auto lights, rain sensor and auto rear wiper

Hi

I have got a Superb Estate Elegance and the auto lights don't seem to be behaving as described in the manual. The lights will only come on if the wiper switch is in position 2 i.e. not using the rain sensor. If you rely on the rain sensor the lights never come on, even when the wipers are running all the time because it's heavy rain. Similarly the auto back wiper doesn't kick in unless the wiper switch is in position 2. The manual suggests that the auto lights should function when the wipers are used with the rain sensor - they certainly have on other cars I've owned (not Skodas). I've checked all the available Set-up parameters and nothing seems amiss. Is this something buried deep inside the VAGCOM s/ware?

The auto lights will come on for any of these three reasons:

If the car is travelling above a certain speed for more than 10 seconds - I think it might be 120km/h

If the wipers run continuously for more than 10 seconds - don't quote me on the time, not 100% sure. This is irrespective of whether they are on auto or slow/fast manual

If it is dark!

From my memories of rummaging around in the vCDS software, I have seen certain options that can trigger the lights - 'Autobahn' mode for example (see above).

I've never had to set these from new but someone might have botched some coding at some stage.

• 5 months later...

The auto lights will come on for any of these three reasons:

If the car is travelling above a certain speed for more than 10 seconds - I think it might be 120km/h

If the wipers run continuously for more than 10 seconds - don't quote me on the time, not 100% sure. This is irrespective of whether they are on auto or slow/fast manual

If it is dark!

From my memories of rummaging around in the vCDS software, I have seen certain options that can trigger the lights - 'Autobahn' mode for example (see above).

I've never had to set these from new but someone might have botched some coding at some stage.

The auto lights and auto wipers both use the same sensor on the screen, if neither are working as intended I would suspect a faulty sensor on the windscreen.

The rear wiper will only kick in if the wiper switch is in position 2, its in the book. The auto rear wiper function can also be disabled in maxidot.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have auto wipers. I do have auto lights, but tend not to use them. Left the switch in auto position one day and was surprised when the headlamp warning lamp appeared on the dash while travelling on the motorway. I must have exceeded the logic rule in the auto lamp setting. Also had lamps come on under a city centre bridge (small tunnel) and as they take a long time to turn off I usually don't use them.

BUT - why oh why does my rear wiper sometimes, but not always, make a double sweep when I turn on the ignition (KESSY). Thought I'd left the switch on first time, but no, it can happen any day. But not every time. Answers on a postcard please.

I only use the lights to Auto when I need them, ie dark or raining, the xenons don't like being switched on and off for short periods such as under bridges and tunnels.

Phil.

It has nothing to do with short periods of time, it's the on/off that kills the lights.

---

- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't that on in a tunnel off out of a tunnel then?