Average Speed Zones

skodayouth

Hi All,

Im wanting opinions on a problem I have in the average speed zone (50MPH) through the roadworks on the M25

Because everyone is doing 50 in a neat line, i find it difficult to pull into the far left lane for exiting. Does anyone else find this constant uniform speed the cause of this?

I didnt notice the problem when I had the Fabia, I think either one the BMW is causing people not to let me in where they may have dropped back when I had the Skoda or because of the extra length of the BMW (15.7FT) causing me to be more hesitant

In the mean time im tryng to get over at least 2 miles before the exit, but I have had occasions where I have not been able to exit even when planning ahead that far

Hi All,

Im wanting opinions on a problem I have in the average speed zone (50MPH) through the roadworks on the M25

Because everyone is doing 50 in a neat line, i find it difficult to pull into the far left lane for exiting. Does anyone else find this constant uniform speed the cause of this?

I didnt notice the problem when I had the Fabia, I think either one the BMW is causing people not to let me in where they may have dropped back when I had the Skoda or because of the extra length of the BMW (15.7FT) causing me to be more hesitant

In the mean time im tryng to get over at least 2 miles before the exit, but I have had occasions where I have not been able to exit even when planning ahead that far

================================

Well it is normal for these average speed cameras to be set no lower than 50 plus 10 percent plus 2 mph ie 57 mph, and use the Tom Tom as the car speedos usually over-reads by about 5 % to keep you safe from being nicked. I have heard recently that the 10% tolerance is not actually always given but the 10% plus 2 mph or even 10% plus 4 mph is often the setting for these things but I just keep within the 10% to be safe and I do around 50K miles a year.

Oh and yes it is the BMW as well. High percentage of W*****s drive BMWs although S3, S4, and RS drivers have probably caught and past them in those stakes. Clarkson said "Nazi Staff cars" I recall which is a little harsh but are Mercedes that much better? Skoda is the best, German quality, eastern prices. Get a Octavia police car look a like, so many people think it is a cop car it is like Mosses and the Red Sea.

================================

Well it is normal for these average speed cameras to be set no lower than 50 plus 10 percent plus 2 mph ie 57 mph, and use the Tom Tom as the car speedos usually over-reads by about 5 % to keep you safe from being nicked. I have heard recently that the 10% tolerance is not actually always given but the 10% plus 2 mph or even 10% plus 4 mph is often the setting for these things but I just keep within the 10% to be safe and I do around 50K miles a year.

Oh and yes it is the BMW as well. High percentage of W*****s drive BMWs although S3, S4, and RS drivers have probably caught and past them in those stakes. Clarkson said "Nazi Staff cars" I recall which is a little harsh but are Mercedes that much better? Skoda is the best, German quality, eastern prices. Get a Octavia police car look a like, so many people think it is a cop car it is like Mosses and the Red Sea.

Average speed cameras rarely follow ACPO guideline, and remember they are simply that! Most are set to 55mph in the roadworks.

Also my mondeo's speedo isnt out by much - 2mph tops. Remember your GPS system also has an error margin of +-5% without factoring in signal bounce, signal degradation due to your car's bodywork and windscreen. Even windscreen position can affect readings!

I certainly wouldnt put my license in the hands of an uncalibrated GPS system!

I have seen some BMW's fitted with a special device on the steering column that might help in these situations. :giggle:

bmw and merc drivers cut that many people up that drivers don't give them any slack any more, other day on the m1 saw a bmw and a porche trying to get into the inside lane. The porche got let in straight away and the bmw missed his exit, just to clarify i was in the middle lane behind them lol