Stiff accelerator pedal

Hi everyone,

I was driving to work this morning as usual and then out of nowhere a unmarked police car came screaming to the junction, everyone braked sharply and including myself, but when I came to put my foot on the gas the car didnt respond. For a second I thought my foot on the foot rest but then I realised that I did have the foot on the correct pedel but it had gone really stiff.

I pulled over switched off waited 5 mins and tried again but still the pedal was stiff. The rest of the way to work was spend pressing hard on the top bit of pedal to get the car going. I've checkd to see if the carpet is stuck but its fine and there is nothing else behind it. I've just gone out to it to see if it has gone back but it's still the same way. Would anyone know what would have caused it?

Many thanks

If the throttle pedal is stiff, don't put too much pressure on it, you stand a good chance of breaking the mechanism - particularly the hinge.

There could be a small stone or similar right down the back of the pedal, you need to get right round the back with a torch - and a mirror if necessary - and have a thorough look round the entire mechanism.

Grit and stones are the biggest weakness of floor mounted pedals, they have been known to break when pressed due to jammed stones in them.

Just been out with the site manager with a torch and had a good look at the back and there were a few small stones gathered at the base brushed them all out and the pedal is all ok. Thanks for that. Will have to keep it tidy from now one.

csoccb

Just been out with the site manager with a torch and had a good look at the back and there were a few small stones gathered at the base brushed them all out and the pedal is all ok. Thanks for that. Will have to keep it tidy from now one.

csoccb

Glad you've got it sorted. emoticon-0148-yes.gif