Skoda Fabia 1.9 tdi estate alloy wheels (55 plate)

Joe_Peddos

Have been having to top the air up in the 2 rear tyres about once a week. Took it to garage who removed tyres and told me the glaze inside was badly corroded causing air to leak out

Have had all the wheels acid dipped, corrosion removed, re-powdered and glazed problem solved but cost £250 to fix but now look mint on the car and no air leaks. Anyone had similar problems or have I just been unlucky Joe

mines 06 vrs, alloys beginning to bubble on outside just been sent away for a refurb. as above common on all cars ive been told its many things that cause it, wheel cleaner acid when you clean them, brake dust and sometimes the chemicals they put on tires when they are made can react with the wheel.

Alloy wheel finish is crap on my 2005 Fabia VRS.

Started degrading blistering/bubbling under 18 months old, with centre wheel badges after 12 months.emoticon-0149-no.gif

However my (very) old Renault 9 TSE, had the same problem with alloy wheels blistering on inner tyre seal edge,

so had tyre removed hard wired brushed area and tyre fella used some of his sealer, and cured it for some years after.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

The advice I got from the guy who refurbished the wheels was to put on loads of wax polish which makes it easier to wash the rims and NEVER use an acid based cleaner. He had heard of dodgy car wash firms who use neat acid to clean the rims quickly and one of the guys in the pub had used some product on his car that melted the balancing weights. So home washing from now on as I hope to trade the car in later this year for the 1.6/1.9 diesel Fabia car and get the cruise control fitted. The estate had it already fitted it helps me keep to the 30 limit and I average 45 mpg round town and much better on a longer run.

Have been having to top the air up in the 2 rear tyres about once a week. Took it to garage who removed tyres and told me the glaze inside was badly corroded causing air to leak out

Have had all the wheels acid dipped, corrosion removed, re-powdered and glazed problem solved but cost £250 to fix but now look mint on the car and no air leaks. Anyone had similar problems or have I just been unlucky Joe

I have had no problems on my 2004 estate, loses about 1-2 lbs/psi every 4 weeks. that is on each tyre.