Oil around driveshaft heatshield

Shroud

When replacing my air pump and checking my work today, i found quite a bit of oil/grease around the inside of the heatshield and the inner joint gaitor also had quite a bit of the same stuff on it at the draftshaft end on the drivers side of the gearbox. There was also quite a bit of oil on the pipe that runs down on the other side of the plastic housing next to the auxiliary drivebelt, which may be related but might not.

I don't know how long this has been this way and am not getting any oil dripping onto the drive, but it has made me curious.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your views. Is this something that needs sorting urgently, or just as and when? Big job?

If inner CV boot is split and allowing grease to escape, there's a high chance dirt and grit can enter

through the same hole and destroy the joint.

You must ensure this is not the case, but as said drive-shaft inner seal allowing oil seepage, which does need doing

as it's lowering your oil level (depending how much seepage of course) but not quite as important (must-do quickly approach).

Either way removal of drive-shaft to carry-out either task is on the cards.

Depends how mechanically active you are really.

Removal of drive-shaft end nut can be naughty as thin-walled 36mm socket (Fabia VRS) is needed.

Can be completed by a competent DIY easily.

Edited by giandougl

Thanks Techie & Giandougl,

You must have replied the first time while i was responding to the reply from madmike.

It just seems quite a lot of grease, but i suppose over a number of years it would build up quite a bit. At what point would it need regreasing?

cv boot appears fine however. No noticeable drop in oil levels. Never have to top up.

Edited by Shroud

the seals about £14 from skoda and can be done without taking the shaft out completly.

you'll need some multi spline bits, the drivers side seal comes with a metal sleeve that you have to tap home without splitting the seal which can be tricky.

its not a cheap job, I got a quote for it last year but can't remember exactly how much it was. I was thinking of topping up by gearbox fluid and getting the seals changed when I started getting a few drops on the driveway. Anyone know how how easy it is to top up?

its not a cheap job, I got a quote for it last year but can't remember exactly how much it was. I was thinking of topping up by gearbox fluid and getting the seals changed when I started getting a few drops on the driveway. Anyone know how how easy it is to top up?

Topping up the gearbox oil is relatively easy

Take the plug out of the front of the gearbox and fill using a squeezy bottle until it reaches the level of the filler hole.

The difficult bit is getting to it with the car still being level - i.e jacking up and securing both ends of the car. You also need a very large hex key to take the plug out (not sure on the size, but i'm sure someone will know).

coolio :thumbup: Will probably top it up and get them changed in the summer

Subtle difference is IF it's grease escaping it's the CV joint, / IF it's oil escaping it's the inner drive-shaft seal failing.emoticon-0148-yes.gif