SM Remap in progress CR140DSG

rockhopper

Fuel economy does seem to have improved. A few times driving around South London, I have noticed that the maxidot now gets to 40-42mpg, whereas before it seemed to stay around the 37-38 mpg mark.

Not done any longer journeys yet, so will report back later.

I think the town improved mpg is due to the improved torque lower down, where it will now pull 5th gear much more frequently at 30mph, and again, use higher gears at lower speeds than it did before.

The gearbox was quite jerky after the remap, but has smoothed out again now, so must be learning the new torque available to it.emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Mike

Thanks for the progress report on the remap/reconfiguration of the engine management parameters!

So, around 4 MPG improvement on top of the much improved torque and bhp performance - superb!

The high speed cruising should be more economical theorectically as the higher torque is doing more with less fuel.

...but I do wonder if you need to get a higher top gear ratio to really make use of the higher low end torque eg, cruise at 80 MPH using 1500 engine revolutions.

Keep the progress reports coming in.

I am definitely going to be doing this remap/reconfiguration whenever I get a diesel DSG Yeti.

Thanks for the progress report on the remap/reconfiguration of the engine management parameters!

So, around 4 MPG improvement on top of the much improved torque and bhp performance - superb!

The high speed cruising should be more economical theorectically as the higher torque is doing more with less fuel.

...but I do wonder if you need to get a higher top gear ratio to really make use of the higher low end torque eg, cruise at 80 MPH using 1500 engine revolutions.

Keep the progress reports coming in.

I am definitely going to be doing this remap/reconfiguration whenever I get a diesel DSG Yeti.

'Tis a pleasureemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

The problem with the high speed fuel economy is the shape of the Snow Monster, it's rather brick like. I am guessing, but 50-60mph will bring very good results, but anything over 70 seems to make it go downhill fast. The 140 shares the same ratios as the 170 I believe, which would make the standard 140 over-geared.

Mike

Mike

'Tis a pleasureemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

The problem with the high speed fuel economy is the shape of the Snow Monster, it's rather brick like. I am guessing, but 50-60mph will bring very good results, but anything over 70 seems to make it go downhill fast. The 140 shares the same ratios as the 170 I believe, which would make the standard 140 over-geared.

Mike

Mike

Hi Mike,

in the parts 'book' the 140 manual box is grouped with the 1.8TSI; only the actual change gears differ between them. However these change gears depending on date of manufacture are a mix between the 110 4x4 and the 170.

Bizarrely it's the 110 4x4 that's grouped with 170, although again with different change gears and rings; the latter in the 1st to 4th range.

The following shows the last 4 or 5 digits of the part numbers for these change gears as of 31.05.10, as up to that date the 140 had two changes to these gears.

170 = KXY = 1st 251N, 2nd 261H, 3rd 129J, 4th 145AA, 5th 159AC, 6th 349F

140 = LNM = 1st 251AA, 2nd 261T, 3rd 129Q, 4th 145AJ, 5th 159AC, 6th 349F

110 = LNN = 1st 251AA, 2nd 261T, 3rd 129AB, 4th 145AJ, 5th 159BC, 6th 349AB

4x4

Changes to 140

production to 25.10.09 (2nd gear changes appear to have started from 16th but the old gear is still listed to the 25th)

140 = LNM = 1st 251K, 2nd 261P, 3rd 129J, 4th 145AJ, 5th 159AC, 6th 349F

Plus additional changes to various rings.

26.10.09 to 30.05.10

140 = LNM =1st 251AA, 2nd 261T, 3rd 129J, 4th 145AJ, 5th 159AC, 6th 349F

Note: as mentioned in another post these gearboxes are due to be replaced in the new model year as follows;

KXY >> NFM

LNM >> NFR

LNN >> NFQ

Hope that's of help,

TP

Hi Mike,

in the parts 'book' the 140 manual box is grouped with the 1.8TSI; only the actual change gears differ between them. However these change gears depending on date of manufacture are a mix between the 110 4x4 and the 170.

Bizarrely it's the 110 4x4 that's grouped with 170, although again with different change gears and rings; the latter in the 1st to 4th range.

The following shows the last 4 or 5 digits of the part numbers for these change gears as of 31.05.10, as up to that date the 140 had two changes to these gears.

