How do I disable the passenger Airbag?

As the title says, how do I disable the passenger airbag on my '98 Octy. I have heard you can do it via vag-com but I don't know how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi , yes its done by VAG-Com but you need to buy a resister from skoda to do it , Think skoda was going to charge me £70 to do it and another £70 to take it off .

you can switch it off in vagcom it's under adaption if i remember correctly.

or remove the glove box and unplug it (battery disconnected first for at least 10 mins)

either way the airbag light WILL be on all the time the engine is running

you can switch it off in vagcom it's under adaption if i remember correctly.

or remove the glove box and unplug it (battery disconnected first for at least 10 mins)

either way the airbag light WILL be on all the time the engine is running

Hi M8 you can buy a resistor from skoda. I believe you unplug the air bag, plug resistor in. leave unplugged.. airbag light will stay off! think you do have to plug vagcom in also to do something! Skoda parts will tell you. skoda can do it cost about £70 for them to do!!

You can turn it off via VCDS but no matter what, you must phisically disconnect the airbag as there has been children killed when airbags still went off.

Coding with VCDS will turn the airbag light on for the first 10 seconds of driving every time, possibly flashing then it will go off as its not a fault.

If the airbag is disabled then I would suggest a sticker in the car indicating this, so that passengers (and if you sell the car in the future) will know....

My airbag light flashes and pings when the ignition is turned on. Ive only had the car a month, so could this mean my passenger airbag is disabled? How would I know? I would prefer it to be active, so how can I re-activate this if it is disabled??

Check your glove box first an on off switch was an optional extra

i might be missing the point here but on mine, i have got a key hole in the door frame of the passengers door. flick that with your main key and bingo passenger airbag disabled :thumbup:

That sounds like a retro fit item. The official dealer solution is a key in the glovebox, as mentioned above.

Mine must have been made before they decided to put a key slot in the glove box. My dads Octy has it but mine doesn't. The reason I need it done is due to me having 3 kids now and I can't fit the three child seats in the back. I may just let Skoda do it for my own peace of mind, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if it still went off with my kid in the front.

The reason I need it done is due to me having 3 kids now and I can't fit the three child seats in the back. I may just let Skoda do it for my own peace of mind, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if it still went off with my kid in the front.

:+1: Better safe than sorry.