Columbus, New facelift vRS & Reversing Sensors

I'm in the process of looking to buy a new facelift vRS.

However I refuse point blank to pay £1600 (£1280 with the 20%) for a Columbus to be factory-fitted.

I purchased a Columbus for my current pre-facelift vRS.

However it is one of the original versions, so not sure of facelift compatability.

Also I'm scared to do the firmware upgrade on it - so it's running V7 maps, but I don't get the full postcode search facility.

OK, to the main questions:

1. I assume I could buy a seperate Columbus for a facelift vRS. What model number should I be looking for?

2. I'm speccing the new Octy with reversing sensors which I believe gives a display on the standard fit ICE in the facelift vRS.

If I buy a seperate Columbus, will that feature still be there? Or would I lose visual but still get the audible from the reversing sensors?

3. If you do buy factory-fitted columbus do the reversing sensor visuals still work?

Cheers.

I didn't need any coding done on mine :thumbup:

Firmware hasn't been updated as like you i am too scared!

Hi,

I am going through the same process, except into a pre-fl RS. Can you confirm that the car picture is displayed with reverse sensors showing, and the menus all work. (mine don't on both)

Do you know what version firmware you are using, I might try a downgrade if thats possible.

Tom

1) I think you're after a 3T0 unit (the older units change to this after FW upgrades)

2) If you fit an aftermarket unit you will most probably lose the graphics on the Columbus. I think there is some CANBUS kit needed to get it back (there was some threads on this a while back). But it still beeps, so why would you need it?

3) You will get full graphics and glorious technicolour with the standard fit factory Columbus.

Got reversing graphics when I retrofitted a 3T0 spec Columbus to my FL vRS. No additional coding needed than the standard to tell the car its there. Cost £700 as I steered clear of the stolen ones on EBay and had to pay a bit more for a <6 mth old unit at the time. Upgraded firmware to full postcode search with no problems, just beware it wipes everything!

I bought my Columbus a while ago.

I've got no idea of it's source - but because of this I haven't upgraded the firmware.

I'm tempted to leave it in my current Octy when I sell it and then buy a newer unit to go in my new FL Octy.

I'm not that bothered about the loss of graphics to be honest.

I'd like the full postcode search, so was thinking of buying a new version for the new car.

Just I refuse to pay Skoda £1600 (£1280 with discount) for a unit I know I can get for about half that price.

Think you would actually be paying £1333.33 for the priviledge of Columbus. £1333.33 plus VAT at 20% = £1,600.00. Either way it's a total rip-off for something that is functionally no better (worse in my opinion) than an aftermarket head unit from the likes of Kenwood or Pioneer. Only difference is that it looks a bit nicer in the dash because it was designed for VAG.