Machine polishing a vRS

DBP

Hi all, as per the title I want to machine polish my vRS mk1 Magic black.

I have never done it properly before but really want to give it ago. I know most people would be saying stop right there, hirer in a pro! But the thing is work has just dropped a load of my hours so I need something to keep me busy really.

Now before I go and apply anything to my actual car I have loads of spare panels and bumpers to practise on before I go to the vRS. Hope that lowers a few heart rates lol.

So what I really need to know, what are the best bits of kits I need to do the Job?

I have a Sealey Polisher/sander I can use for the job with a variable speed option.

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=13312&productdescription=&productcode=&category=10&catgroup=305&catmicrogroup=&analysiscode=&requiredresults=16

What polishes and pads would I need for the Job? I believe I have a 5/6 inch base for it atm.

I know all about pre prep and things like that and bar the snow foam I have it all in place.

The only thing I don't know is the thickness of the paint. It's an ex-rep mobile so I doubt it has ever been polished before but have no idea how think the clear coat is. Its an early 03 plate.

Thanks,

Damian.

What polishes and pads would I need for the Job? I believe I have a 5/6 inch base for it atm.

The only thing I don't know is the thickness of the paint. It's an ex-rep mobile so I doubt it has ever been polished before but have no idea how think the clear coat is. Its an early 03 plate.

I use both sizes of Hexlogic pads and 3m polishes

If the backing plate on your machine is 170mm then you would have to get a 125mm plate so you can use the 150mm pads.

VAG paint is notoriously hard so a decent compound like 3M fast cut+ will be needed depending on the degree of correction required. I'd advise borrowing a paint depth gauge to check the thickness before starting any polishing, if you are a member on Detailing World someone nearby might be able to either lend you theirs or pop round and do a few readings.

Edited by alexandjen

I found this on Polished bliss, its saying that Skodas have a medium paint, so should I go with medium products to be safe, least if it doesn't do it first time I can keep trying. Can't i? or will keep doing it make no difference?

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pdfs/painthardness.pdf

As for paint thickness..

what about this as a way of trying to determine its depth?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Paint-Coating-Thickness-Gauge-BIT3003-PRODUCER-MOVIE-HD-/280557643818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415289e82a

With those Hexilogic pads... do the colours make a difference or are they just colours?

I am on there so I will give them a post, thought I would just ask the Skoda guys first ;)

I found this on Polished bliss, its saying that Skodas have a medium paint, so should I go with medium products to be safe, least if it doesn't do it first time I can keep trying. Can't i? or will keep doing it make no difference?

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pdfs/painthardness.pdf

As for paint thickness..

what about this as a way of trying to determine its depth?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Paint-Coating-Thickness-Gauge-BIT3003-PRODUCER-MOVIE-HD-/280557643818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415289e82a

With those Hexilogic pads... do the colours make a difference or are they just colours?

I am on there so I will give them a post, thought I would just ask the Skoda guys first ;)

Well mine is like grinding concrete but you should always start with your least aggressive pad and polsh combo and work up until the desired correction is achieved. So start with a less agressive polish/pad, if that works then continue with that on the rest of the car, if not then step up to a more aggresive polish/pad :thumbup:

That paint gauge seems to cheap to be accurate, I'd see if you can get your hands on a proper digital gauge.

The hexlogic pads are coloured differently as they have varying degrees of softness - CHART

So how does this work out as a plan?

It's a break down of what I need todo/bits I require

Snow foam

-Snow foam

-Lance

wash down

-Standard wash solution

-Lambs wool mit

-Sponge for shuts

-Two buckets

Snow foam again

Clay bar

-Standard clar bar

Dry car

-Towel off

-air power

Tape up

-3M Blue tape

Polish 1st run

-3m fine cut+

-Orange Hexilogic

Maybe 2nd run

Buff

-Black Hexilogic

-3M Ultrafina Perfect-itâ„¢ III Ultrafinaâ„¢ SE Polish

Wax

-Colnite wax

-Micro fibre

missed anything?

A set of various size detailing brushes will be handy for the shuts, badges and around trim etc.

I'd miss out the snow foam after washing and go with......

Foam (leave to dwell for 5 mins) - Rinse - Foam - Wash 2BM - Rinse - Clay - Rinse - Dry

I'd start with Ultrafine on a green pad, then step up to orange if it doesn't correct and even up to fast cut plus if it isn't removing the swirls.

Ultrafina on a black pad should be ok to refine the finish once the correction is carried out.

I usually use a pre-wax cleanser like Lime Prime Lite before apply my wax or sealant just to remove any polishing oils that may be present but a wipe down with a 50/50 mix of water and IPA will do the same.

Have a good read of Dave Kg's guide if you haven't already :thumbup:

Edited by alexandjen

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to doing it.

Thanks for the advice along the way :)

Day one:

Pre-soak car with hot water and soap in tough areas

Clean wheels and engine bay

Power wash car

2 bucket method clean

Power wash off

Quick detail/claybar

Start on bonnet and offside wing

Day two:

Polish the rest of the car

quick detail to remove polish dust and wax prep

Wax

Total spend £75

I only used a black hexalogic pad and 3M polishes so I haven't gotten rid of all the swirls but I didn't really want that. If it was show shine ready then I would be nervous every time I saw a scratch. In some photos there is a bit of dust left over but that is all gone now.

Next job: black off bump strips.

Skodapolish.jpg

Skodapolish1.jpg

Skodapolish2.jpg

Skodapolish3.jpg

Skodapolish4.jpg

Skodapolish5.jpg

Skodapolish6.jpg

Skodapolish7.jpg

Skodapolish8.jpg

Skodapolish9.jpg

Skodapolish10.jpg

Skodapolish11.jpg

Skodapolish12.jpg

Skodapolish13.jpg

Skodapolish14.jpg

Skodapolish15.jpg

Skodapolish16.jpg

Skodapolish17.jpg

Skodapolish18.jpg

+1 Looking far far better than the poorly looked after state it was in.. all that marring eeek - well done :thumbup:

i havent summoned up the balls to take my Kestrel to the car just yet... what a wuss :giggle: iam

although luckily ive got to know an old school friend again through Facebook.. and he just happens to be a paint sprayer... who'm has also machine polished thousands of times, and even better got a well lit garage to work in - happy days (no excuse now really eh :p )

Cheers all for the paint love. :)

As you can see the paint was terrible so I had to be brave. I used a really soft pad and read all the guides, decided I might as well try and learn how todo it.

I am going to be even braver soon and respray the bumpers and wheels!