I've Read The Threads - Now Totally Confused About Engine Oil

Hi,

I have a 2005 Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDI PD Estate on variable servicing. I've been reading the recent threads on Oil and I'm totally confused if I should be using Castrol Edge 0W-30 or 5W-30 (or if there is really a difference). So here is why I get confused:

- When I bought my car it came with a 1 litre refill bottle of Edge 0W-30.

- Having looked at the owners manaul and service schedule, I believe the spec I should be using is 506 01 as I have a PD engine on variable serving

- When I go on the Castrol website and search by registration number, it recommends 5W-30. However it also states as a note this is for models fitted with a DPF and I know mine doesn't have a DPF!

The bottle for 0W-30 says VW 502 00 / VW 503 01 / VW 505 00

The bottle for 5W-30 says VW 504 00 / VW 507 00

So did the previous owner get 0W-30 in error as it doesn't mention 506 01 on the bottle? Does the DPF make any difference? When the bottle for 5W-30 says 504 00 / 507 00 does it means it covers the inbetween ranges such as 506 01?

Any help on this would be appreciated as I'm going round in circles!

Dougall

I have used both 0w-30 and 5w-30 in my Bora - doesn't make any difference as long as you meet the spec....which on new oil will be 507 00

I think that 507 00 replaced 506 01 but i can't remember now....

Thanks for the replies guys.

I looked at the FAQ section on the Castrol site and it actually has a question on this............typical that I find it after posting the question but I'm guessing if Castrol has it as a FAQ then a lot of people most query it.

Basically it says the SLX Longlife 2 oil was 0W-30 and was VW 506 01. Its replacement is Edge 5W-30 and is VW 504 00 / 507 00 which is now the latest spec.

Link is here in case anyone else wants it:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9014090&contentId=7027092

Dougall

Thanks for the replies guys.

I looked at the FAQ section on the Castrol site and it actually has a question on this............typical that I find it after posting the question but I'm guessing if Castrol has it as a FAQ then a lot of people most query it.

Basically it says the SLX Longlife 2 oil was 0W-30 and was VW 506 01. Its replacement is Edge 5W-30 and is VW 504 00 / 507 00 which is now the latest spec.

Link is here in case anyone else wants it:

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9014090&contentId=7027092

Dougall

Pretty much what i said....If your car asks for 506 01 then anything above that number is fine.