Best way to add IPhone 3G & 4 to Octavia Mk2 (Typ 1Z) BKD L&K with no phone kit

What is the Best way to add IPhone 3G & 4 to Octavia Mk2 (Typ 1Z) BKD L&K with no phone kit as standard?

I would like to use the phones handsfree and play the music from them. sat nav is on the phones etc..

Edited by lucy_t

+1 for the TomTom kit. Think it does the things you're after, and looks pretty nice in the process.

I'm quite a fan of TomTom's mapping software, and have a Go730 unit myself. I have looked at the iPhone version. Is that what you use? What do you make of it?

The iPhone TT car kit has been great. It's much louder than the TT One and TT Go 530 I had.

You get the same HD traffic, Map Share and POI's as the Go.

Easy to add custom POI's and car images as well.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the suggestions of the dock.

It looks good but is the handsfree good enough for people to hear you and you to hear them on the motorway?

As for iPhone tomtom the issue I have is Speedcameras and POI's, unless they are from tomtom you have to jailbreak to change them unless purchased from tomtom. e.g. if you used speedcamera db etc..

Speed is good and integration with your contacts addresses works well.

If you install the dock do you plug it into the cigarette lighter or have you hardwired it to the 12v ignition?

As the car has the Bolero system how do you get the music from the Phone to the Car stereo?

CHeers,

L

I transferred my pocketGPS database from my PC to the TomTom folders on the iPhone using iPhone Explorer, also POI's for Shell garages etc etc.

No jail-breaking necessary.

Thinking about the POI's though, you don't need any really, as it has a google local search on any POI you'll ever need.

It's currently plugged into a two socket USB adapter for the ciggy lighter and the long cable routed up and behind the steering wheel side of the dash.

You can use the Aux socket to get music from phone to stereo, again with a long lead tucked up and out the way. Its far easier to use a 8 or 16GB SD Card though. you get track names that way.

I want to get the kit hard wired as it sits so close to the fuse box.

As for the sound, just asked SWMBO and she says its as clear as it was with my old car kit - a Parrot MK9100.

Ok, so time for me to source the TT dock then, have also noticed that a spade connector to the fuse box can give me switched live, and then one 3.5mm jack cable for audio.

Iphone TomTom Dock

The other thing that I wondered is do you have the dab kit, or have people wired in dab e.g. Using pure etc?

Edited by lucy_t

Ok, so time for me to source the TT dock then, have also noticed that a spade connector to the fuse box can give me switched live, and then one 3.5mm jack cable for audio.

Iphone TomTom Dock

The other thing that I wondered is do you have the dab kit, or have people wired in dab e.g. Using pure etc?

Thats the one my self and a friend ordered.

Its the proper kit apart from the charger.

I ditched it straight away and got a normal albeit long usb cable.

i have no dab kit. if you have aux in and use the iphone then use "tune in radio"

any good?

Excellent, the other suggestion is to wire a cigarette socket (female) to a fused line into a ignition switched live point on the fuse board on the side of the dash using a spade and plug an existing cigarette charger into the female socket. You can squirrel away the wiring etc behind the dash around the steering wheel, just leaving a tidy wire coming up from the nearest gap in the dash.

You could try one of these devices with bluetooth added.

Will then play music through the cable (can keep 6 disc boot CD changer if you have one) and stream calls via bluetooth. Just not sure what to do with the microphone (I don't know if it is wired or not)!

Edited by KBPhoto

A couple of weeks ago I posted up a little tip for using a mobile phone without paying out for any kind of Bluetooth.

Check it out here - Phone Tip

For mounting options check out this site - Brodit iPhone 4 Holder

And this for fixing the holder into the car - Brodit ProClip

To fit the proclip you don't need any tools at all and only a screwdriver to fit the mount to the proclip (self tapping screws).

It's a wonderful system and works really well with my HTC Desire. Only negative thing is that there is no way to change the music from the Bolero controls - but thats a small price to pay.

Rich

Edited by Rich_N

• 4 weeks later...