rear screen washers dribbling!

Hi all. Can anyone advise me where to look for the connectors that deliver screenwash to the rear washer. My washer is just dribbling out after the cold weather with a fair delay before anything gets to it at all. This was a warranty job when I got the car but the skoda mechanics were guarded as to where it came from and how they got to the connectors. I'm imagining one has almost popped off somewhere but need to know where to start looking. The fronts are working fine if thats any help. Just looking for clues as to where to start removing trim etc.......there doesn't appear to be any water in the spare wheel well which was where it collected the last time........Many thanks in advance.

Quickest and easiest check is to pop the nozzle cap up, then pull out the jet. Try it, if you get a good jet of water arcing up then its just a clogged nozzle.

Now the really funny part of the at test when your a techie is to ask an apprentice to check your brake lights just before you try it, if he stands in the right place its quite amusing.

Thanks for the replies. Where I am (Paisley, Scotland) its been snowing again (thought we'd seen the last of the stuff) and everything is totally frozen. Once it thaws again, I'll try out your suggestions....many thanks.

Two places to look. First behing the boot lid trim, where the pipe goes onto the back of the washer nozzle, secondly behind the left hand boot side trim, level with the roof pillar. Both common places for the pipe to come apart.

Just check the spare wheel bowl and the carpets (including the back of the carpets) are properly dry. If there's no sign of washer fluid leakage, chances are it's nothing more than blocked nozzles.

Mike

Help! How do I get the black plastic trim off the hatch to get at the rear wash wipe plumbing, my rear washer isnt working and noticed the spare wheel well is full of washer fluid. I can only see a single screw near the grab strap surely there is more than just this to it?

No, just the one screw, then it's pull off clips. Check this out to see the location of the clips

http://octavia-vrs.com/cms/content/tailgate-cover-removal

Just one thing, get somone to operate the washer whist looking to see where the leak is coming from. There's absolutely no point in taking the hatch trim off if the pipe is leaking behind the boot side panel carpet.

Only take the hatch trim off if the washer fluid is leaking through the lock at the bottom of the hatch, and if it is, make sure you neutralise the fluid with fresh water and then WD40 to get rid of it. If you don't, the fluid will corrode the electrics in the lock, causing central locking, opening and alarm problems. Don't neglect to neutralise the fluid (and this applies also if it's leaking behind the side carpet). I didn't bother neutralising the fluid that leaked through my hatchback, and ended up buying a new lock because the electrics were knackered.

Mike

many thanks Mike...off to give it a go now!

Many thanks for the replies folks. Gave it a go today and traced it back to the connection which is basically under the left hand side( as viewed from the back.) Bit of a pain to get at but once found the connector had come right off. Everywhere was awash with soapy water so dried it off and followed the advice reference neutralising everything with wd40..............a lot of wires there to corrode. A job well done.Thanks.

A leak from the rear washer pipe could well be what's currently messing with the electrics on my car too. Not likely to be in the boot though as the engine won't switch off and pretty much all the warning lights turn on on occasion. Where would it leak into the engine bay?

no idea where the front washer set up is mate. this washer thingy seems to be a major problem with skodas.... might be worth creating a new post for your problem and see what responses you get from that. sorry....can't help with that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody describe how i get to the pipe that is in the side panel of the boot?

I have water in the spare wheel well but no sign of any around the lock.

Yes, undo any screws in the luggage holding hooks etc and lift the rubber seals around the edge of the side trim and pull the trim away from the body into the boot. With a torch you should be able to see down into the bottom of the wheel arch which will probably be full of water. There is a rubber bung at the bottom of the wheel arch which can be removed from below the car to let the water out !

My washer pipes had come apart behind this left hand side trim. Gave me the same problems.