sdi clitch slip

ctiltman

Looks like my clutch is slipping intermittently, does this mean I will almost definitely need a new clutch? From looking on here that sounds like a massive outlay unless I am reading it wrong. Anyone got any tips on my next step? Could really do without the expense. Had the car since October and I've already thrown quote a wedge at it on consumables, and minor things like the window regulators etc. There comes a point when 500 quid or so is not a sensible expense on a car that's worth 1500 at best!

About £320 at my friendly indy. Our SDi had catastrophic clutch slip/disintegration. That's why we haggled £400 off the asking price and the clutch went about 5 weeks later - so my hunch was right.

Put handbrake on tight. Put it in 1st gear and try to set off. Prob wont stall in 1st or maybe 2nd, but if you try in 3rd and it still doesnt stall then you deffo have slip.

Weird how you can eat a clutch with an SDI engine! It must be all those tarmac ripping, wheel spin starts away from the lights that does it :rofl:

About £320 at my friendly indy. Our SDi had catastrophic clutch slip/disintegration. That's why we haggled £400 off the asking price and the clutch went about 5 weeks later - so my hunch was right.

Put handbrake on tight. Put it in 1st gear and try to set off. Prob wont stall in 1st or maybe 2nd, but if you try in 3rd and it still doesnt stall then you deffo have slip.

Weird how you can eat a clutch with an SDI engine! It must be all those tarmac ripping, wheel spin starts away from the lights that does it :rofl:

Ok, well just ran this little test, it wont stall in 3rd, 4th or even 5th....... So does clutch slip automatically mean a new clutch, or could it just be a repair, or a component of it that needs replacing?

Just had a LUK clutch put in mates SDI for £100 parts and a garge labour quote of £75! Its not as bad as people make out! LUK being the people that make OEM VAG clutches

Just had a LUK clutch put in mates SDI for £100 parts and a garge labour quote of £75! Its not as bad as people make out! LUK being the people that make OEM VAG clutches

Bargain, thats really cheap no the labour. Going to see my local garage tomorrow for a quote. I tentatively looked at Nationwide Auto centres online - quoted £600!!!!!!

I paid £100 for the labour on a clutch swap.

Matt

Feck! How much?? It's about a 1.5 hour out 1.5 hr in job. Total 3hrs plus a bit of faffing. 4hrs. That makes your labour rate £25 and no VAT. Obviously not a garage then.

The guys I use I know well and have been there for over 15yrs. They would never rip me off and do a good job. Their rate is £50 per hour. I just had 2x drop links and a fan belt done for a half hour labour :)

Feck! How much?? It's about a 1.5 hour out 1.5 hr in job. Total 3hrs plus a bit of faffing. 4hrs. That makes your labour rate £25 and no VAT. Obviously not a garage then.

The guys I use I know well and have been there for over 15yrs. They would never rip me off and do a good job. Their rate is £50 per hour. I just had 2x drop links and a fan belt done for a half hour labour :)

Sometimes you can find a garage at incredible rates ;)

Last week I had my RARB fitted. Cost: £0, but cost me an hour or so in sorting out a couple of problems with a laptop they have.

Aye, it was my clutch. The regularity of the clutch going may have something to do with it being as big as a DVD!

But as Bikerz says it's not that pricey to get the part yourself from a motorfactors, just search around for prices, don't go for the first one. Then do the same with garages, it may help if you 'let them know' your looking around for prices. Usually helps me get better prices. eg the guy i used this time dropped his price straight away when i told him i was searching around.

Also a tip, if your going to keep the car for a while it'll be best to pay the extra £20-£40 for a good clutch like LUK.... this way you won't be replacing it in a few months. (depending on how hard you drive it obviously)

Also a tip, if your going to tackle it yourself, make sure you've got all the tools you need first.... not like me.... doh.

How many miles have these cars done to be needing clutch replacements? I've done 299600 in my 10 year old SDi, with a lot of that in heavy stop/start traffic in Manchester/Liverpool, and the clutch is fine - the only thing that's gone wrong was the plastic box on the clutch pedal breaking.

That's quite impressive. Ive only done 71k, had the car 4 months now and don't know too much of it's history to be fair.

Mine is going in to have it replaced today, £310 was the best price i found locally, and that was Mr Clutch.

I had a gearbox failure at 30k in my sdi ,the huddersfield dealer insisted my clutch was almost worn out so they put me one in with the warranty work (i paid for the clutch) then at 60k again it started slipping.

the funny think is ive never had to relace a clutch in a car before but they refused to admit there may be a fault.

anyway i took it to an independent and they changed it,as they also found a gearbox oil leak my independent warranty paid for the work £360 full clutch oil seal and flywheel skimming.

im at 145k on the same clutch ,looking at the other work huddersfield skoda did on my car i belive the old clutch was put back in

edit this was before the dm keith takeover !

Edited by anton