Removal of aftermarket dump valve and induction kit

Hi everyone,

Don't shout at me!!

I would like to remove the induction kit (K&N) and dump valve (not sure what make) and put it back to standard under the bonnet.

I realise I need a new airbox - but I guess the air flow meter will still be present infront of the K&N? - Will a 1.6 airbox be right? (one on ebay) or does it need to be one from a vRS? (Guessing it should be)

The dump valve is another thing! - How the heck do I get that back to standard? Never dealt with turbos before, so no idea how to remove it and get a standard one back on....

Any advice appreciated.

I think the wife wants to keep the Longlife stainless exhaust though - it's nice and throaty!

Tris

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easiest option is to fit a vRS airbox. There are several that fit, but you need to know the engine code.

The MAF should in the K&N, hopefully you'll be able to extract it.

Personally I'd leave the dump valve - which should infact be a diverter valve. They aren't really a performance mod, but rather replace the OEM units, which have known reliability issues.

If you do wish to replace it with an OEM unit, the unit from BAM engines (Audi TT, S3, Leon Cupra R) are considered stronger.

The diverter valve is a straight swap, and fits into the existing pipework.

Easiest option is to fit a vRS airbox. There are several that fit, but you need to know the engine code.

The MAF should in the K&N, hopefully you'll be able to extract it.

Personally I'd leave the dump valve - which should infact be a diverter valve. They aren't really a performance mod, but rather replace the OEM units, which have known reliability issues.

If you do wish to replace it with an OEM unit, the unit from BAM engines (Audi TT, S3, Leon Cupra R) are considered stronger.

The diverter valve is a straight swap, and fits into the existing pipework.

Thanks for the info.

With the dump valve - I guess it's more just wanting to stop the loud noise of expelling air than going back to OEM to be honest.

Tris

Just to clarify, a diverter valve should look something like this photo:

DV_001.jpg

A diverter valve does not dump to atmosphere, but redirects flow back into boost system. It should make a whistling/hissing sound - shouldn't be too loud. The OEM unit looks more or less the same, but is made from plastic.

If you do actually have a dump valve fitted, that is one which dumps to atmosphere, you should change it. The VAG turbo system is a recirculating type, and dump valves are best suited.

Thanks for the info.

With the dump valve - I guess it's more just wanting to stop the loud noise of expelling air than going back to OEM to be honest.

Tris

If you go back to std OEM airbox then your DV will not be hissing anymore as it is the none std airbox causing that, and not the DV itself, unless as mentioned you have a vent to air DV which should not be used on these cars, they should be a recirculating one as per the pic. i.e they have pipes at right angles to each other and not just one pipe.

If you go back to std OEM airbox then your DV will not be hissing anymore as it is the none std airbox causing that, and not the DV itself, unless as mentioned you have a vent to air DV which should not be used on these cars, they should be a recirculating one as per the pic. i.e they have pipes at right angles to each other and not just one pipe.

Ok, well - it looks like whoever installed the system on my car did a bum job.

Where your larger blue pipe comes up.............mine is blanked off !!! - Then a very small tube comes from somewhere near where your silver thingy is down to the front left of the engine bay to a device, which I assume is the DV. I will post pics tonight.

So as what I have is obviously wrong - what do I do to rectify it? And has damage been done??

Tris

pay for the p/p mate can have it

You're an absolute star mate! :thumbup:

Let me know what the postage and packing is, and I can PayPal you the money? (I can pay the paypal fees this end so you get all the cash)

Cheers!

Tris

Do you fancy selling the induction kit if it's tidy ? ;)

Aye mate, you're welcome to it for P&P charges. - Same deal as danp made for me :thumbup:

I'll take pics tonight so you can make sure it's ok for you. As far as I'm aware, there's nowt wrong with it :thumbup:

As soon as I've fitted the original bits, I'll give you a shout.

Tris

The standard DV setup should look a little like this:

p1030882pb.jpg

p1030891h.jpg

It sounds like you have a DV relocation kit fitted. Where the DV is moved to the hose between the intercooler and throttle body. You should have a hose (about 25mm diam.) coming from the DV back to the intake hose. If not, then I guess it's dumping to atmosphere. Like you say, get a pic up, and we can help you get it back to standard. I can give you all the part numbers you need, as I've replaced most of the hoses you need with OE ones.

Ok, well - it looks like whoever installed the system on my car did a bum job.

Where your larger blue pipe comes up.............mine is blanked off !!! - Then a very small tube comes from somewhere near where your silver thingy is down to the front left of the engine bay to a device, which I assume is the DV. I will post pics tonight.

