Swap VRS TDI for Elegance TDI DSG?

Hi,

I’ve only had my VRS TDi for a couple of months although I’ve done quite a few miles in it. It’s by far the newest car I’ve owned and I really enjoy it. It’s not as quick as I’d hoped (coming from a tuned Audi S4) but it’s certainly not slow and is quick enough I’d say!

I have now insured my girlfriend on it but she struggles with the manual gearbox sometimes. Most of the time she’s ok, but I think she’d benefit from the DSG. She occasionally struggles to pull away either revving the engine too much or jerking the clutch up too quickly or sometimes misses a downchange and labours the engine. She’s a very good driver but I think she’d feel more comfortable in the DSG. I also think I would prefer the DSG at times. Driving around the centre of London this weekend was getting a bit tiresome with the manual gearbox.

Dilemma is, I can’t afford a DSG VRS, petrol or diesel. They’re just too expensive. I’ve seen this: AUTOTRADER LINK

Would you consider this a reasonable swap for my 56 plate (MY2006.5) VRS TDI estate? 87,000 miles, full service history, just had the cambelt and brakes changed? Lots of options as seen in my sig. Would I really feel a drop in power? Are there any other differences between my VRS and the Elegance model? What were the upgrades on the MY2006.5 onwards cars?

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by dan yeates

Having tested both manual and DSG prior to my purchase, I feel there is no difference in performance. If anything the DSG is quicker as there is no interruption when changing gear.

However the car in the ad is the 'normal' 2ltr 140hp. The VRS is 170hp so you would probably feel a difference

However the car in the ad is the 'normal' 2ltr 140hp. The VRS is 170hp so you would probably feel a difference

Yes, this is what I mean. I can't afford the VRS TDi, so I'm undecided whether I should stick with the VRS manual car or swap for the Elegance DSG. Which is most important!

She occasionally struggles to pull away either revving the engine too much or jerking the clutch up too quickly or sometimes misses a downchange and labours the engine. She’s a very good driver

Doesn't sound like it :giggle:

Personally it's not just the power I would miss going from a vRS to an Elegance. The Sports seats and trim make the interior a much nicer place to be and the vRS looks sooo much better IMO .

I'd stick with the one you've got, surely she'll get used to it? (Failing that, bin her and find a woman who can drive :p ).

p.s. Did you frequent VX220.org a few years back?

Doesn't sound like it :giggle:

Personally it's not just the power I would miss going from a vRS to an Elegance. The Sports seats and trim make the interior a much nicer place to be and the vRS looks sooo much better IMO .

I'd stick with the one you've got, surely she'll get used to it? (Failing that, bin her and find a woman who can drive :p ).

p.s. Did you frequent VX220.org a few years back?

I was waiting for a post like that! She is actually pretty good. Considering her only car was a mk3 MR2 and that was over a year ago now (no driving since as someone drove into it and wrote it off) she jumped in the Octavia and held a perfect line in the middle of her lane as if she was driving her little MR2. She just sometimes gets in a flap with the clutch! She once impressed me when she hit a very slippery corner in her MR2 and managed to drift it round whilst keeping the power on, in the dark. It then snatched back and she held onto it until it straightened up! I was white as a sheep but she thought nothing of it! I was quite amazed! I'm not sure if that could be classed as good driving or not, I digress!

I agree, I much prefer the look of the VRS, both internally and externally, hence why I went for it. I'm sure she will get used to it. I'm letting her drive everywhere (we live and work together) for the next week to see how she gets on as she's not driven it much so far. I may test drive a DSG for my own curiosity!

Yes, I haven't visited VX220.org for a long time now. I owned a few a little while ago, a yellow one, blue one and a green one. My dad still has a couple of VX220 Turbos. One is still being rebuilt (over the past 3 years due to several complications!!!) and the other is stage 3 but currently SORN for the winter.

Ah, thought you were the guy that rebuilt them. Work(ed) selling boats or yachts or something similar did you not? (stalker mode). I sold my Lighting Yellow about 3 years ago so haven't been over there in years either.

To be fair if she doesn't have experience of driving lots of different cars and she hasn't driven for a year I'd imagine it'll just take her time to get used to it again. Don't do anything rash :thumbup:

Edited by Stevoraith

Ah, thought you were the guy that rebuilt them. Work(ed) selling boats or yachts or something similar did you not? (stalker mode). I sold my Lighting Yellow about 3 years ago so haven't been over there in years either.

To be fair if she doesn't have experience of driving lots of different cars and she hasn't driven for a year I'd imagine it'll just take her time to get used to it again. Don't do anything rash :thumbup:

I think I just secretly want a DSG box!

That is stalker mode! I do still sell sportsboat and RIB's! Yes, we still have the last damaged VXT we bought, it's progressing slowly. Unfortunately it had much more damage than what was advertised so it's taken a while to sort out. Also my dad has moved house so it's been put on the back burner for a while. Hoping to get cracking on it now it has it's own workshop at my dads new house. It was only a couple of years old and hadn't even done 10,000 miles when we bought it so it was worth a lot of money then. Unfortunately trying to sort out the problem with the seller has meant it's dragged on so long now it's not really worth much anymore. I may end up buying it if/when I sell my boat.

I do remember your username BTW. Nice car the LY

Edited by dan yeates