superb...hmmm

hi there im new to this,

but after owning a vw passat b5.5,with little to complain about i thought i'd get the bigger and better superb(stop laughing, they are superb aren't they) even though this seems like a job for the trade descriptions act!

well where do you start with such wonderful vehicle, the advert said no faults,drives superb, hmmm i'll stop there , which is exactly what the car did, it just stopped working!

no interior front courtesy lights , just annoying!

no electric drivers seat (although the waffle iron they build into the seat base strangely works fine)

no memory to the drivers seat.... Alzheimer's !

and now after not using it since i bought it, due to the fact that the pygmy who sold it to me with the seat touching the windscreen, i cant actually get in and drive it, unless i change gear with door open !the digital dot matrix has gone bandit and is just as useless as the rest of it.

what they at skoda/ borat industries have to understand is that we have expectations, when we buy a car we want it to work or when it doesn't, a trip the arches to see phil and grant where they kick and shout at it and jobs a gooden! not some drawn out vehicular autopsy with the cars innards strewn across the workshop connected to some form of electronic life support and a tech looking dazed!

this type of air inlet under the bonnet is the same on the passat and other cars, including the uber expensive mercedes benz, shame that the fatherland didnt adopt this technical approach and build their u boats the same way!

any suggs????

Looks like your superb has a liking for water just like the u boat did!! Could well be water ingress issues on the passenger side, what with the control module becoming in contact with water.I suggest passenger carpet lifted up and wiring loom exposed and have a look at the corroded joints that go into the box. Lift bonnet up and remove battery, remove rubber bungs and clear out any debris that retains water. Not an easy fix, but it is a very well documented problem and gives the owner all sorts of grief, before everything comes back to life again after spending a good few hrs rectifying the problem. Best of luck :thumbup:

As Nutty says, it looks like a new convenience unit job, your first investigate should be to remove the wiper panel and check for water in the bulkhead, and second feel for wet carpets in the passenger side both back and front, convenience unit is under the pass seat under the air vent, that is what normally causes your little shop of horror's, if it is wet, get it all dried out and clean all connections at the same time, some electrical spray water dispellent should be your tool of choice, and then with a cloth get it all bone dry, you may get away with it, but expect a new unit to be required, for now read the manual and you may find a way to wind the seat back so you can at least get in it yer screenlicker :D

Edited by Supurbia

Looks like your superb has a liking for water just like the u boat did!! Could well be water ingress issues on the passenger side, what with the control module becoming in contact with water.I suggest passenger carpet lifted up and wiring loom exposed and have a look at the corroded joints that go into the box. Lift bonnet up and remove battery, remove rubber bungs and clear out any debris that retains water. Not an easy fix, but it is a very well documented problem and gives the owner all sorts of grief, before everything comes back to life again after spending a good few hrs rectifying the problem. Best of luck :thumbup:

hi there, im going to try and look at this as a soon as the weather warms a bit ,but ive noticed the windows are getting steamed up a bit but carpet is dry under the mats?, so i assume the the underlay is soaking then? i will drop into vw dealer and get the upgraded seal kit and give it a go, do you think this has caused the dot matrix to go insane?

or do you know of similar faults?, and my passat , i checked its history before i owned it and low and behold its had a wiring job and a seal under the scuttle ect ect, but thats up 4sale at moment, kind of wished i hadnt bought the skoda as i hadnt had an issue with the vw.( touch wood)

are there any other nasties on the superb, its a 05 elegonce manual 1.9 130, and done 124k, presumably on the back of a recovery truck!

As an ex B5.5 owner I would of thought you would of been well aware of the water ingress issue both cars suffer with?

nah, i assumed that ze germans built good cars!

to date no problems with the passat but i did check the history and it did have this mod done and wiring issues before i owned it.makes you wonder what fritz was on the day they dreamed up this opening! lol

i never really looked at forums before i just bought a car cos it looked ok! but thats all changed now,thanks to all that have posted the info, i'll be looking at the wiring soon and reporting the findings.

LHD B5.5s are nowhere near as susceptible to the water ingress problems we see over here. The scuttle is a different pressing.

VAG, in their usual quest to provide good service to their customers, obviously made a business based decision to do nothing - reworking a few cars under warranty being a cheaper option. They obviously don't give a toss for the poor sods with wet cars out of warranty.

Really nice people.

rotodiesel.

Pity there wasnt enough info on the 2.0 tdi superb i bought at the time...knowing what i know now, i would have gone for an elegance spec 1.9tdi superb...sigh

Steaming windows is normal, if the carpet is dry I think you have other issues, maybe the ecu, and possibly just a fuse/relay, if it's dry it ain't the CU unit, although a carpet lift might show corroded connections from the last repair.

Steaming windows is normal, if the carpet is dry I think you have other issues, maybe the ecu, and possibly just a fuse/relay, if it's dry it ain't the CU unit, although a carpet lift might show corroded connections from the last repair.

does anyone know what fuses im looking at to check or if there are others hiding and where are the relays, can you probe with a test light on a 05 car or is it can bus and need to use a test meter, before i possibly do any damage?

Pity there wasnt enough info on the 2.0 tdi superb i bought at the time...knowing what i know now, i would have gone for an elegance spec 1.9tdi superb...sigh

on a different topic has anyone put on one of those super chips and what type and what were the results?

the sales folk say wondrous things but i here customers saying not to bother didnt notice difference apart from higher fuel useage