Buying A Brand New Vrs Tdi Need Advice!

Hi all Im new here this is my first post and I need some advice.

Im in the process of changing my 2001 Audi TT 225 to a shiny new Skoda VRS diesel non DSG.

Took one for a drive last month and after driving all my other options(scirocco 170 TDI and Golf GTD) was sold on the VRS for value, performance and usefulness.

Questions I have are..

1 What options can you not live without in your opinion and what options are a waste of time

2 There are rumours online of a Octavia 3 coming out in a year or less should I wait..any truth in the rumors

3 Can I get piano black dash inserts similar to options from Volkswagen? I don't see it on the configurator or options lists here in Ireland but see them in pictures online and love that look.

4 Am I correct in thinking that if I take cornering fogs option that under 40 Km one fogs light turn on as I'm turning corners?? seems like a strange option anyone got it and like it. Can see it confusing other drivers.

6 If I wait and order a special edition can you spec it up even further or are you stuck with the standard special edition spec.

I have more or less decided to go with every option available but I hate the alloys any advice..should i stay with 17's and then just buy a nice set of non OEM use the 17s for winter driving? Also is it just me or are there even more options available just not listed on the config and dealers lists?

Thanks in Advance.

Any other advice or ideas before I hand over my cash to the dealer would be much appreciated.

1 What options can you not live without in your opinion and what options are a waste of time

2 There are rumours online of a Octavia 3 coming out in a year or less should I wait..any truth in the rumors

3 Can I get piano black dash inserts similar to options from Volkswagen? I don't see it on the configurator or options lists here in Ireland but see them in pictures online and love that look.

4 Am I correct in thinking that if I take cornering fogs option that under 40 Km one fogs light turn on as I'm turning corners?? seems like a strange option anyone got it and like it. Can see it confusing other drivers.

6 If I wait and order a special edition can you spec it up even further or are you stuck with the standard special edition spec.

I have more or less decided to go with every option available but I hate the alloys any advice..should i stay with 17's and then just buy a nice set of non OEM use the 17s for winter driving?

I think Irish spec's vary from UK specifications?

1) Estate, maxidot, sunset privacy glass, xenons, full size spare wheel, rear parking sensors.

Annoyingly non-DSG vRS's do not get the multi-function steering wheel, even as a cost option.

2) No, the current Octavia has just had a facelift, it's going to be around in it's current guise for a few more years yet.

3) Not here in the UK, although they do come as standard on the high spec L&K so your dealer could order them as parts and fit them prior to delivery.

4) Again, might be different in Ireland but cornering lights are standard on UK vRS's, they can be activated and deactivated using maxidot (if you spec it above). Yes, they turn on at slow speeds when you have your headlights on and turn the wheel and/or indicate. I have them on my Scout and like them.

5) What is the special edition? We had the LE (Limited Edition) a few years ago but it wasn't possible to add options.

I thought the alloys were 18" as standard?

Im in the process of changing my 2001 Audi TT 225 to a shiny new Skoda VRS diesel non DSG.

Took one for a drive last month and after driving all my other options(scirocco 170 TDI and Golf GTD) was sold on the VRS for value, performance and usefulness.

Questions I have are..

I think the HID option is excellent..but expensive..IMO..Get that + Reversing sensors

I know of no new Octavia next year

3 Can I get piano black dash inserts similar to options from Volkswagen? I don't see it on the configurator or options lists here in Ireland but see them in pictures online and love that look. No

4 Am I correct in thinking that if I take cornering fogs option that under 40 Km one fogs light turn on as I'm turning corners?? seems like a strange option anyone got it and like it. Can see it confusing other drivers. Yes but useless IMO

6 If I wait and order a special edition can you spec it up even further or are you stuck with the standard special edition spec. Pass

I have more or less decided to go with every option available but I hate the alloys any advice..should i stay with 17's and then just buy a nice set of non OEM use the 17s for winter driving? Also is it just me or are there even more options available just not listed on the config and dealers lists?

Neptune 18's are standard in the UK

As above

Thanks in Advance.

Any other advice or ideas before I hand over my cash to the dealer would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I guess spec does differ a little..

There is definitely a MF Steering Wheel available for DSG option. 4 spoke as oppose to 3 spoke for non DSG I think.

