Spare key activated immobiliser = Dead car

I bought a second hand 2002 fabia this week on a 51 plate (UK). The car came with 2 keys but did not come with the plastic keyfob with various numbers on it and the previous owner didnt have it. It was all going fine untill I tried to start the car with the spare key. The immobiliser light now flashes and the car still will not start even with the remote key. I've read about the 4 digit code that needs to be entered to reset the immobiliser but the previous owner doesnt have this and nor does the dealer where the car was purchased. Is there any other method of finding this code or resetting the immobiliser so that I can use the key which was working fine before? I'm not bothered about coding the spare key for the car or anything I just need to be able to drive the car!

So far the only suggestion from the original dealer was to get it towed to my local dealer for them to sort out but frankly I cannot afford it.

Any help would be massively appreciated

Cheers

James

When did you buy the car? If you've only just bought it I think the supplying dealer should get it sorted out for you. They are obliged by law to supply a car fit for purpose, and a car with a spare key that renders it useless isn't exactly my idea of being fit for purpose!

A non authorised key will lead to the immobiliser not being released, but it should not affect the operation of an authorised key. You could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, but you will have to bear in mind that the radio might need a code, the clock will need resetting and any trip computer data will be lost.

Welcome to this forum.

When I bought my car I pointed out to the dealer he hadn't given me the plastic code tag. He said he didn't have it and it "doesn't matter - any Skoda dealer can give you the info" so ask a (proper) one...

And clearly the non-Skoda dealer who sold you the car should be sorting all this out. Try rejecting the car as unusable!

thanks for the responses guys,

It did seem strange that the original key didnt work again afterwards. I'll try disconnecting the battery for a bit and I do have a code for the radio so I guess nothing can go too badly wrong! I didnt buy the car from a dealer, it was a private sale otherwise I would definitely be telling them to sort it out. If the immobiliser has knackered itself then can anyone suggest a ballpark figure for how much this is going to cost me?

• 1 month later...

thanks for the responses guys,

It did seem strange that the original key didnt work again afterwards. I'll try disconnecting the battery for a bit and I do have a code for the radio so I guess nothing can go too badly wrong! I didnt buy the car from a dealer, it was a private sale otherwise I would definitely be telling them to sort it out. If the immobiliser has knackered itself then can anyone suggest a ballpark figure for how much this is going to cost me?

What happened? I've got the same problem.

You need someone with VAGTacho to get you your SKC code. Then use VAGCOM (VCDS) to code your key(s).

Look here for the nearest people with the required kit :-

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/74720-list-of-vag-com-diagnostic-system-vcds-owners/

If it is still not starting then diags need to be run in VAGCOM to try to identify the problem.

Edited by Fabby