170 = KXY = 1st 251N, 2nd 261H, 3rd 129J, 4th 145AA, 5th 159AC, 6th 349F

140 = LNM = 1st 251AA, 2nd 261T, 3rd 129Q, 4th 145AJ, 5th 159AC, 6th 349F

110 = LNN = 1st 251AA, 2nd 261T, 3rd 129AB, 4th 145AJ, 5th 159BC, 6th 349AB

4x4

Changes to 140

production to 25.10.09 (2nd gear changes appear to have started from 16th but the old gear is still listed to the 25th)

140 = LNM = 1st 251K, 2nd 261P, 3rd 129J, 4th 145AJ, 5th 159AC, 6th 349F

26.10.09 to 30.05.10

140 = LNM =1st 251AA, 2nd 261T, 3rd 129J, 4th 145AJ, 5th 159AC, 6th 349F

Note: as mentioned in another post these gearboxes are due to be replaced in the new model year as follows;

KXY >> NFM

LNM >> NFR

LNN >> NFQ

Hope that's of help,

TP

Thanks Tim

Not really sure as I have the DSGemoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Mike

Thanks Tim

Not really sure as I have the DSG:giggle:

Mike

Apologies no breakdown of that one unfortunately; if you break it you will have to buy a complete new one and according to price figures in this book that will be 10K to you sir :giggle: oh you do get a transfer box with that as well :D

Found a little vid on the 7spd version if you have not already seen it

Regards,

TP

Bit of comparision for fuel consumption for my 170 - still very tight only 500 miles

55-60mph 52-53 mpg

70-75mph 42-44 mpg

The brick like aerodynamics?

Andy

Yes, that sounds about right. My old Octavia would do about 10mpg more at similar speeds. All due to aerodynamics, and oh yes, the Snow Monsters have the more economical CR engines now.

Mike

Bit of comparision for fuel consumption for my 170 - still very tight only 500 miles

55-60mph 52-53 mpg

70-75mph 42-44 mpg

Andy

I assume Maxidot rather than manually calculated? If not then certainly the 55-60mph figure looks especially good. Would I be right in assuming that's with Air Con off as opposed to either on or auto? (sorry looks like a slight thread hijack to CR170 fuel consumption!).

I assume Maxidot rather than manually calculated? If not then certainly the 55-60mph figure looks especially good. Would I be right in assuming that's with Air Con off as opposed to either on or auto? (sorry looks like a slight thread hijack to CR170 fuel consumption!).

Well mine is a CR185 emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

My figures are maxidot with air con on, leaky seat on etc...

I have not yet been able to check if I have done a brim to brim because I can't see when it is full, as every single time I have filled up it has been dark, so my fuel log (see below in signature) is not completely accurate. One day I will fill it up in daylight!

Mike

I tried to do a 0-60 time using the BMW M Power app on the iphone. it reckoned on 22 seconds which I know is way out. I'll have to do it the old fashioned way with a friend and a stop watch sometime...

I was sitting in my front room and the app said I was travelling at 27mphemoticon-0140-rofl.gif, so I deleted the BMW app.

Driving to Chislehurst and back home the long way using country lanes, which were flooded in places, the maxidot recorded 45mpg, including my full throttle blasts on a deserted straight piece of road, which is way up on what she was doing before the surgery.

Mike

I tried to do a 0-60 time using the BMW M Power app on the iphone. it reckoned on 22 seconds which I know is way out. I'll have to do it the old fashioned way with a friend and a stop watch sometime...

I was sitting in my front room and the app said I was travelling at 27mphemoticon-0140-rofl.gif, so I deleted the BMW app.

Driving to Chislehurst and back home the long way using country lanes, which were flooded in places, the maxidot recorded 45mpg, including my full throttle blasts on a deserted straight piece of road, which is way up on what she was doing before the surgery.

Mike

I had the same app and also deleted it since I could never ever make any sense out of it to get decent 0-60 figures (on my Audi).

As to 45mpg... jealous I am!

I had the same app and also deleted it since I could never ever make any sense out of it to get decent 0-60 figures (on my Audi).

As to 45mpg... jealous I am!

That was on 20, 30, 40 & 60mph roads and going up some some steep hills (eg. Succombs Hill, Botley Hill)

It was only the maxidot, which seems to be about 8.5% out. even so. I am happy.

Mike

55-60mph 52-53 mpg

70-75mph 42-44 mpg

Andy

Nice to see you still on the forum after handover! Seems like a lot of people go a little silent once they driven off in their new Yetis!

Stick around!

