silly question, how long does " long life" oil mean?

Hi, I usually service my car every 15k km, I presume that's around 12k miles. But at the recent service, I only got long life oil. Does this mean I can service my car every 30k km now? If that is the case, do I still need to change my oil filter and air filter every 15k km? Another question is: I still don't know the difference between fixed service and variable service. Take my habbit of servicing my car as an example, I change the oil, the oil filter and the air filter every 15k, change the fuel filter every 30k and change the polen filter every 60k, do you call this fixed service or varialbe service? Last question, a mechanic told me that if you top up the oil with different brand, you can't start the engine, is this right? I never dare to try it myself, just in case I have to change the whole lot well before the next service due. :yes:

Hi, I usually service my car every 15k km, I presume that's around 12k miles. But at the recent service, I only got long life oil. Does this mean I can service my car every 30k km now? If that is the case, do I still need to change my oil filter and air filter every 15k km? Another question is: I still don't know the difference between fixed service and variable service. Take my habbit of servicing my car as an example, I change the oil, the oil filter and the air filter every 15k, change the fuel filter every 30k and change the polen filter every 60k, do you call this fixed service or varialbe service? Last question, a mechanic told me that if you top up the oil with different brand, you can't start the engine, is this right? I never dare to try it myself, just in case I have to change the whole lot well before the next service due. :yes:

A car is set for fixed or variable servicing,

Fixed is determined on mileage, say every 10,000 or whatever is in the service book

Variable is where the car works out from the way its driven when the service is needed & a light comes on on the dash telling you when its needed, this should be more miles than fixed, our last Mk1 Octy did around 22000 miles between services. On newer cars you get a count down from 1000 miles, this is the car that generally requires the "long life" oil BUT I gather some newer cars with Diesel particulate filters always need long life oil.

I see no problem in mixing oils of different brands if the viscocity & type is the same. Your mechanic may be refering to mixing ordinary oil with long life, I believe this is OK in an emergency but only a small quantity to top up & get you home or to the garage, from memory 1/2 litre but this will be clarified in your manual

Edited by Stuart_J

HTH

Hi, I usually service my car every 15k km, I presume that's around 12k miles. That is actually around 9,300 miles

But at the recent service, I only got long life oil. Does this mean I can service my car every 30k km now?

no, the car needs to be set to variable servicing, the actual mileage driven before the next service will depend on the type of driving done

If that is the case, do I still need to change my oil filter and air filter every 15k km? no

Another question is: I still don't know the difference between fixed service and variable service. Take my habbit of servicing my car as an example, I change the oil, the oil filter and the air filter every 15k, change the fuel filter every 30k and change the polen filter every 60k, do you call this fixed service or varialbe service? fixed, variable is just that - the intervals between changes varies depending on the type of driving done

Last question, a mechanic told me that if you top up the oil with different brand, you can't start the engine, is this right? I never dare to try it myself, just in case I have to change the whole lot well before the next service due. emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Not true, but you do need to stick to the relevant VW507.## oil specifications, this is the important bit not the manufacturer or viscosity etc

I'm on 17500 K now ( CR Vrs ) Expecting the service light to come on between now and 18K for first service. Seems like a hell of a longtime to me, but the garage assures me it's OK.

Couple of things have cropped up too. Broken rear washer and my headlamp washers seemed to have given up the ghost. Last winter they froze stuck out, did the same this year too. I reckon it's just a blown fuse. Anyone else had this? More worryingly, I am sure that sometimes my car seems to pitch from side to side over uneven road surfaces at speed. Checked the shocks and they seem fine. Might be just me being paranoid. I will get this checked out too.

On another topic, has anyone noticed this strange phenomenon. Taking a corner I can feel cold air shifting from the side around my legs. It's quite weird.

LL oil every 15k won't do any harm. It's standard practice down here in Australia as our gumby service folk don't know how to read a manual.

I'd just stick with 15k services if it were me.

Pollen filter @ 60k seems a bit extreme. I do mine every 30k & they come out filthy. OTOH, I leave the fuel filter for 60k & the air filter for 30k.

Your mechanic is full of bunkum. Engine oils play together just fine. I'd suggest you get another mechanic because that type of thinking stopped about 40 years ago.