I have a feeling maxidot, sunset privacy glass, xenons, full size spare wheel, rear parking sensors may be standard in Ireland but as Skoda took down the Irish configurator its hard to tell.

Good to know this model will be round a while.

If I chose non cornering fog lights from what I see the main lights do the cornering for me anyway.

I meant limited edition I was thinking of waiting for another one to come out or at least ask if one was due soon.

17s as standard I think but I may be wrong.

Whats the L&K model?? I see the black inserts available on some mod web sites and it states they are original skoda parts surely I can ask my dealer to get them fitted for me.

Seems to me the dealers are being very secretive in ireland regarding prices of extras etc or are Skoda changing prices constantly...I know prices in ireland dropped recently in Ireland across the model ranges.

Edited by CnSky

Questions I have are..

Options are cool.

if you are in a position to tick all the boxes then go for it emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

There was some STORY going round about a new octy in or around 2012 but i think that is what it was a STORY

Never saw it,,,, To be honest it wouldnt bother me. Too busy loving my vRS

Got this activated on my vRS last week at the dealers.. Turn left and left fog comes on..Turn right and right fog comes on..Stick it in reverse and both fogs come on .. Lights up the kerbs nicely for parking

The only Special edition was the LE prior to the FL model but that was limited to 500 models I think

Stick with the 17's, I did..The majority of irish roads were not designed for 40 profile tyres

45's just about get away with it..

Also

when you do take off the 17's and stick on the winter tyres on them you can always donate the unused 17" tyres to me emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Thanks in Advance.

Irish cars come with

Full size spare so ok there

Reverse sensors are standard

Maxidot is standard

Xenons are €1100 extra

I got the leather @ €691 extra instead and put a set of HID replacements in last week @ around €75

Sunset privacy glass is not standard

L&K model is the Laurin&Klement model which is 140bhp I think

Best place to check for option extras is on Carzone.

Go to new cars

choose Skoda Octavia

Scroll down and choose vRS 170CR

New page with see tabs on top right with Options.

Have a look there

Oh

And welcome to another Irish vRS owner..

What part of Ireland are you from?

Based In North Wexford.

Thanks for response will look at carzone now.

Ah,

The good old "sunny south east" emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I head that direction most years during summer for a week away..Courtown mostly

By the way

Shop around and compare prices

I can almost guarantee you wont beat Tarrants price in Banteer..

I grew up in Courtown back in the good old days!!

I'm spec'ing it up with almost everything reason being a mid to high spec scirocco was setting me back 38k but I can max spec a VRS for 35K from what I see online...just wish the dealers would give me an options price list.

Banteer where is that?

Banteer is near Kanturk in Cork. If you take the road from Mallow to killarney turn off left for banteer

Tarrants will not be beaten. I bought a 1.9 4yrs ago there and I am awaiting the arrival of my new CR VRS Van Diesel

Burner.

She's at the docks in emden in the Fatherland awaiting shipment.

UK Specs can differ form Irish.

Mine is Race blue, 18 inch pegasus (like them, not the 17s but will last as long as I drive motorways only and keep off the other tracks!!)

Leather, heated

Homework done, cracking car.

Lots of great reply's thanks.

I see on the VW sites a lot of owners are removing the dash trims and having them sprayed themselves in piano black seems like an easier option to get that look and not too complicated to so from what I read.

Will still argue with dealers and see if they can source it at skoda.

You guys from Ireland have you had any luck getting some extras thrown in free at time of purchase... considering these harsh financial times we live in? and how long have you had to wait for new orders?

I grew up in Courtown back in the good old days!!

I'm spec'ing it up with almost everything reason being a mid to high spec scirocco was setting me back 38k but I can max spec a VRS for 35K from what I see online...just wish the dealers would give me an options price list.

Banteer where is that?

Tarrants Banteer>> Tarrants Street View

The good thing about buying there is enjoying the drive home..

It is ironic that you are driving a TT 225..

My neice has a '02 one and is buying my vRS when I am changing in October '12 emoticon-0103-cool.gif

You guys from Ireland have you had any luck getting some extras thrown in free at time of purchase... considering these harsh financial times we live in? and how long have you had to wait for new orders?

