service plan (good or Bad idea)

jekyll

just wondered what the opinion was on taking out a fixed price service plan on a yeti 1.2SE?

Thoughts appreciated

On a TSI I would say yes. The TSIs do less than 20K between services so if you time it right you get 2 services for £299 (inc VAT) and that is a good deal when average services are £200-£250. Plus we got £100 worth of Skoda accessories, fantastic deal as far as I can see. May not work on a diesel I suppose with their longer intervals but good on TSIs I think.

On a TSI I would say yes. The TSIs do less than 20K between services so if you time it right you get 2 services for £299 (inc VAT) and that is a good deal when average services are £200-£250. Plus we got £100 worth of Skoda accessories, fantastic deal as far as I can see. May not work on a diesel I suppose with their longer intervals but good on TSIs I think.

Is that offer still current as no mention of it on Skoda UK site??...Refers you to dealer.

Is it available across all dealerships??

Seems a good deal if you can use the £100 accessories offer otherwise not quite so good.

Dealer price for first service quoted about £90, so £209 allowance for 2nd.

One problem... I recall is that it is not refundable in any way if you change or write off your car. Not sure if it is transferable.

Was not told of the £100 accessories offer when sold the car, so do only certain dealers offer this deal?

I am not sure if you can select the type of service (fixed/variable)?? ..which could alter the

economics.

If it is variable only on a 2 year plan you are likely to get one service if you do low mileage.. say less than 8000 per annum.

It's provided by Skoda Finance so it's likely to be a plan that

minimises their costs.

Edited by kibby

I am sure that other threads have explored this and concluded that these were not really worth the bother, particularly on vatiable servicing.

BTW the diesels seem little different to the petrols in terms of mileage between services. It all comes down to whether you can squeeze in two services within the first 2 years as my understanding is that is the limit for these plans.

I don't know where you can get the first service for £90 - the oil and filters alone will probably cost that much. If you can and it includes the full servicing requirement then I'd go for it. My dealer is quoting about £180 - £190 and I think that is quite reasonable.

It is definitely worth phoning around for service prices. In the past I have been quoted more than £400 by some dealers where I have eventually ended up paying half that on my old Octavia. All the quotes being from franchised dealers. The cheapest has ended up selling me a new car!!

I am sure that other threads have explored this and concluded that these were not really worth the bother, particularly on vatiable servicing.

BTW the diesels seem little different to the petrols in terms of mileage between services. It all comes down to whether you can squeeze in two services within the first 2 years as my understanding is that is the limit for these plans.

I don't know where you can get the first service for £90 - the oil and filters alone will probably cost that much. If you can and it includes the full servicing requirement then I'd go for it. My dealer is quoting about £180 - £190 and I think that is quite reasonable.

It is definitely worth phoning around for service prices. In the past I have been quoted more than £400 by some dealers where I have eventually ended up paying half that on my old Octavia. All the quotes being from franchised dealers. The cheapest has ended up selling me a new car!!

My around £90 figure for a first petrol service is from a official Skoda dealer so it can be done.

My around £90 figure for a first petrol service is from a official Skoda dealer so it can be done.

That sounds pretty good. I guess (hope?) that my higher quote is because the diesel needs more doing to it.

Yep, same here, local Darlingtons group Skoda dealer - full first service on my 1.8tsi for £90! :-)

Is that offer still current as no mention of it on Skoda UK site??...Refers you to dealer.

Is it available across all dealerships??

Seems a good deal if you can use the £100 accessories offer otherwise not quite so good.

Dealer price for first service quoted about £90, so £209 allowance for 2nd.

One problem... I recall is that it is not refundable in any way if you change or write off your car. Not sure if it is transferable.

Was not told of the £100 accessories offer when sold the car, so do only certain dealers offer this deal?

I am not sure if you can select the type of service (fixed/variable)?? ..which could alter the

economics.

If it is variable only on a 2 year plan you are likely to get one service if you do low mileage.. say less than 8000 per annum.

It's provided by Skoda Finance so it's likely to be a plan that

minimises their costs.

We do about 30K miles a year on each of our 3 Octavias. Service is around £200 for minors and £240 for major but no including cam belt etc at the 60K mark. If you do it properly ie fully inspection, pollen filters as well as the oil filter and oil, which if the proper oil (VW 504 or 507) and filter is used alone costs about £80.

Think the deal was due to end Dec 10 so we went for it on the TSI VRS which has 16K on it at the time and is due to go in on Wednesday. The 1.9D is going in the following day for its 100K service when it will be changed from Fixed to Variable. Service is about £30 more but clearly worth it but then it will be due for the 120K cam belt change but may have put it in against a Monte Carlo by then I am guessing unless they start doing deals on the Yeti.