3D Maps on Columbus

Hi

On my Columbus i can choose 3D maps as a way of viewing my route (So i have 3 different kind of views).

Iv'e seen it in action on a Japanese RNS 510 and it looks amazing.

Does it require special maps of some sort? When i select it, it just shows the normal slightly escalated map.?

Link here: http://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/7911-Japanese-RNS-510

Edited by tomcatdk

Japanese navigation intelligence/data has years ahead of european stuff, they have been using GPS since around 1989/1990 and the maps have been in place since then giving them a long time to expand on these things. The 3D maps on the US/EU RNS510 is just like a bird's eye view of the road ahead. I imagine the JDM RNS510 gives things like terrain and buildings which is mega cool. It may even be updated on the fly like Nissan's Carwings telematics system.

Japanese navigation intelligence/data has years ahead of european stuff, they have been using GPS since around 1989/1990 and the maps have been in place since then giving them a long time to expand on these things. The 3D maps on the US/EU RNS510 is just like a bird's eye view of the road ahead. I imagine the JDM RNS510 gives things like terrain and buildings which is mega cool. It may even be updated on the fly like Nissan's Carwings telematics system.

Why is it that the japanese is allways way ahead of us? :wonder:

The only thing we can export to them is old classic furnitures and no one seems to do anything about it.

We have to step up and get more advanced (FAST) so we can compete with those clever japanese.

It's not really about competition, it's more about market tastes. Also when maps are made for the EU they're made for several countries, Japan has the succinct advantage of being a relatively compact country with it's own border entities.

For instance their cars may come with a load of fake wood and fancy navigation with electronic toll collection and crazy detail maps but they don't get the new Climatronic system or the updated maxidot. Also cars there, especially imports are very expensive to cater for the burgeoning equipment!

*former JDM car owner/fanboi.

Birds eye eye would be correct. When I lived in Japan I would always be amazed at looking at my navi whilst being stuck on the freeways in Tokyo. I could match up the building on either side of the road by counting the number of floors of the building and fair enough the navi had the same number of windows in the building in the map! There were even companies that did advertising. For example, they would have their headquarters with the same billboard in the navi system! It really was futuristic.

But so was the price. These units cost around the AUS$3-4000 mark.