VRS Snow Performance

Hey Guys,

Just driven my 08 plate TFSI Octavia VRS in the snow and ice for the first time. Just wondering how people have found the performance of there VRS petrol or diesel in the snow and cold weather we have been having recently?

Eg how are people finding the grip, traction control, brakes and handling on normal tyres?

I'm asking, as this is only 3rd car I've owned (I'm only 24) so have little to compare it with!

Cheers Dan.

resrearch winter tyres. the type of car is largely irrelevant for driving in snow etc. summer tyres are not designed to work in temps below 7degreesC. Winter tyres will go well below that and have special tread patterns that allow it to grip snow and slush. Simple as.

I had winter tyres on mine, and i was overtaking 4x4s that were stuck spinning their wheels up a bloody big hill near me. thats how much difference they make

Both my previous vRS diesel and the current one are OK in the snow - never been stuck out on the road with them, but did get the old one stuck last winter for a while trying to get it out of my garage after being lazy about clearing the snow of the drive. I did nearly get stuck on the really bad day in December (the day the M8 closed), having left school early I was in stop/start traffic, on the slope outside West End Skoda in Broxburn main street I NEARLY couldn't get moving ...... their Yeti demo model was sitting there looking at me with a smug look on its face :D

Have invested in a pair of snow socks - just in case!

Slow and sure is the key, being as gentle as possible.

I was concerned about the VRS in the snow as it has wider, lower profile tyres than my previous Seat Toledo Sport TDI 150 but it's been fine on its normal tyres and hasn't got stuck once. When the snow first came down I took it down untouched country roads to take the dog for a walk and see how it managed to decide on whether to go for winter tyres or not and as it seemed no worse than the Seat (which managed a 400 mile round trip in the worst of the snow last year without getting stuck) I've just left the car as is.

John

My petrol Vrs has been ok on summer tyres with not much (3-4mm?) tread left. Invested in a set of steelies and winters for it at the tail end of last year but due to one thing and another they've not arrived yet (well they did but they were the wrong tyres on smaller wheels).

It's been surprisingly good on ice. Past 2 mornings my wee estate's just been a smooth sheet of ice all over, and it still manages to go. Stopping just means rolling to a halt though :-) can't afford more than 1st gear at tickover with (no!) brakes like that!

Even on summer tyres it is tyre dependent. I had Continental Sport Contact on last year and they were absolutely chronic - even slight inclines defeated me. Changed to Ultrac Sessantas last year and they are much better, obviously put in context as a summer tyre. Winter ones would clearly be miles better but the cost is too much for me - public transport ahoy.

Thanks for the feed back.

Its been better on the steep hill outside our house than my last Fabia VRS, the torque and fact it was a smaller car seemed to mean it didn't want to get up the hill at all. Some cars are better than others, even front wheel drive.

So far Ive found it its stopping, not getting going that seems to be the problem. Back end went this morning turning onto an untouched country lane with compacted snow at very slow speed, soon sorted with opposite lock. Brakes seem to bite even when tapping the peddle slightly (they are good though). Better off presuming they are not going to work and drive accordingly. Traction control seems to work well though. Cuts in very quickly. Seen to forget that the petrol VRS still has quite a bit of torque.

Cheers.

Edited by Dan 534

24 years old and driving an 08 plate VRS? Lucky, lucky lad!

Hate to think what your insurance is on that!

Look after it well on these bad roads.

Mike

Cheers Mike, I will look after it., great car, had to have it after I went for the test drive on a Police training route with my friend who's copper :). Surprising how many of my mates the same age comment how nice it it too. Its about £700 a year! Still a lot cheaper than a colleagues 06 GTI, its well over a grand!

Regards, Dan.

I couldn't get winter tyres and found my Yokohama S306 were rubbish. Changed to Continental Sport3 (I thought that if I can't get decent winter tyres, I'd get the best "summer" ones I could...) and they were still not brilliant, but they were better.

Just leave plenty of room for stopping and turning, and for other people's errors...

(Next year I'll invest in winter ones before there's a mad rush on)

Edited by thinkblueskies

24 years old and driving an 08 plate VRS? Lucky, lucky lad!

Hate to think what your insurance is on that!

Look after it well on these bad roads.

Mike

I bought my vRS brand new at 19 (56 plate I'm 23 now)

Insurance for the first year was four figures, not beginning with a 1.