 3 weeks later...

Just been covered on the One Show on BBC1, a London cabbie complaining about xenons / HID's and how they dazzle, even when correctly adjusted.

They confirmed anyone upgrading to HID's without also fitting the headlight washers and auto levelling is breaking the law...

Just been covered on the One Show on BBC1, a London cabbie complaining about xenons / HID's and how they dazzle, even when correctly adjusted.

They confirmed anyone upgrading to HID's without also fitting the headlight washers and auto levelling is breaking the law...

Nothing we don't already know ;)

The complaining cabbie will also be breaking the law when he jumps a red light, speeds and uses his mobile phone when driving!!

Coming back to the OP

What if I have an aftermarket HID kit installed ....and I use the oem xenon bulbs (d1s 12v)??

Will it work ?

This would give me an absolutely oem look .!

Would this be possible ??

P.s - keepin in mind we are not breaking any laws here !

An interesting thread.

It would appear that the after-market fitters are not too worried about the changes.

We'll see if that is the same opinion when we get the first few MOT fails due to after-market HIDs being fitted.

As somebody who had after-market HIDs and now has "proper Xenons" there really is not comparission between the two.

The "proper Xenons" are miles better and worth every pound I paid for them.

I'll never go back to standard lighting again nor upgrade standard lighting.

There is a reason why proper Xenons cost £700 and your after-market kit costs £50 off EBay - the end result!

Coming back to the OP

What if I have an aftermarket HID kit installed ....and I use the oem xenon bulbs (d1s 12v)??

Will it work ?

This would give me an absolutely oem look .!

Would this be possible ??

P.s - keepin in mind we are not breaking any laws here !

OEM bulbs have a completely different fitting or bulb 'seat' so they won't fit I'm afraid.

An interesting thread.

It would appear that the after-market fitters are not too worried about the changes.

We'll see if that is the same opinion when we get the first few MOT fails due to after-market HIDs being fitted.

As somebody who had after-market HIDs and now has "proper Xenons" there really is not comparission between the two.

The "proper Xenons" are miles better and worth every pound I paid for them.

I'll never go back to standard lighting again nor upgrade standard lighting.

There is a reason why proper Xenons cost £700 and your after-market kit costs £50 off EBay - the end result!

Interesting. I've come from an '08 VRS with OEM Xenons to an '09 VRS with HID kit & not noticed any difference? :wonder:

Thing is, not everyone has the opportunity to buy new....

Nothing we don't already know ;)

My point was the increased media focus, 10 minutes coverage on BBC1 at prime time leads me to think this is more than just a determined London cabbie making a stand...

OEM bulbs have a completely different fitting or bulb 'seat' so they won't fit I'm afraid.

Interesting. I've come from an '08 VRS with OEM Xenons to an '09 VRS with HID kit & not noticed any difference? :wonder:

Thing is, not everyone has the opportunity to buy new....

The difference between the HID kit on my 56 Octy and me proper Xenon's is night and day.

If you want Xenon's you really should look for them in the car you buy - there is a good reason why Xenon's require the washers and auto-levellers.

Only time will show the illegality of the after-market HID's - I think it's February next year when we'll start seeing some MOT fails.

There appears to be people who know what they're talking about on here and having read the threads Im still a bit confused.....sorry.

A simple yes or no answer will do but can I simply swop the front xenon lights from the father-in-laws Skoda Mrk2 for the full halogen light assembly on the Mrk2 Im buying without both cars setting on fire?

There appears to be people who know what they're talking about on here and having read the threads Im still a bit confused.....sorry.

A simple yes or no answer will do but can I simply swop the front xenon lights from the father-in-laws Skoda Mrk2 for the full halogen light assembly on the Mrk2 Im buying without both cars setting on fire?

Sorry

But NO you can't do that ...

Sorry

But NO you can't do that ...

Ah well thanks anyway. It was always going to be a challenge finding an opportunity to swop the lights without him realising.

Cheers