Shocking Values Offered

Hi

Ive recently moved locations with work and now im doing a lot more travelling meaning im possibly going to have to go back to a diesel. Ive been having various offers on my tsi elegance with 4500 on the clock. They range from 6500 - 8000. Now i appreciate that the VAT offer is going to keep second hand values down but i thought there taking the p*** a bit. Whats anyone's opinions ?

Ben

Not worth changing if that's all they are offering, you'll get the same price after 3 years. Nothing less than £8K would do for trade-in on a car that young, I'd really be expecting closer to £9K. They would sell it for £10K+ no problem.

Yeh thats what im thinking. Skoda themselves are only offering 8.5k. Hopefully the VAT offer will end soon

Edited by benwiddowson

If that is the price you have been offered you would be nuts to change just for the fuel economy. Your car has over two years warranty left and as others have said it is not going to drop that much more in value.

Do the sums on the fuel cost vs depreciation and it will be clear to you. If you drive the Tsi sensibly you will get 40 plus mpg no bother. Also diesel is going to continue getting more expensive than petrol, Europe does not have as much diesel as petrol.

Assuming you have lost about 3k then it is the equivalent of 20000 miles worth of petrol. Any new diesel you get will also drop a similar amount. Fuel costs are really only the tip of the motoring cost iceberg!

Edited by Black

Thinking more of another aygo now as we get 80 odd mpg out of that Toyota offering 9k for the fabia. Considering the problems its had I may just jump while its working

Toyota are offering 5 yr 100,000 mile warrenty at the moment. Why not sell your car private and buy your Toyota from somewhere like Drivethe deal.

http://www.drivethedeal.com/default.asp?vans=false

As already mentioned, depreciation is the greater part of the cost of car ownership with newer cars so fuel consumption is going to make a small difference compared to changing your car so soon.

I have heard that consumption can improve considerably when the engine beds in - yours is still too new to give its best.

I owned a Peugeot 107 and the economy very much depends how hard you drive it (like any car). The Fabia is much quicker, so if you drive it at Aygo performance levels (slower) you may get more mpg.

What problems have you had with the Fabia? As I understand it, Skodas are reliable and dealers good. I wouldn't let one fault put you off. Just look at how many Toyota drivers have had to visit dealers in the last year.

Good luck!

shocking values will be bad i the first 12 months, maybe wait a bit longer. however the vat deal will worsen prices.

i would say 24 months is a good time to get rid of the car.

good luck and keep us posted