Help me decide

Mr Bill

Been looking at the Yeti - it ticks all the boxes for what I want - including price.

I'm thinking of getting the 2.0 2WD TDI Elegance. At the dealership they only had a 1.2 Elegance for test drives - so i'm not really able to compare the diesel. I found the 1.2 to be very nippy indeed - more so than my wifes 1.4 Fabia! But the fuel economy on the 1.2 doesn't match the diesels.

With an expanding family i'm wanting a large-ish car of this type - but also want fuel economy - hence my interest in the Diesels. I looked at the Greenline model which is a 1.6 - it seems nice, but i'm worried that this engine cut-out would really annoy me - anyone have any experience with it? The brochure says it only cuts out when the car is not in gear and the clutch is not depressed. Is this really the case? Also - the spare tyre option does not seem to be available on the Greenline - why on earth not? I'm not terribly comfortable driving without a spare.

Is there any advantage to 4WD unless i'm going off road? I suppose it might help when the next snow-storm comes - but other than that - are there any disadvantages to the 2WD?

If I do decide to go for this vehicle - is there any advice experienced buyers can give on negotiating a good price with the dealership - or some added extras at no extra cost?

With regards to extras, the only ones which seem possibly interesting are the Park Assist and the space-saver tyre. I've read the FAQ here with regards to the park assist - it sounds useful for such a large vehicle (well, larger than I am accustomed to) - but it also strikes me as something that can go wrong and will be expensive to fix. Any comments on that?

Multi-function steering wheel - not sure about that either. I don't need to control the radio from my steering wheel - but having bluetooth mobile support would be a nice feature. Do I need this to get this feature?

The Columbus SATNAV sounds a bit expensive to me. Can get a TomTom with a very rich featureset for much less - but of course it is not integrated into the car. What comes with the Elegance as standard - is it the touch-screen radio I saw in the demo model? That one had a cd-slot at the top, and and SD card slot too.

Electric seats - worth it? Dunno. Another thing to go wrong?

I've owned my current car from new for 15 years (a VW) - and I must say the build quality has been very good over this time - but it lacked the gizmos that more modern cars seem to have. Do you think a Yeti would last 15 years in a similar fashion?

I may have more questions as I do my research. The only other cars similar to this which seem interesting are the VW Tiguan and the Honda CRV - but they are much more expensive for the same spec.

Welcome Mr Bill

I have a top of the range elegance with most bells, whistles and the kitchen sink. It really does depend on what you want. What is your annual mileage, what tyre of journeys do you do will determine what the best engine will be for you - high mileage & long journeys then diesel. average to high mileage and short journeys then a petrol would do. My diesel will do about 20mpg around town on short, sub 5 mile journeys, but will scrape past the 42 mark on a longer journey on a motorway.

The Yeti does not do high speed cruising economically, but if the speed is kept to 60mph max. Most will struggle to get much over 40-45 at motorway speeds. The problem in that the Yeti is fantastic for long distances, very comfortable indeed.

The elegance comes with the Bolero radio as standard as per the brochure. Tom Tom is much cheaper and some swear by them. I have a Columbus and was happy to pay the factory to install it. It integrates so well into the car.

The electric seat appears to give users a slightly better driving position as it can move the seat base front and back separately.

I love the park assist, use it lots.

Winter tyres are much cheaper than a 4x4 and almost as good on road.

As for discounts, speak to James at Allams Skoda. Many people on the forum have bought from him from all over the country.

Mike

You can disable the stop/start feature on the Greenline. It actually isn't intrusive or irritating, I've had it on a Fabia Greenline and I didn't bother turning it off like I thought I would.

There are advantages to four-wheel-drive, particularly if you intend to tow anything, or even just pulling out of a junction onto a busy road if there is a bit of gravel around a 2WD may just suffer wheelspin and not go as quickly off the mark as a 4WD equipped Yeti, and obviously it is very useful when the weather gets poor. Plus on the 2.0TDi 4x4 110BHP you do gain more torque and a sixth gear again very useful having an extra ratio if you live in a hilly area or intend to tow.

Multi-function steering wheel in standard on most Yetis and the bluetooth feature is standard on Elegance, but an option on others and yes it is useful.

The Columbus satnav is brilliant, but it isn't a cheap option so it's only worth buying if you are going to make good use of it. The maps work all through Europe and now you can search the full 7 digit postcode.

Electric drivers seat is good if there is more than 1 driver and it also gives you better adjustment.

Is it an S/SE/Elegance you're after?

I've got an Elegance 2.0TDi 110bhp 4x4 you can take a look at if you'd like to see the exact model.

