K&N air induction kit 57i

Hello all,

Just fitted K&N 57i air induction kit to my Octavia Vrs. I can't really tell the differnce in sound unless I hit the 5000 rev mark. Is that normal or should it be noticable in the lower ranges? Performance wise it feels a bit more responsive but apart from that no big difference.

Hello all,

Just fitted K&N 57i air induction kit to my Octavia Vrs. I can't really tell the differnce in sound unless I hit the 5000 rev mark. Is that normal or should it be noticable in the lower ranges? Performance wise it feels a bit more responsive but apart from that no big difference.

When you say 'just' do you mean hours or days? After I fitted my EVOMS it took a few miles for the software to adjust to the increase in air flow! I'm not sure about gains from the 57i kit, it's not really a proven one for the Tfsi lump, but the princple will be the same as mine so you should get reasonable bhp increases and a certain level of noise!

When you say 'just' do you mean hours or days? After I fitted my EVOMS it took a few miles for the software to adjust to the increase in air flow! I'm not sure about gains from the 57i kit, it's not really a proven one for the Tfsi lump, but the princple will be the same as mine so you should get reasonable bhp increases and a certain level of noise!

you say that, but the pipercross intake i was given lost me about 20hp from the stage 1 output with stock intake

if its a panel filter you have pretty much just wasted £45. Naff all gains with a panel filter. Fit a proper intake and you'll gain 10-15hp, but that'll cost you 200-300 for that pleasure

I fitted the proper intake. Cost me £109 but added £50 a year to my insurance.

I fitted the proper intake. Cost me £109 but added £50 a year to my insurance.

No offence mate, but if the full replacement intake only cost £109, then I wouldn't expect much in the way of gains. Mine was £180 delivered for complete V-Flow EVOMS intake, filter and replacement engine cover, which was silly cheap, but it was second hand, expect to pay £300-£400 for that system new!

On the subject of insurance, £50 increase for an intake is taking the pi55!!! I have just changed to Adrian Flux, cheaper than my previous insurer with all mod's declared. :thumbup:

I was looking at the 57i and I wouldnt expect it to be that loud, as it is still using the factory engine cover. I dont think there is much advantage with the 57i over the stock inlet. I would prob send it back and go for the typhoon intake system instead or refit the stock inlet, as it will be drawing in hot air from the engine bay. I wouldnt touch the Evoms because as nice as it is. It is very overpriced for what is essentially tubing and a filter. I know they saw a massive 44bhp increase on a K04 car on the rolling road and can flow air like no other, But I bet that extra power would translate into wheel spin and not be that much quicker on the road. If anything may be few tenths of a second.

Edited by 56OctyVRS

No offence mate, but if the full replacement intake only cost £109, then I wouldn't expect much in the way of gains. Mine was £180 delivered for complete V-Flow EVOMS intake, filter and replacement engine cover, which was silly cheap, but it was second hand, expect to pay £300-£400 for that system new!

On the subject of insurance, £50 increase for an intake is taking the pi55!!! I have just changed to Adrian Flux, cheaper than my previous insurer with all mod's declared. :thumbup:

I get what you mean now :)

I was looking at the 57i and I wouldnt expect it to be that loud, as it is still using the factory engine cover. I dont think there is much advantage with the 57i over the stock inlet. I would prob send it back and go for the typhoon intake system instead or refit the stock inlet, as it will be drawing in hot air from the engine bay. I wouldnt touch the Evoms because as nice as it is. It is very overpriced for what is essentially tubing and a filter. I know they saw a massive 44bhp increase on a K04 car on the rolling road and can flow air like no other, But I bet that extra power would translate into wheel spin and not be that much quicker on the road. If anything may be few tenths of a second.

As you say. it's using the factory engine cover. But it is positioned just behind the grill where there is plenty of cool air coming in so I'm not too concerned about the hot air.

Im intrigued as to how any gains will come when you are using the stock engine cover still as that is the main restiction.

This is what my intake looked like and gave bloody awesome gains. Very large free flowing filter, large pipework, internally lipped pipe work where it connects to the turbo to reduce air restiction and improve flow etc and enclose filter elements so that it only gets cold air

SDC10273.jpg

Edited by janner_Sy

Id imagine thats giving very very little gains at all. And £109 for what is practically just a filter element :o

That is what I thought. I was recommended it by people at work but they were on differnent cars/engines.

have the K57i fitted to my derv, it makes a huge difference, bum dyno says around 10HP, however the TDI airbox is a different design to the TFSI setup.

have the K57i fitted to my derv, it makes a huge difference, bum dyno says around 10HP, however the TDI airbox is a different design to the TFSI setup.

Indeed, the OE airbox is located in the engine cover, which is where the problem lies, this design is so restrictive, as seen in Sy's set up the engine cover is gone and is replaced with large bore piping that provides an unrestricted flow directly to the turbo. :thumbup:

The design has now been ditched on the Tsi engine which has the air filter seperate from the engine cover. Below is my EVOMS set up with replacement engine cover to keep thing OEMish

DSC01246.jpg