New gear stick top for 4x4

The Plumber

Noticed in the parts 'book' that a new gear stick top had been introduced last November but until now I'd not seen it. Personally an improvement to the plain chome finished plastic thing fitted to my last SM.

Apologies it's a bit small but the largest I could save it off the SUK site.

For a better image (until she's sold) try;

My link

TP

Edited by The Plumber

TP just click on the magnifying glass at the bottom right of the thumbnails and a HUGE picture opens!

gearlever.jpg

I think it looks much clasier and less scratch prone than the old chrome one.

TP just click on the magnifying glass at the bottom right of the thumbnails and a HUGE picture opens!

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8536/gearlever.jpg

+1

And not just because I have it in my Yeti ;). I saw and tried the old one in demo Yeti when I went for test ride. It doesn't just look nicer it feels better when you hold it.

Hi Johann,

thanks for that but what magnifying glass; nothing obvious from my computer view, all I appear to have is save or close :wonder: Did try saving the magnified image of the SUK site but it wouldn't have it.

Regards,

TP

Hi Johann,

thanks for that but what magnifying glass; nothing obvious from my computer view, all I appear to have is save or close :wonder: Did try saving the magnified image of the SUK site but it wouldn't have it.

Regards,

TP

This is the magnifying glass (in the middle of the screengrab):

picture1iv.jpg

Strangly I have saved images from the SUK Used locator before but as you say they have changed something and it did not want to "save as". So I did a screengrab and then cropped it.

I don't dislike the new one, but I think I still prefer the chrome, it's more distinctive. The new one is more bland/ordinary.

I am amazed, as always, TP, by your extraordinary vigilence in picking such things up and telling us about them! You, and Johann - and a few others - should be called the 'Yeti Police'. It's all most appreciated, of course.

I like the new one too - I dislike chromey things as a rule. All my Golfs had a large chrome surround to the auto knob that just attracted scratches and looked tacky, to me. I like it saying '4 x 4' on it, as well. That said, it's of little use to me as I have the DSG knob - a very plain affair, I think, and that's OK with me too.

I am amazed, as always, TP, by your extraordinary vigilence in picking such things up and telling us about them! You, and Johann - and a few others - should be called the 'Yeti Police'. It's all most appreciated, of course.

I like the new one too - I dislike chromey things as a rule. All my Golfs had a large chrome surround to the auto knob that just attracted scratches and looked tacky, to me. I like it saying '4 x 4' on it, as well. That said, it's of little use to me as I have the DSG knob - a very plain affair, I think, and that's OK with me too.

I did not think the DSG knob was a plain affair - does it have a chrome insert a la Octavia ?

I did not think the DSG knob was a plain affair - does it have a chrome insert a la Octavia ?

THe DSG lever has a fair bit of chrome too:

dsgba.jpg

THe DSG lever has a fair bit of chrome too:

dsgba.jpg

Thanks for that, as I thought, same as the Octy.

Thought for a moment, when plain was mentioned, it was like the Fabia's

Edited by Bassa

Ha ha - yes - I guess you're right, its not that plain on the top. I guess I was thinking more of the acres of chrome that surrounded the knob, all that black base part - which was chrome on my two DSG Golfs and very prone to getting scratched, I noticed.

is there a part no.?

Had a look at the parts book and there's more than one to choose from :S so I wouldn't want to give you the wrong number for your particular car :no: However I also noted a badge repair kit so it might be possible to just change the badge rather than the whole gear top :wonder:

Probably best to speak to your local dealer to get the correct part.

Regards,

TP