Driver's door lock

My daughter has owned my old Octavia for two weeks. Now the drivers door look has stopped working. The door will neither lock nor unlock from the driver's side. When turning the key to open the door it just goes round with no resistance at all.

The car has to be locked/unlocked from the passenger side, she then has to lean over and open the drivers door from inside.

Is this a case of renewing the door lock or is there more to it?

I would be grateful for any help on sorting this out. Thank you.

Denis

there is a lock repair kit , the metal breaks off the end that turns the unit in the door , my mrs car has done it ,BUT i cannot get the damn bolt out of the door to get the lock out as its a special torx type one ? ours is drivers side , anyone help??

ant

Buy a Torx set.... lol.

The screwdriver types are probably the best, as the socket type may require drilling out the access hole slightly. I had too, but the rubber grommet still fits.

There is a detailed post on here somewhere showing lock removal in total.

My guess is, you can leave the interior panel in place, and just do the bit concerning removing the barrel.

It's a five-minute job with the right tools. (They're not that expensive to buy.)

I have a torx set and torx sockets but none fit this screw , its a anti theft screw ive been told ? ie special tool needed ?

I cant seem to find the guide for the lock....ive got the fixing kit and know how to do it , just cant get that damn screw out !?....

ant

That is different to the skoda lock , the screw is a anti tamper one with the pin in the middle , so I will need a tool with a gap in the end, im not sure what size to get though !?......

anyone know

ant

That is different to the skoda lock , the screw is a anti tamper one with the pin in the middle , so I will need a tool with a gap in the end, im not sure what size to get though !?......

anyone know

ant

Sorry - picked the wrong item. The tool required is a T20-H. This is a Torx T20 security. You need the tool as most standard length bits are not long enough.

Here is one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T20-TORX-SCREWDRIVER-TAMPERPROOF-SECURITY-HOLE-/270421364238?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3ef65e8e0e

When you do get the right tool, make sure you only loosen the screw enough to get the lock cylinder out. The screws are a PITA to get back in. The door handle holds the lock bezel in position, so you will need to hold the handle open whilst you pull the cylinder out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Sorry to jump into an old thread but needs must.

i had to replace the Bowden cable on the driver door and everything was working cool till i took the door lock cylinder screw out all the way out to remove the door lock itself and i dropped the screw into the door. Now the door lock is insecure. Is there anyway to retrieve the screw or can i buy a replacement screw from anywhere and if so is it a PITA to put back in?

cheers lads and lassies 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, octaviavrs170 said:

Sorry to jump into an old thread but needs must.

i had to replace the Bowden cable on the driver door and everything was working cool till i took the door lock cylinder screw out all the way out to remove the door lock itself and i dropped the screw into the door. Now the door lock is insecure. Is there anyway to retrieve the screw or can i buy a replacement screw from anywhere and if so is it a PITA to put back in?

cheers lads and lassies 

I dropped mine and it went deep into the corner where I couldn't get it. I ended up having to go to a breakers and find an Octavia and took all the spare screws.

9 minutes ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

I dropped mine and it went deep into the corner where I couldn't get it. I ended up having to go to a breakers and find an Octavia and took all the spare screws.

I can see me doing that too. Oh well need to have a wee look out.