Fabia SDI

IrvFab

I'm looking to buy a Fabia SDI. I have always been a Ford man and was contemplating buying a late model mk2 Mondeo. But, after some thought I decided to go down a more reliable and cost effective route. I am led to believe that although not exactly a flying machine, the SDI is economical and very reliable. I have some questions and if any of you guys could answer them I would be very grateful. Firstly, I am a taxi driver and have driven sdi Octavia's, the gearbox was very soft in it and failed quite regularly, is this an issue with the Fabia?

Are there any means of increasing performance and fuel economy? Im aware theat a TDI would be a better engine for tuning etc but I was wondering if there was anything that can be done to the SDI. Lastly, what are the owners opinions of the car?

Sorry for being long winded and thanks in advance.

Not too sure about the gear box failure, or how easy it is to tune the engine, but I have had a 2003 SDI estate for around a year now and am more than happy with it.

True it isn't a flying machine, but it is quite nippy considering its an estate. On fairly regular trips from London to Cheshire I average around 63mpg, but if you use it for short shopping trips that does drastically drop down to about 40mpg-ish.

Avie

My mum had an SDI, which she was very happy with (less happy with the dealers, but that's another story!)

There are certain 'typical' faults like suspension bushes, leaky doors and faulty sensors which may well need looking at if not fixed by the previous owner(s), but nothing other than perhaps the cambelt that ought to be a deal-breaker.

In theory, a tuning box or even a custom remap could see an increase of anything up to 20% (so a heady 77bhp) by upping the fuelling, but I don't know anyone on here who's done it to confirm this. Given the increased insurance costs, you might be better looking for one with the 1.4TDI engine and keeping it standard, TBH...

Hi Mate,

Me and the Mrs have a vRS Fabia and an SDI Fabia.

Obviously they are very different to drive, but have their own "character" making them likeable for different reasons.

The SDI is our workhorse. It's done over 100,000 miles on a 54 reg and drives no differently to how it did

when we purchased it with 68,000 on the clock 2 and a half years ago. It's not fast but steady and is more than happy to chug

along at legal motorway speeds all day long. On a steady run the mpg is truly excellent (around 70mpg) and in terms of

ride comfort I actually prefer it to my vRS. (maybe my butt is too old and wrinkly for stiffer suspension these days ;)

In the time we've had it we have had to replace the clutch, (No expensive DMF setup on the SDI :thumbup: ) supplied and fitted

for under £300. This was down to it being very worn after 99,000 miles as it was the clutch it came out of the factory with.

Same work carried out to my vRS was £600 with heavily discounted parts and labour.

Also we had the console bushes replaced which any regular reader of this forum will tell you is a common fault

with the Fabia generally. This was done when the clutch was fitted and was about an extra hours labour on top of the

£300 clutch job.

Most recently the leaky doors issue has risen it's ugly head with this car. It's been bone dry up until now but am now getting

the excessive fogging problem which can only mean one thing :doh:

Apart from that it's sailed through all it's MOTs with only the worn console bushes showing as an advisory last time around.

Sure... It's noisy and won't win many races, but we love ours and will keep it until it dies. That may be for some time :D

I've had an SDI and currently have a VRs so can tell you a bit what they are like.

I've heard of the SDI gearbox issue mentioned but didn't have a single problem with my car although it only had 65k on it when I swapped. I believe the gearbox is exactly the same as the Octavia SDI and taxi drivers have reported issues at high mileages.

I think you have to be going way over 100k or wragging the gearbox to cause problems.

TDI's are better performance wise, but there is much more to go wrong. I'm not saying that they are less reliable, just more complex. Geaboxes on TDI/VRs cars are stronger becasue they produce a lot more torque.

I loved my SDI. It was a nice drive, but not quick. Surprisingly it performed best on the motorway once up to speed.

Fuel economy was amazing. Official figures put the VRs not much behind, but in reality the SDI is much more economical.

If you can find a nice one (lots of older folk have them so they don't get thrashed), go ahead and get one.

Simple and solid and surprisingly capable I would say.

I've owned my SDi for nearly 4 years and do most of the servicing myself. I find it plenty quick enough about to about 50 Mph as long as you drive it like an SDi (changing gear early to ride the torque) and is fun to drive - a lot of people say they are too slow but obviously there're not driving them properly as I can overtake and go for spirited drives without an issue.

Economy wise mines always been well serviced and on my 40 mile round trip I can average in the high 60s of MPG if I don't push it. The only problems I have had are common to most Fabia's ie. console bushes, drop links etc.

I use Millers oils and fuel up using normal branded diesel - I have just started a trial run of Millers EcoMax but don't expect much of a difference. The best way to increase the performance of the SDi, I found, was the replacment of the console bushes with solid Cupra bushes which made an incredible difference to the handling.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Had mine 3 months, and i love it. \had a few minor issues, but nothing major. Had to have a bush of some kind replaced and I think i have an issue with a rear spring, but its a 10 yr old car to be fair.

