Best Wheel Size On Mk1 Vrs With Stock Suspension?

I've had a look at the Rimfest and show me your wheels threads and I'm getting the new wheel itch, especially as I need 4 new tyres soon :giggle:

The problem is that unlike most on here my vRS is on the stock suspension and TBH I can't see me changing it any time soon. So... with that in mind where is the sweet spot for wheel / tyre size on a non dropped vRS in your expert opinions?

Am I best off staying with 17's on my current 205/50 tyres? Are 18's a possibility or do they look daft without a suspension drop?

Also offsets, rim widths etc...?!

Any help would be great!

:smirk: hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :smirk:

:smirk: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i think :smirk: yes..........

i think if i had standard suspension id maybe stay with 17s but drop the 205/50/17 maybe and look at 215/45/17s or 225/45/17s or :smirk: yes!

id look at a wider 17 maybe 8-8.5 normal offsets would be like et35s but if your keeping stock with all that clearance , yeah id look at spacing them out :yes:

push he face out a little, flush or maybe sneaking out ;)

a et30 8.5 could be cool - or the other plan i have for winter is some 20mm bolt on H&R spacers, so the stock spyder will be sat angry in the arch rather than cowering in under it :giggle:

but i am it seems a bit odd :p

Edited by Lloyd55vrs

18s on standard suspension:

Luggage in the back on this one :)

Can you direct me to where you got the bumper vents from??? Was it a big job to put them in?

Hi

I've got some new 18" wheels for my Octy vRS and I too will be running them with std suspension and ride height.

The wheels are 8x18" et 35 and fitted with 225 40 R18 tyres will have the exact same dia and rolling radius as the std 205 50 R17 tyres fitted to the 7x17" et 38 spiders, so the body shell ride height will not alter from std.

For me the main reason for not wanting to change the suspension is, there's nothing wrong with it....its only done 22K from new and the car only is only used as a family car and will never ever be used on a race track or be sold on.

TBH though I'd never have replaced my mint, unmarked 17" spiders if it was'nt for the wife getting on my case about wanting them on her Fabia vRS, cos I think they really suit the styling of the Mk1 Octy.

But I've stumbled across a set of Italian made wheels, painted in "Hyper silver" that are a very similar design to the std spider which I hope will pull off the OEM look but at the same time improve the look of the car with them being slightly bigger and wider.

But if this all goes wrong and the 18's feck up the look of my pride and joy, well....I can see us ending up in the divorce courts.

HTH

Bill.

If I was concerned with looks I'd pick the largest wheel size that fitted. If I was concerned with feel I'd pick the lightest wheel/tyre combination I could afford, (which probably means the smallest narrowest wheel plus a tyre width that hits the sweet spot for that wheel size).

But I've stumbled across a set of Italian made wheels, painted in "Hyper silver" that are a very similar design to the std spider which I hope will pull off the OEM look but at the same time improve the look of the car with them being slightly bigger and wider.

But if this all goes wrong and the 18's feck up the look of my pride and joy, well....I can see us ending up in the divorce courts.

HTH

Bill.

They're not MAK wheels by any chance?

That's what mine are - MAK XLRs. Only 8.7kg each.

size tyres you running

Currently 215/40R18 on the rear and 225/40R18 on the front.

When I fitted the coilovers I found that the 225s rubbed on the rear when going into my drive.

Back on standard suspension at the moment as when I got to the fronts I found that the coilovers were not for the vRS !!

New ones have arrived now but I need to wait until after my hols to fit them.

They're not MAK wheels by any chance?

That's what mine are - MAK XLRs. Only 8.7kg each.

Hi Rob

Yes they are MAK wheels...the ones I went for are arnt as light as yours, according to the parerwork that came with them they are 10kgs.

A month or so ago I weighed the unused (from new) spare wheel from my Octy vRS which is fitted with a 205 50 R17 Conti, but I seem to have lost the peice of paper I wrote it down on, doh.

But from memory, I seem to recall it weighed around 21kgs....so I hope that with a good quality tyre fitted to the 18's it will work out no heavier than a std 17" spider/tyre set up.

Bill.

Thanks Rob :thumbup:

I just threw the numbers into a tyre size calculator and it seems that 225/40/18 is exactly the same rolling radius as 205/50/17 which is what I currently have.

Hmmmm.... so it seems that 17's with standard profile or 18's on a 40 profile are both options.

Edited by lordrobs

Thanks Rob :thumbup:

I just threw the numbers into a tyre size calculator and it seems that 225/40/18 is exactly the same rolling radius as 205/50/17 which is what I currently have.

Hmmmm.... so it seems that 17's with standard profile or 18's on a 40 profile are both options.

I run 18's 225/40/18 on standard susp with no trouble under load or otherwise :thumbup:

I think I'll probably continue to stick with the standard spiders simply because I can't settle on one style of wheel. I must have mulled over about 15 different styles in the last two weeks. Maybe I should splash the cash on a refurb of my current ones which are starting to look a little used.

I will of course have changed my mind by this time tomorrow :p

Edited by lordrobs

• 3 years later...