New Scout - Service Query?

Hi All

I'm new to Skoda but not VAG. Just picked up a 57 plate Scout TDI this weekend after a lot of looking.

It's great but I've just noticed the service book says that the first (recorded) service was performed at 26080 miles - at 3 years after registration!

This seems like a hell of a long time to me - and I know it was set up for long-life servicing in the first instance. Personally, I prefer the fixed interval stuff which I do on my A4 1.9 TDI PD.

In addition, it turned out that the car had a detachable tow-bar fitted, which wasn't visible in the photos. Possibly risky, I know, but we bought the car from a Skoda dealer 230 miles away via our local dealer. So it comes with the year's warranty and so forth and we really wanted this model of car and had looked for one for a long time.

Anyway - a few questions:

1. Would any one be concerned about the tow bar? I don't know what it's towed although the dealer said it was a demonstrator (pros and cons I know) which was specced up, hence the detachable bar with twin electrics. Are these cars good at towing? My alternative car was a Subaru Outback and I was advised that their gearboxes aren't really up to it.

2. Surely 26000 is excessive for long life servicing? And how about 3 years? I am going to ring the dealer in the morning and ask if there's a record of other services on the Skoda system - I'm sure it would have been Skoda serviced. Is that a feasible interval on a diesel engine with LL servicing?

3. Anything I should do in view of the long interval? It was serviced (not on long life) two months ago by Skoda elsewhere. I presume that it has the 507.00 oil in because it has a DPF so the oil is the same whichever type of servicing is required, isn't it?

4. What is the recommended cambelt change on this car? The service booklet says 150000km - but surely that's out of date now? My Audi wants 60000 miles and I thought new Passat's needed 4 years or 60000 miles.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for any help

1 - If the doesn't look or feel tired, I wouldn't worry too much. How does the ball itself look? Still freshly painted without a scratch on it? (That'll be a good clue as to how much it's been used). With the rise of tow ball mounted bike racks, a towbar isn't always a sign of having towed anything of real weight at all.

2 - For my sins driving on "variable" I can't get past 12,000 miles before it asks for a service (very mixed Rural driving), though have generally been getting them done every 15,000 without ill effect. Maybe it was owned by a heavy motorway user, which can strectch the interval considerably as the engine is operating at a constant load most of the time?

3 - If it's just had an oil change service, etc, not much can be done, except not leave it so long next time! What mileage is it on? The Haldex oil is supposed to get changed every 40,000 miles.

4 - I've just had the cam belt done on mine at 80,000 miles as recommended by the dealer (and a few months before the 4 year limit, which is the other "qualifier" for it needing done, irrespective of mileage).

Hope this helps put your mind at rest. Don't worry about it being an ex-demonstrator. Mine was and it continues to be great.

Niall

1. Would any one be concerned about the tow bar? I don't know what it's towed although the dealer said it was a demonstrator (pros and cons I know) which was specced up, hence the detachable bar with twin electrics. Are these cars good at towing? My alternative car was a Subaru Outback and I was advised that their gearboxes aren't really up to it.

1 - If the doesn't look or feel tired, I wouldn't worry too much. How does the ball itself look? Still freshly painted without a scratch on it? (That'll be a good clue as to how much it's been used). With the rise of tow ball mounted bike racks, a towbar isn't always a sign of having towed anything of real weight at all.

Did you purchase it from the dealer, or was it sold to the previous owner as an ex-demo model? Personally I've never seen an demo model with twin electrics fitted, as that implies caravan towing, not just a trailer or bike rack etc. And I can't see a dealers demo car doing all that much towing.

If I recall correctly, at time of manufacture it wasn't then posible to spec a factory fitted towbar, and Skoda UK didn't support towing with the Scout due to it's increased ride height (but all that has now changed!), so it may be that the towbar hasn't been fitted for all that long.

Thanks for your replies

The car's got 26500 miles on it.

The tow bar doesn't look that old. It has a few scratches on it so it has been used but... The dealer I purchased it from just said it had been a demonstrator and that's why the detachable bar was fitted. I take on board what you've said already about the dealer not wanting to tow but they told me that the detachable bar might have been fitted to increase the spec of the car as a demonstrator.

Regarding the servicing - the service department at the dealer who did the "1st service" in the book was able to tell me that the car had an oil change at 8900 miles (1 year) and a long-life service at 20000 (2 years) and then the last service at 26000 (3 years) so it looks like it's had all the right oil changes. They were able to look it up on their system, although I'm not sure why on earth the book wasn't stamped - perhaps it wasn't taken to the dealer? I've no reason to assume it isn't genuine so I'm as reassured as I can be.

They said they'd stamp the book if I posted it to them so at least I'd have a recorded FSH in the event of wanting to sell the car. I don't think I will want to sell it - I want to keep it till it dies as it's lovely and it looks in great condition - inside and out.

The slightly OCD part of me is scared of posting the book in case it gets lost but hey, I don't have a completed book anyway!

Looking forward to lots of decent motoring in this vehicle..

Edited by nudger2000

IIRC, according to the service schedule, the Haldex oil should be changed every 4 years also if its not reached the mileage

[quote name='nudger2000' timestamp='1301469478' post=

The slightly OCD part of me is scared of posting the book in case it gets lost but hey, I don't have a completed book anyway!

Hi Nudger, if you are concerned about posting the service book, why not send it registered post then you will have the signatures, I think you might be able to track it on the royal mail portal, but don't quote me on that!!

Ian

Hi Nudger, if you are concerned about posting the service book, why not send it registered post then you will have the signatures, I think you might be able to track it on the royal mail portal, but don't quote me on that!!

Ian

Cheers - already done. I'm making a meal out of nothing...

I would have a chat with the previous owner, details will be on the log book, some things dont stack up, Ive never heard of a dealer who adds all the electrics for a tow bar on a demonstrator. They should be able to shed more light on its history If its under 3 years old ask the previous owner what the mileage was when they sold it as well just in case its had a few shaved off, its more common than many believe pre the first mot.