The thing about Tarrants is they cut their prices by a good margin and really have no room for extras

I got full set of mudflaps and the standard set of mats

BUT

I only specced my car with Leather option which was €691

Now, Deasy's in Cork hit their Rock bottom price as i had no trade in.

Rang Tarrants and without a second thought they knocked a further€500 off Deasy's price which meant I got the Leather for €191 emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Now I would imagine you could get a good deal with a fully specced up car

After my experience with the TT I cant wait to get my hands on a reliable car.

TT put me off ever owning an Audi again and Irish dealers have no idea and dont honor recalls from Audi UK even though cars are from same batch and main supplier in Ireland is UK owned by main Northern Irish Dealer.

Never again.

Such an expensive car to run and broke down constantly with annoying electrical issues.

From what I have read the skoda seems the most reliable from all the Volkswagen group.. my friend owns a motor factors and says he makes most of his profit selling parts for VW and Audi cars they just are not made for Irish roads.

After my experience with the TT I cant wait to get my hands on a reliable car.

TT put me off ever owning an Audi again and Irish dealers have no idea and dont honor recalls from Audi UK even though cars are from same batch and main supplier in Ireland is UK owned by main Northern Irish Dealer.

Never again.

Such an expensive car to run and broke down constantly with annoying electrical issues.

Sounds just as if you are talking about my Niece's one

Problem after problem

and worth nothing to sell emoticon-0149-no.gif

4) Again, might be different in Ireland but cornering lights are standard on UK vRS's, they can be activated and deactivated using maxidot (if you spec it above). Yes, they turn on at slow speeds when you have your headlights on and turn the wheel and/or indicate. I have them on my Scout and like them.

These can be activated on a UK VRS but they are not a standard feature as far as I know.

Edited by PSM

These can be activated on a UK VRS but they are not a standard feature as far as I know.

yes,

Same here in Ireland.

Needs to be activated

For the specs see here:

http://new.skoda-auto.com/IRL/Documents/PricingAndSpecs/01February2011/Octavia_RS_Price_and_Spec_Info.pdf

Brochure here:

http://new.skoda-auto.com/IRL/Documents/New_Octavia/NewOctaviaRS_Catalogue_ENG.pdf

:thumbup:

For me (haven't read the above)

Maxidot

Rear PDC

Xenons

MF Steering Wheel

Autolights/Wipers

..Oh and the 18's!

Maxidot

Comes as standard in Ireland

Rear PDC

Xenons

€1100 Extra >> HID conversion €75 emoticon-0148-yes.gif

MF Steering Wheel

I dont think this is available with Manual gearbox???

Autolights/Wipers

..Oh and the 18's!

Funny thing is all the ones I saw in showrooms recently have 18" wheels on them..Not sure if it is a dealer thing or if they come as standard nowemoticon-0124-worried.gif

Edited by vectra1

I know the MFSW isn't available in the UK on a manual but things like electrically folding mirrors are available in Ireland so thought it maybe an option.

HID kit all well and good for €75 but the Xenon's have AFSII, headlight washers and are legal. :giggle:

Seems Ireland get a better deal on the standard kit then! How much is a 'standard' VRS DSG CR?

Edited by jrw

I know the MFSW isn't available in the UK on a manual but things like electrically folding mirrors are available in Ireland so thought it maybe an option.

HID kit all well and good for €75 but the Xenon's have AFSII, headlight washers and are legal. :giggle:

Seems Ireland get a better deal on the standard kit then! How much is a 'standard' VRS DSG CR?

Electric folding mirrors were dropped on the FL model ( to my disappointment ) emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

HID conversions dont seem to bother the Law here once they are focused ok emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Yup

Irish cars are better emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

No, seriously though, we do seem to get a good deal on them here

A standard vRS dsg CR over here is List price €31,670

Electric folding mirrors were dropped on the FL model ( to my disappointment ) emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

HID conversions dont seem to bother the Law here once they are focused ok emoticon-0144-nod.gif

Yup

Irish cars are better emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

No, seriously though, we do seem to get a good deal on them here

A standard vRS dsg CR over here is List price €31,670

Mirrors are still an option in the spec list i posted? also auto dimming too.

That works out at £26700! Thats over £8k more than i paid with mine....that has a couple of extras to the Ireland standard spec (18's, heated seats, Xenon's, bluetooth, MFSW)