Octavia vRS FL - True Speed

I've heard that in the pre-FL Octavia vRS there was a way to get the true speed displayed in MPH.

I have just taken delivery of a 2010 vRS diesel with Maxidot and would like to do the same - is it possible?

Rich

Always worth doing a search, this thread is a sticky in this section. Not sure whether this works on the FL though.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/51397-new-octavia-tips-and-tricks/

Copied from the above thread:

Duel zone Climatronic settings

Like the previous version there are a ton of settings and information hidden in the climatronic computer.

To get this, press the ECON and the top right air direction button (next to recirc) simultaneously. To get back to temperature control press AUTO and ECON simultaneously

The passenger side temp control dial sets the section (1-30)

The fan speed dial sets the subsection and is shown in the passenger side LCD screen to the right of the main number.

The one that everyone wants is true speed, whis can be found in section 19.

Subsection 0 shows Kmh, subsection 1 shows Mph.

Subsection 3 shows the revs to the nearest 100 (tickover is about 870rpm and shows up as 08 on the display)

Forgive my ignorance, but what is true speed?

The speedometers on nearly all cars read "fast" because they are allowed to read 10% fast but not read slower than the true speed so in order to err on the side of caution taking into account manufacturing tolerances and different tyre sizes etc the manufaturers make them to read fast.

It may be cynical to suggest that it also allows the makers to make the cars appear faster than they actually are to the consumer. I imagine an Octavia VRS could easily show 160mph on its speedo! (In fact I was musing the other day that my VRS is the first car I've had in years that could go "off" the speedo)

I suspect (but don't know) that the true speed referred to here is the calculated speed from engine revs, gearing and wheel circumference etc which will be nearer to the truth, but probably not that accurate, as I would bet the software behind it isn't changed or configured for exact tyre size or able to take tyre wear into account.

Always worth doing a search, this thread is a sticky in this section. Not sure whether this works on the FL though.

Nope - I already viewed that topic and it's a different system in the FL Octavia.

Anyone any ideas if it can be done?

Nope - I already viewed that topic and it's a different system in the FL Octavia.

Anyone any ideas if it can be done?

I had a pre FL Elegance and the climate control speed tallied exactly with the sat nav speed and showed the speedo to be reading very high. - 70mph on the sat nav or cc was around 76mph on the speedo

No climate control equivalent on the FL model but according to the sat nav the speedo is much more accurate - 70 on the sat nav reads just 72 on the speedo.