Forced to fit the dreaded rubber bands....

rockhopper

This evening whilst out working, I managed to rip a side wall on my front tyre nearside tyre getting out of the way of an ambulance, Couldn't work out what the problems was at first as the car was pulling to the left, then I realised that the tyre had gone down, onceagain before the TPM told me.

Boy am I glad I have the spare wheel & not a tube of gunge.

As we were supposed to be going away tonight, too late now, I didn't really want to do the journey and the whole weekend at a max of 50mph as we'll be doing lots of motorway work.

So I have had to fit Elsie with those horrible wide tyre thingys. I'd much rather stay with my 215/60 R16's.

Not a happy bunny as that will wipe out most of todays' income replacing the ContiWinterContact Tyre.

So I have these 225/50 R17's fitted now and a spare, all torqued up properly.

Elsie does not look right now......

Yuk.

Mike

This evening whilst out working, I managed to rip a side wall on my front tyre nearside tyre getting out of the way of an ambulance, Couldn't work out what the problems was at first as the car was pulling to the left, then I realised that the tyre had gone down, onceagain before the TPM told me.

As we were supposed to be going away tonight, too late now, I didn't really want to do the journey and the whole weekend at a max of 50mph as we'll be doing lots of motorway work.

So I have had to fit Elsie with those horrible wide tyre thingys. I'd much rather stay with my 215/60 R16's.

Not a happy bunny as that will wipe out most of todays' income replacing the ContiWinterContact Tyre.

Yuk.

Mike

Do sympathise....especially one of the coveted Conti's :-)

Is the replacement easy enough to come by?

Easy to pull over too far / too enthusiastically when lights and sirens are bearing down on you....you do your best to get out of the way - only to find it's cost you. Could really happen to anyone in the heat of the moment.

Yuk.

Mike

Ivor sends hugs and kisses to Elsie and he hopes she feels better soon emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Hi Mike

Do skoda not do any tyre/wheel insurence to cover you for punctures\damage?

I took this out on the BMW after having problems with punctures on run flats

before on a mini cooper s. I did it after the deal had been struck for £250.

This entitled me to a maximum of 4 tyres over 3 years with only 2 claims a year.

After 17 months ownership I have claimed 2 tyres at a value of £500!

Michael.

Hi Mike

Do skoda not do any tyre/wheel insurence to cover you for punctures\damage?

I took this out on the BMW after having problemsHi Paul

On Saturday at the prayer breakfast I had the following picture.

It involves a boat!

You were on the shore/dockside. GVC were in the boat, heading out of the harbour towards the open sea which was very rough.

As the boat went out into the open seas there was a patch of calm around the boat and there was a hole in the cloud and sun shining on and around the boat. So even though the seas were rough around us, we were safe in the calm area.

Love

Mike

07971 806 225

Sent from my iPhone with punctures on run flats

before on a mini cooper s. I did it after the deal had been struck for £250.

This entitled me to a maximum of 4 tyres over 3 years with only 2 claims a year.

After 17 months ownership I have claimed 2 tyres at a value of £500!

Michael.

Skoda do.a monthly contract with servicing etc. Not sure of a one off though.

Mike

I await your comparison test of ride and handling with interest,and it will give those people wandering whether to specify the optional spare wheel food for thought.... :dull:

I will comment later on ride etc.

As for the spare wheel. This is the 2nd time I have used it. First time is well documented on here, but resulted in a 2 bent rims, one deflating the tyre. No puncture.

I would love to wear out a tyre........Elsie has only done 3600 miles and the spaare has been used twice. I must say that it is easier to get the spare out where I keep it now. Not under the floor any more.

Mike

Oh no Mike! Again! Grrr.

I can't wait to put my Spitzbergs back on! My weedy black winters just don't look right to me. And since I had the Spitzbergs on for 500 miles before the swap I know how much quieter they are AND how much more grip they give in the dry. Mine will be swapped on the 19th - the day before the Mogador Yeti adventure.

You know, i was just wondering about whether to get the winters off - longer term forecast down here doesn't suggest it will be 'winter tyre' cold, although it could get colder mid month. I use this site, BTW, much better info than Met Office site, for me. Farmers round here tend to use it:

My link

Put postcode in and get good idea of 16 day weather, and straightforward, meaningful text, plus useful maps.

As they say turning colder, I will leave mine on till end of next week, like TP. Mine are also bl***y expensive Contis, even more so, I think, in 225 V spec (all there was in 225 - five didn't leave that much change out of a grand) , so driving around in this mild weather, I am biting my nails about wearing off all that lovely soft siped rubber. I feel your pain, Mike.

But the benefit of all this changing around is, we can keep things rotated, like crops, and even up the wear - without having to be reminding ouselves all the time..

Roger

Edited by roguebrit

When I can find some more, I will buy 2 more tyres so I have a full size spare for winter.

Initial impressions are the tyres are quieter, but definitely more jiggly on rough surfaces.

Great on smooth surfaces.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper