Detacheable Tow Hitch On Yeti

Ajhas

Northwest quoted me £545 and others from £400 to £743. What worried me was the lack of knowledge and lack of information they all gave. Also the assumption that you were not being the tow bar got a caravan. The Skoda dealers had extras for twin electrics.

My local dealer Eward also adding extras for painting which I have never seen mentioned before.

The guy I spoke to at Northwest In Stockport seemed pretty clued up on the Yeti fitting, and knew all about the bumper cut-out etc. The extra loom for the caravan charging circuit etc is, I have read somewhere, over £100 extra, but can be run along side the standard front-to-rear towing loom so shouldn`t be a lot more labour charges.

Not sure what needs painting, the bumper "skirt" is moulded in silver plastic, so when you cut the hatch out, the cut edges are still silver and don`t need paint.

Knowing what I know now, I would ask the following questions to the prospective fitter.

Are you fitting a complete Westfalia towbar ( ie OE) and wiring loom ? Will it be fitted in accordance with the Westfalia fitting guide, including every part being connected as recommended in that guide?

If they cannot answer these questions, or don`t seem keen to answer, then I`d look elsewhere. The correct fitment for the OE wiring loom includes running cables through the engine firewall to a connection on the battery with a heavy-duty fuse (all included in the OE kit). Some fitters feel it is OK to get a live 12V feed from out the back of the fuse-box and use this as the new wiring loom feed, cutting the new Westfalia loom down to suit, cutting off the correct OE connectors that Westfalia put on there so they will just plug right into the Skoda connections. They do this to save them the trouble of having to find the grommet in the firewall (which is pictured in the Westfalia fitting guide so it`s easy to spot) and running the cable through it to the battery ! Lazy !

Edited by JohnYeti

Try these people http://www.towbar-uk.co.uk/default.htm (MDS Towbars) they will come to you and fit it. - They are in Rochdale, but cover North Wales

About 18 months ago they fitted a Westphalia fixed tow bar to my Yeti complete with all electrics including caravan wiring PROPERLY done including vehicle coding for £355 inc vat.

They are still charging about the same price today (perhaps slightly higher) the only extra would be the difference in price between fixed and detachable.

A few people on here have used them

• 4 years later...