Welcome, too. Not much to add as a much newer Yeti owner and much less of an expert than Rockhopper. However, I have just (literally) coupled my phone with the Bluetooth and I think it will be extremely useful. I love the Columbus (had it in my previous Octavia Scout) - much better to put all your music on its hard disk than to mess around with CDs (the sound quality is excellent) - I have just put 17 CDs on, and have used up only about one twentieth of its capacity! I too have park assist - don't know how often I'll use it, but with a stiff neck I find twisting to look over shoulders quite difficult and so it will be good to have the car do it for me. I'm sure systems like this do go wrong, but this has been around for a while now.

I went for 4x4, living in the depths of the Yorkshire Dales, but probably not necessary everywhere. Although I have only had a Yeti for two days (after a 7 month wait), I am sure you would love one.

Hi and welcome,

By your comments I'd opt for a GreenLine II

With the greenline there is a deactivation button for the stopstart but I think you may find you will get used to it quickly and not notice it's happening. Also you can buy the spare kit from the dealer but obviously it's more expensive. Regard Park Assist as I do very little street parking I left it off but I have subsequently added front park sensors to my order. Would have liked the electric seat as you get a much finer range of adjustment but the cost was prohibitive in my view anyway and likewise I will stick with my Garmin for a Nav aide.

Would also recommend James at Allams for a quote.

Hope that's of help,

TP

Welcome to the forum. A more complete all round car than the Yeti will be hard to find - even Clarkson says so!

In my view the optimum model spec is a 2,0 TDI 2WD SE. Enough poke for motorways and to tow something, decent spec and with winter tyres nothing will stop you should we get snow again. But believe me the kit you get for your £2000 or so extra to go for Elegance spec is well worth it. Especially the cornering Bi-Xenon lights. Apart from the spare wheel and Park Assist you mention there is very little to add to an Elegance Yeti. The heated screen is useful - but only if you drive it daily to work in the winter (I don't). Maybe think of the Tyre Pressure monitor too? It is fairly cheap and will be mandatory equipment on all cars sold in the EU soon.

Have a look at this link as well:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/160051-if-you-are-about-to-order-a-yeti-things-to-think-about/

As to dealer advice. Speak to James at Allams or look at www.drivethedeal.com. Lots of us on here bought from them without any problems.

Thanks all for the informative replies!

Yes, i'm looking at the Elegance - the 2.0 TDI 2WD - wife is keen on leather seats. Those Xenon lights also sound handy. If I read correctly - they can be set for continental use?

My use of the vehicle will be commuting - 50 miles a day on the motorway (though to be fair, I'd hardly be going over 60 - LOL!) and family outings - and the odd trip to the continent.

I'm a bit surprised that people are only seeing 40-45mpg - the brochure says from about 50-60 for the diesel ones (and 67 for the Greenline). Why the discrepancy?

I'm also surprised that you can switch the start/stop on the Greenline off. My dealer was quite emphatic that it could not be done - not even with a back-street reprogramming of the ECU :-)

One other thing i've read - that the 2.0 TDI has a 5 speed gearbox, but all other models have a 6 speed? Is this true - and does it make any difference?

My current car is a VW Golf MK3 GTi. Though not as nippy as it used to be (15 years old) - it certainly still holds its own on the road! I'm wondering if i'm going to miss the power and road holding. Decisions, Decisions!

I'll be sure to speak to Allams when I'm ready for a quote.

Speaking of which - what are servicing costs like? Are there service plans available - and what are the service intervals.

I think it horses for courses really. I went for a TDi 140 4x4 SE and have had it for almost a year. Proved to be rubbish in winter on standard tyres so now on 16in steels with Wintrac Extremes which will stay on until April.The Elegance spec, I think is value for money but since mine is very much a working car couldnt really justify the extra cost. For sat nav I just use a Tom Tom XXl which just cost £100 and something and works spot on all over Europe and you can swop it over to any car your using. Cant see the point of seriously overpriced built in sat navs.Decide what you want for you and go for it. Its a great car.

The GreenLine definatly has a button to turn of stop start. The following is taken from Skoda Auto's international catalogue;

"The Start-Stop system automatically switches off

the engine, for example while waiting at the traff ic lights

or when moving slowly in a queue of cars. By pressing

the clutch pedal the engine automatically restarts.

The driver can deactivate the Start-Stop system with

a button located on the central console."

My link

My link

The 2.0TDI 2wd is reasonable economical by all accounts but not to the quoted figures (very few cars are) and is 5 speed, as is the GreenLine II. Think the 40-45 figure you quote maybe 4x4; used to get these figures from my previous 140 diesel Yeti. The 2wd is near the 50 mark (depending on type of driving).