Thanks so much for all the detailed reporting on this brave, groundbreaking, and (for me) terrifying procedure - just back from hol and have enjoyed reading the whole thread, and everyones input, enormously. I wish I wasn't such a coward about these things - I have to say I share the reservations voiced by some folk already. But I am so pleased it has worked out so well and, now that the process has been so well pioneered, I just know it is going to niggle around in the back of my mind for ever..

My last two Defenders had plug-in devices that really contributed greatly to making ownership a near-practicable proposition!

Mike - I was interested in your comment about initial 'lumpy' gear changes now smoothing out, and that this could be due to some sort of learning process? Was this a serious comment - ie - does the gearbox have that sort of functionality/capability??

It will be great to continue to get feedback on how this works out, and I do hope and trust everything continues to be fine.

Mike - I was interested in your comment about initial 'lumpy' gear changes now smoothing out, and that this could be due to some sort of learning process? Was this a serious comment - ie - does the gearbox have that sort of functionality/capability??

OH yes it does adapt to your style. It takes time to change apparently. About a week I read somewhere else on this forum. One person mentioned how lazy his wife's Roomster was when he drove it, but that if he drove it for some time the gearbox would adapt and fit his style of driving far better. Someone also mentioned that he would love for this gearbox memory to be saved to each key (like the seat memory and HVAC memory is done) so that you don't have to wait for it to change its behaviour when you change drivers.

OH yes it does adapt to your style. It takes time to change apparently. About a week I read somewhere else on this forum. One person mentioned how lazy his wife's Roomster was when he drove it, but that if he drove it for some time the gearbox would adapt and fit his style of driving far better. Someone also mentioned that he would love for this gearbox memory to be saved to each key (like the seat memory and HVAC memory is done) so that you don't have to wait for it to change its behaviour when you change drivers.

Well, thanks, and I continue to be amazed at the technology built into these toys. I was aware that the box adapted to driving style, it was very noticeable with my DSG Golf, but not that this was a longer term learning/adaptive process. I am sounding more and more like my late dad, but having turned 60 this month, oh horror, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised..emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Thanks so much for all the detailed reporting on this brave, groundbreaking, and (for me) terrifying procedure - just back from hol and have enjoyed reading the whole thread, and everyones input, enormously. I wish I wasn't such a coward about these things - I have to say I share the reservations voiced by some folk already. But I am so pleased it has worked out so well and, now that the process has been so well pioneered, I just know it is going to niggle around in the back of my mind for ever..

My last two Defenders had plug-in devices that really contributed greatly to making ownership a near-practicable proposition!

It will be great to continue to get feedback on how this works out, and I do hope and trust everything continues to be fine.

Yes it was a serious comment. After the remap the gearbox changes were quite jerky, but now it is almost back to where it was before the remap. Wouldn't you if you had an extra 37% more torque emoticon-0140-rofl.gif.

Johnann is quite right. The gearbox does adapt to different drivers and styles. This DSG 'box is so much cleverer than my previous DSG on my '06 Octavia.

MIke

• 2 weeks later...

I was out and about today, and found an empty road......national speed limit.

So, my first 0-60ish attempt was around 10 seconds. I could feel the Haldex cutting in as all 4 wheels fought for grip on the muddy roademoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I thought, not bad for a muddy road.

So I carried on and found a road without any mud on it.

The second attempt was around 8.5 seconds.

But I can't do everything at the same time, as I'm a man, and only have 1 pair of eyes, and 2 hands...

I recon I was on the slow side in pressing start stop on the iPhone.

So I recon it is faster than the CR170, which backs up Ben's 180/185bhp.

I am happy.

Mike

I was out and about today, and found an empty road......national speed limit.

So, my first 0-60ish attempt was around 10 seconds. I could feel the Haldex cutting in as all 4 wheels fought for grip on the muddy roademoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I thought, not bad for a muddy road.

So I carried on and found a road without any mud on it.

The second attempt was around 8.5 seconds.

But I can't do everything at the same time, as I'm a man, and only have 1 pair of eyes, and 2 hands...

I recon I was on the slow side in pressing start stop on the iPhone.

So I recon it is faster than the CR170, which backs up Ben's 180/185bhp.

I am happy.

Mike

Well done; good effort (now't wrong with being a bloke! :giggle: )

That seems to be spot on the money! :thumbup::thumbup:;);)

PS> Note to self; must get hold of Ben and book Kevin in for his wings.

Edited by bahnstormer vrs