Despite these things, I am really enjoying it, and I have found the answer to most options on here!

I've had an 03 classic SDI estate for nearly 6 years. Bought at 58000 now done 127500. On original clutch, averaged 58+ mpg since I got her. The only mods I've done is to change the wheels for 6Js with 185/60s on as per the comfort, VRS springs on the front and H/D springs on the back with VRS seats. Goes round corners like it's on rails. No issues with the gearbox, normal door leaks. Drives better than my wife's TDI. Keep thinking about changing it, but then, why? If you do a lot of town driving it is a much better drive than the TDI.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to have my gearbox reconditioned when some bolts loosened and the oil drained out - expensive. That was at 247k miles. My total costs from new have been 16.7p/mile (not counting parking charges and potential interest on capital), which is pretty good judging by the AA - average for a lower end diesel doing 30k/year during the time I've had my car being over 22p/mile.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done is to change the wheels for 6Js with 185/60s on as per the comfort, VRS springs on the front and H/D springs on the back with VRS seats.

Sorry, what are H/D springs? How come you didn't fit vRS ones - don't they fit?

Do you know the difference in ride height with vRS springs compared with the standard estate?

Cheers

Al

I loved my SDI and really miss it, great fun to drive.

Really nippy if you drive it right, and fun with wider wheels.

I wish I'd bought a Fabia SDI combi instead of my current Octy TDI 90 estate.

Sorry, what are H/D springs? How come you didn't fit vRS ones - don't they fit?

Do you know the difference in ride height with vRS springs compared with the standard estate?

Cheers

Al

H/D are heavy duty which normally give a slightly higher ride height as they are considerably stiffer. I don't know the ride height difference between the VRS and standard but when they were fitted it actually raised the front which is why I fitted the H/D ones on the back. I'm sure I could have fitted VRS springs on the back but I wasn't paying Skoda prices for them as I'd got the fronts dirt cheap.

• 10 months later...

Taken my sdi for a service today, they say it needs the front shocks and console brushes replacing fairly quickly. Does £407 sound about right? Or is there a better, cheaper option available?

Cheers in advance,

Avie.

• 1 month later...

just bumping this thread as I am planning to get my step dad to do the job for me but he wants me to get all the bits I need for it. Just wanted to check with you guys that I am getting the right things.

So the brushes that I have found are on the 'bay of e' - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400271158761?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

and the front shocks that I have found are - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sachs-Front-Shock-Absorber-300032-VW-Polo-Skoda-Fabia-Seat-Ibiza-/230710598616?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6511877990180479420#vi-ilComp

they both say that they fit but I have had this before. Also with the shocks, is it true that I need to replace the springs too, or is this just an advisory?

cheers guys

avie

If you've got a Eurocarparts near you I'd go and get them both from there. At least you have a human being to talk to. I see no reason to change the springs unless the ride height is too low or a spring is broken.

if it helps on my SDI I manages to go though over the years 3 sets of standard bushes so in the end I went with

for the rear of the wishbone cupra solid bushes. http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=13776&xSec=289

and powerflex in the front of the whishbone http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=49843.

The benifit has been that the handling of the car has been improve and my mechanic says that after 50k they are still solid.

I would reccomend that for anybody replacing bushes that long term this is the best option

just bumping this thread as I am planning to get my step dad to do the job for me but he wants me to get all the bits I need for it. Just wanted to check with you guys that I am getting the right things.

So the brushes that I have found are on the 'bay of e' - http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2648

and the front shocks that I have found are - http://www.ebay.co.u...79420#vi-ilComp

they both say that they fit but I have had this before. Also with the shocks, is it true that I need to replace the springs too, or is this just an advisory?

cheers guys

avie

The bushes look right, so do the shocks.

I've matched them on the ECP website. http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Fabia_1.9_2002/p/car-parts/suspension-and-steering/suspension/shock-absorber/?635440170&1&307f1e9246e23ca8c01e632c063a3834b966c651&000925

Go for a close-up of the piccie and the part number looks the same...

Can't seem to do better than nab them off eBay though.

J.

Other than the mentioned console bush issue, look out for replacing the front anti roll bar, which can be indicated by a knocking on the front. This applies to MK1 pre face lift models, with the face lift coming in at around September 2004 (54 plate). If both the console bushes and arb need looking at, do them at the same time as they both involve the sub frame being dropped.

Obviously look for cambelt and service intervals.

Minor issues are the mentioned doors leaking in the rain (silicon gun). External rear boot release not working (new micro switch or solenoid). Rear washer not working (pipe popped off in the engine bay or on route to the back window). Fuel filler flap not holding shut (cable popped off in rear wing, glue it on).