Servicing cost vary depending where you live, I know my local dealer is one of the most expensive. There is a thread on the Yeti forum on servicing cost. Intervals are set on the variable program, so depending on usage up to 2 years or around 18,000 miles whichever comes first. There are some service plans available but I would advise speaking to possible James at Allams as schemes come and go.

Regard the headlights then yes they have a continental setting (via Maxidot computer) but you loose the cornering function while in that mode.

Regards,

TP

I have the 2.0 CR TDi SE 2WD, covered 7500 miles so far. I've found changing the summer tyres to winter's has made all the difference in the winter months in terms of grip, and pulling away. So food for thought if you are thinking of a 4x4 version.

Averaging 46 - 47mpg, the missus driving she gets 49mpg-50. The average mpg rising even more in the warmer weather.

I'm surprised by the poor fuel consumption cited by some. I'm getting about 40mpg on my 18 mile commute to work, from my CR170 TDI on a mixture of country roads and the last 5 miles in the city. The country roads are steep climbs over Pennine hills, and that's where the damage is done to the overall figure. When I stay on flatter roads, and back and forth on the M62, I'm getting 45+ mpg. That's checking the actual fuel consumption; maxidot is telling me 52mpg!

I wouldn't bother with the Columbus. I've mounted my 'top of the range' Tom Tom (£300 but still a lot less than Columbus) on a proclip on the A pillar (at my fingertips with no stretching), hard wired into the fusebox. I'm no diy electrician, but found a firm who came out and did it for me, wiring all tidily tucked away. No faffing with sticking the mount to the windscreen or plugging a lead into the 12v socket.

Greenline is the way to go.The 1.6 diesel is a fantastic engine,Audi use it in their A1 model.

Same torque as the 2.0 110,better fuel economy,lower road tax and worth more when come to selling I would think.

Possible long wait for delivery.

How many miles do you cover in a year?. If its small then I dont reckon, when you do the figures that paying extra for all this greenline stuff makes financial sense. My 2.0 tdi is now coming up to 28000 miles and average consumption of 42mpg which I think in the real world is pretty good but then again I do little stop and start city driving so perhaps not the real world for most of you guys.

"One other thing i've read - that the 2.0 TDI has a 5 speed gearbox, but all other models have a 6 speed? Is this true - and does it make any difference?

My current car is a VW Golf MK3 GTi. Though not as nippy as it used to be (15 years old) - it certainly still holds its own on the road! I'm wondering if i'm going to miss the power and road holding. Decisions, Decisions!"

The 2.0 TDI has a 6 speed box (or at least the CR140/CR170 4x4 both have). I had a Golf Mk3 ... the VR6. That had 174bhp, my Yeti has 170bhp, but a lot more torque. It is surprisingly quick (allegedly 8.1 secs 0-60, as opposed to the VR6 7.4)

Edited by Bobdog

The GreenLine definatly has a button to turn of stop start. The following is taken from Skoda Auto's international catalogue;

And here is the picture proof of the "off" button which I took at the Paris Motor Show:

59656_434011546323_671901323_5608941_1299294_n.jpg

The Greenline is a nice model, if you are considering a diesel 2WD Yeti the 1.6CR TDi makes an awful lot of sense, but obviously if you fancy/need 4WD then you'll have to step-up to the 2.0TDi engine.

Does anyone here have a Greenline Yeti in the UK that confirm that they have the switch which they can turn off the stop/start feature?

I'm wondering if this is maybe a continental option only in the Greenline.

Does anyone here have a Greenline Yeti in the UK that confirm that they have the switch which they can turn off the stop/start feature?

I'm wondering if this is maybe a continental option only in the Greenline.

I haven't seen a Greenline Yeti and neither will however told you that it doesn't come with this. However I have had a Fabia and an Octavia Greenline and both of those comes with the option to disable the stop/start feature. All Greenline models come with stop/start and you have the option to disable this if required.

I went into my local dealer with the intention of looking at a Yeti (trying to downsize from a Toyota Verso). I have ended up ordering a Roomster. Why? I could not fit three child seats in the back of a Yeti but they did fit in the Roomster. So if you ever need to travel with three children under the age of 12 in the back the Yeti might not fit the bill. The only difference I could see was the fact that in the Roomster the outer seats could be moved in front or behind the centre seat, in the Yeti you cannot do this (outer seats are level or behind the centre seat) and the huge seat belt clip for the centre belt stopped a booster seat sitting in the middle position. You also have the VAT saving with the Roomster and not with the Yeti.