Fabia I 1.4TDI annoying vibration noise

First of all, let me apologize for my lack of knowledge concerning technical expressions, English is not my first language. I will try to describe the problem to my best ability.

I own a Fabia I 1.4TDI, 2005. The problem started with car squeaking in cold or wet weather. I went to the mechanic, and he changed the "rubber thingies" :) under the car, replaced it with a RS model, said it would be better. And it was, the squeaking disappeared. But now I have a new, more annoying noise. In lower revs, the car sorts of vibrates, with this really annoying frequency that makes your ears hurt. For example, if I drive about 90km/h (about 55mph I guess) in fifth gear, the noise appears. If I press the clutch, or downshift, it goes away. If I drive below 2000rpm's the noise appears. Did I say it's really annoying? Every time I shift before 3000rpm, the car produces this sound. It's impossible to drive about 30mph in 3rd gear. My mechanic doesn't know what to do.

Also, there is this really retelling sound coming somewhere from the passenger side, I would say from the glove compartment. I did empty it, didn't help.

Anyone has any clues?

I have the exact same problem after having the Cupra bushes fitted into the rear consoles, as soon as the weather picks up I am replacing with the Skoda standard (Octavia) ones.

With the 1.4 TDI engine it developes a vibration below 1800 rpm which is not acceptable.

I have replaced the Dogbone mounting and I am going to check the engine mount on the air filter side also.

DB.

• 5 years later...

I have the exact same problem after having the Cupra bushes fitted into the rear consoles, as soon as the weather picks up I am replacing with the Skoda standard (Octavia) ones.

With the 1.4 TDI engine it developes a vibration below 1800 rpm which is not acceptable.

I have replaced the Dogbone mounting and I am going to check the engine mount on the air filter side also.

DB.

Did you get your issue solved Mogwye?

Yes I did, I found that the flexible gear selector cables had not been pushed back into their respective plastic clips and the cables were touching the lower part of the bulkhead in the engine compartment causing the metallic noises, I also added a few cables ties to stop them floating around too.

In your case if it's not the above, it may be the front exhaust shield that's vibrating and touching something.

DB.

Yeah definitely worth checking that everything is clipped into place properly and that there is nothing loose or hanging down and touching a part of the car that it shouldn't.

I had this issue myself recently, see here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/402933-engine-vibration-through-brake-accelerator-pedals/

Superb guys, just bought the car and it needs the handbrake cable done, plastics were lifted and put back down, although not screwed back into place. I'll make the gear selector my priority till I can get it on my friends ramp.

I have just checked on my other car and found that it does not have the clips previously mentioned.

What it does have are like 2" pieces of hosepipe with 3/8" barbs on, imagine a hosepipe with porcupine quills in a star fashion.

I reckon if you cut two pieces of 2" x 10mm pipe insulation and just slip them on the cables to keep them from the floorpan, it should do the job.

DB.