So as what I have is obviously wrong - what do I do to rectify it? And has damage been done??

Tris

You have either got a DV relocation kit that sits the DV away from the std position or you have a Vent to air one that the thick pipe running at the back of the engine to the DV(left side to DV with black rubber ring on it) has been blocked off and your DV is just sitting into the larger pipe that routes to the MAF/Airbox. Finally you should still have a small thin pipe coming out the top of the DV.

the pic below shows the connections to a DV. Athough the pipe are silicon and the DV is a Forge one, the routing to DV is as per std set up.

VRSWRCSpoiler012.jpg

I'll be honest guys - I'm really out of my depth here on turbos and dump valves, etc. So although I can all the differences between our bays, I'm not sure if mine is right, wrong or just different.

Honestly - if the setup I have here is ok, I'm going to leave it alone!

Check it out:

eng1.jpg

eng4.jpg

eng2.jpg

eng3.jpg

Tris

Aye mate, you're welcome to it for P&P charges. - Same deal as danp made for me :thumbup:

I'll take pics tonight so you can make sure it's ok for you. As far as I'm aware, there's nowt wrong with it :thumbup:

As soon as I've fitted the original bits, I'll give you a shout.

Tris

Thanks mate your a legend ;)

On second thoughts theres something not right in the last photo... think that might be the cause of all the noise

That last pic is what's located at the front left of the bay.

What's not right mate? And what can I do to rectify?

I also don't like the fact that the pipe to that is running under the engine cover !! :thumbdown:

Tris

Guest westallc

how not to do it lol

first that is a atmosperic dump valve get rid there crap

second they have mounted it on the cold side wich imo has no benifits

what you need to do is blank of the hose where the dv is now and the refit an oem one where it should go as standard and refit the recirc pipe where they have blanked of and refit the standard box as that filter looks cack

how not to do it lol

first that is a atmosperic dump valve get rid there crap

second they have mounted it on the cold side wich imo has no benifits

what you need to do is blank of the hose where the dv is now and the refit an oem one where it should go as standard and refit the recirc pipe where they have blanked of and refit the standard box as that filter looks cack

I don't have any of the standard parts. The last owner chucked them away!! - Arse. :thumbdown:

Thankfully, danp is donating his standard airbox to me for paying the postage - sorted.

Ok, as I said earlier I've no idea on this stuff, but am good with my hands if I have instruction. I think I understand what you're saying to do - but what parts do I actually need to purchase? Is it just a standard DV and recric hose?

Has anyone got the standard parts that I need?? - I will buy them from you! :thumbup:

Cheers for the help

Tris

Edited by TristanC

I don't have any of the standard parts. The last owner chucked them away!! - Arse. emoticon-0149-no.gif

Thankfully, danp is donating his standard airbox to me for paying the postage - sorted.

Ok, as I said earlier I've no idea on this stuff, but am good with my hands if I have instruction. I think I understand what you're saying to do - but what parts do I actually need to purchase? Is it just a standard DV and recric hose?

Has anyone got the standard parts that I need?? - I will buy them from you! emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Cheers for the help

Tris

I have all the standard parts apart from the dump valve, I have fitted a silcone boost kit and kept all the original pipes and also have a standard air box, just incase something happens to the one from danp.

As I no longer have a mrk1 vrs you can the lot for £20 plus postage! does that sound alright?

Chris

I have all the standard parts apart from the dump valve, I have fitted a silcone boost kit and kept all the original pipes and also have a standard air box, just incase something happens to the one from danp.

As I no longer have a mrk1 vrs you can the lot for £20 plus postage! does that sound alright?

Chris

Cheers mate - I'll have a think about it as I'm not sure how much the dump valve will be yet either. Saw one on eBay for £35 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260687244090) not sure if this is as standard as I can get?

- Also it's going in tomorrow to have an oil leak diagnosed - so not sure how much that is going to set me back!

Aside from those pipes and a dump valve, anything else I need? - Will it be straight forward enough to do?

Tris

Edited by TristanC

Cheers mate - I'll have a think about it as I'm not sure how much the dump valve will be yet either. Saw one on eBay for £35 (http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=260687244090) not sure if this is as standard as I can get?

- Also it's going in tomorrow to have an oil leak diagnosed - so not sure how much that is going to set me back!

Aside from those pipes and a dump valve, anything else I need? - Will it be straight forward enough to do?

Tris

A new standard blow off valve is £45.

The pipes are straight forward to fit, you'll just need some jubilee clips.

You just need to put the valve back in its original place, use the picture of bowders1 as a example of who it should be.