PastyBoy DIY Alloy Refurb and Recolour Project Thread

PastyBoy

Ideally you need a much finer grade wet and dry (around 1200) to get the marks out, also ideally you should of painted the insides first, then the sides of the spokes and the bolt holes, then the rim and finally the front face of the spokes, this way any over spray will be contained to the less noticeable part of the wheels.

When you put the final coat on (either paint or lacquer) you need to get a 'full wet coat' on otherwise you will end up with patches that look dry and will require flatting and polishing to make them look even. This is the hardest part, as too much and the paint/lacquer will start to run, too little and it goes on 'dry', both will require the same thing - re flatting down with a really fine wet and dry paper and polishing.

yeah i have kind of realised that the 60 grit i stripped the wheels with was probably a bit agressive.

More time with something less course would have been much more sensible and given a less scrathy finish.

Final sanding will be with 600 grit as i think the scrathes are actually too deep to get out now without being stripped right back again and starting afresh :'(

This coat of black was a full "wet coat" in the end - When i left the garage for the night they looked slick and shiny - and i only have a couple of runs so hopefully the lacquer will be the same but with no runs.

While I appreciate they are not perfect for a first attempt i am really happy so far and they shoud look 10x better than the mullered alloys on the car at present (as shown at the very begnning of the thread)

Edited by PastyBoy

Top Shelf! :D

Ta Rob

Old school TV unit from before eveyone decided black glass was cool!

Was all i could find to put the alloys on in the garage while they dried :giggle:

Unless of course you are talking about my collapsing carboard box with an old duvet cover on it - in which case you are just plain odd :p

Edited by PastyBoy

Another 2 tins of black spray arrived Friday so over the weekend the insides of the rims went black

The 600 grit wet and dry was out and flatting back the first coat of black, and then a second coat of black.

I took these pics this morning and the finish is so much better than after the first coat of black when it looked really really scratched.

As i now have black spray to spare I think i'll probably flat back and add a third and final coat of black.

Hopefully leaving enough in the can to touch up any future indiscretions.

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

Am sooo happy with them already and they still aren't finished

running total cost still £148.40

Approx time spent - 9 hours

Edited by PastyBoy

As i now have black spray to spare I think i'll probably flat back and add a third and final coat of black.

running total cost still £148.40

They're looking great mate.. and the idea of another gentle rub down with a 3rd and final coat is a v. good one!

As for the cost? You've pretty much hit the figure I had in mind when I was thinking about doing this (before I then sold the rims to another member)..

The reason I didn't do it was because, at the time, I could get them refurbed for the magic £140. I just never got around to it and then sold.

I can imagine It's worth the effort though, for the satisfaction! :D:thumbup:

They're looking great mate.. and the idea of another gentle rub down with a 3rd and final coat is a v. good one!

As for the cost? You've pretty much hit the figure I had in mind when I was thinking about doing this (before I then sold the rims to another member)..

The reason I didn't do it was because, at the time, I could get them refurbed for the magic £140. I just never got around to it and then sold.

I can imagine It's worth the effort though, for the satisfaction! :D:thumbup:

As i have the 600 grit and spray paint left it'd be stupid to not do a 3rd coat. Especially given the increase in quality of finish between first and second.

Given i'm not in a position to get anything for free I think £50 for a complete refurb and recolour isn't exactly bad!

most worrying thing......

....i'm now not sure i want black wheels on the car!?! :S :D

Edited by PastyBoy

Nearing the end now! :yes:

The black has had 3 if not 4 9and in some places 5) coats and i have once again run out completely - meaning no touching up of future incidents (unless i could use a permanent marker :D)

I also now realise my spraying skill are still almost non existent and that clear coat shows this up massively as it's fecking awful to work with.

I first tried light coats using quick passes of the can and the finish was really speckly next up slower thicker coats whcih turned out too think and i had, and still have, quite a lot of runs.

Could i sand these out? I'm really concerned about sanding clear coat as surely it'll just sand to a cloudy finish and stay cloudy?

However to be honest I'm really happy with them as they stand. They are by far not perfect but they are ten times better than the gauged scratched damaged wheels on the car currently

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

I'm loving the gloss finish on them and now think black was definitely the way to go! Will probably bring them into the house and sit them by a radiator for the rest of the week to make sure the clear coat is a hard as possible before letting a tyre monkey loose on them at the weekend :thumbup:

Looks good dude.

Wack some wheel wax on them before you get tires on etc give them a bit of protection.

I rubbed down my final rim last night ready for spraying at the weekend.

£148 not bad

Mine have cost me 40p for some p200 paper and 3 quid for some thinners lol

Wack some wheel wax on them before you get tires on etc give them a bit of protection.

yeah am hoping to get some put once they are properly hardened

£148 not bad

given that that figure includes the wheels themselves i think it's an absolute bargain!

Mine have cost me 40p for some p200 paper and 3 quid for some thinners lol

oh ok maybe not that much of a bargain!

To be honest the whole experience has been really satisfying.

Yes i could have got a better job paying a professional but I did them mnyself!

ME!

A desk jockey with little to no practical skills or experience!

I really has inspired me to do more rather than scared me away.

I think the mullered set will be the spring's project as they include filler (eek!) and them aybe a seriously corroded set of Golf Montreal 2's that reside in my father inlaws garage for over the summer!

and i urge anyone else to give it a go themselves before forking out for a pro job!

• Like 1

Great job Cliff

TBF if anyone spends time looking so closely at your wheels as to notice the slight imperfections... then they can't be that interesting and I wouldn't worry about what they think tbh. B) Nice work.

Thanks All

It is hugely satisfying to be able to think "I did that and it looks great"

The imperfections are in the clear coat anyways and given i've been staring at the damn things for hours on end I'm really sensitive to them.

Once fitted to the car they'll look awesome and anyone who does spend long enough and looks close enough to spot them does indeed need to get out more! :D

Final pictures when fitted to the car (might even give the car a wash too) :thumbup:

Use some soapy water with the 2000 grade paper to stop clogging. Creates a smooter finish

ah yeah if i went anywhere near the clear coat it would have been using the wet function of wet and dry paper!

I thought it was something more complex than that :)

We'll see

To be honest I reckon i'd end up sanding the runs down and then spraying some more on! :D i'll probably just seal them and get them on and see if i can live with it.

well this morning i was woken by tub of this dropping through my letterbox

IMG_0388.jpg

(ok so the posty had to ring the doorbell and get me to collect cos it was in a massive box but you get my drift)

it was a much larger tin than i was expecting and should last me forever; even if i used it to do the entire car everytime i washed it!

mmmmmmmm waxy

IMG_0390.jpg

final result wheels that are super super shiny and even more protected; meaning brake dust and roag grime shoudl just slide off in future

IMG_0398.jpg

Now begins the quest to find a tyre fitter with a delicate enough touch to fit them without damaging my handiwork!! :o

Edited by PastyBoy

They look good! I'd be pleased with those personally. :thumbup:

I'd be interested to see how these last mind you. I did mine recently, much like you having never done any spraying before and got what I deemed a decent result. Problem is they've got a fair few stone chips in them after a couple of months. Tyre fitters didn't damage them at all though, just the road dirt/stones. Must have had about 5-6+ coats of paint per wheel, and about 3-4 of laquar (sp). Bit disappointed really. :thumbdown: