Scout VCDS DRL Options

Could anyone with VCDS clarify what DRL options are available for a 2010 Scout without the LED DRLs fitted. I've seen various suggestions on other threads but I'm looking for something more definitive. Many thanks.

1) Dipped headlights, side lights, tail lights and number plate lights, on with the ignition (Scandinavian).

2) Dipped headlights only, on when handbrake off, off when handbrake on (North American).

3) Front foglights, at 70% power, on with ignition.

I'm very interested in option 3 for my Scout but am hoping for a set of step-by-step instructions I can give to my dealer as I'm 100% sure they won't know how to do it...

1) Dipped headlights, side lights, tail lights and number plate lights, on with the ignition (Scandinavian).

2) Dipped headlights only, on when handbrake off, off when handbrake on (North American).

I'm very interested in option 3 for my Scout but am hoping for a set of step-by-step instructions I can give to my dealer as I'm 100% sure they won't know how to do it...

Thanks for that silver1011. I also like the idea of 70% foglights, and share your concern re dealers understanding this. Anyone out there able to give more detail?

I tried to find someone near me but never got a response :'(

If using the front fogs was likely in any way to dazzle oncoming drivers I wouldn't do it, however the front fogs on the Scout seem pretty dim even at 92%, lowering their output to around 70% would I hope reduce them to a glow.

Technically as the lense is not marked up to show that they are suitable for use as DRL's/cornering fogs then I would be breaking the law. However assuming they worked the same as other DRL's (on when the lights are off) I'll take my chances :giggle:

Anyone near York with VCDS in need of some beer tokens? :D

• 5 years later...

Unfortunately ,there was no option to select in between Scandinavian,North America etc.Via VCDS to my Scout I'could only activate DRL's as per Scandinavian standart as well as to set a dipped as a permanent running light(PRL) dimmed to 40% among with front and rear side,number plate lights

On the facelift Scout there was a factory option to replace the front fog lights with LED DRL's, it will therefore be possible to set the front fogs as DRL's.

DRL.jpg

DRLs.jpg

It is likely it isn't as simple as a tick box in VCDS, it will no doubt require the long coding to be changed, but it will be possible.

Here is my 2008 pre-FL Scout with it's front foglights set as DRL's at reduced output...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/393973-daylight-running-lights-mot-query/

Picture%2034_zpsjwwj4e0o.jpg

Picture%2035_zpsgwrvswpn.jpg

Edited by silver1011

When I adjusted their brightness on mine in reality there were only two or three different actual levels of light output.

Despite being able to adjust the percentage in small increments most of them made no difference.

I left mine at 60% and having the wife follow me whilst I was driving another car they are still less bright than the non-LED DRL's on my Superb.

The pictures above show that they much less bright than full fog light power.

Thanks for the clarification, statements and examples ,folks :thumbup: Obviously in my case the best option would be to replace my stock fog's with Led's.Looking at the Silver's photos the car looks pretty nice with them. VCDS allows to activate only fogs as a separate DRL's if LED's were installed!

• 9 months later...

Bit of a thread revival but does anyone know if it's possible just to code a FL scout for front fogs as drls and then replace the fog light units with the LED day running lights as fitted as an option. Could this work?

47 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Bit of a thread revival but does anyone know if it's possible just to code a FL scout for front fogs as drls and then replace the fog light units with the LED day running lights as fitted as an option. Could this work?

Should be possible as they could be specified like that from the factory. 

I did wonder about the old bulb failure warning but perhaps that's not insurmountable. Looks like a bit of experimentation might be in order!