Removing tar spots on alloys

Hiya everyone,

as the title suggests, got a few tar spots to remove on the summer 19's before they then get protected and the winter l and k 16's come off..

Is AS tardis safe on alloys?

Could i use werskat prime's polishing properties to remove instead?

Oh and speaking of alloys, i wouldnt buy replica's again :no: even though i gave my 19's three coats of protection, the chromed spoke edges of the R8 reps still suffered the winter :'(

i thought two coats of jetseal 101, and a werskat prime before that should have been enough protection, but sadly not... just wished now that i'd have got the winter tyres sorted earlier after getting the 19's - oh well live and learn.

And its got to have been the road grit/ salt that did it, as at the time i was parking on the road, and the drivers side wheels are the worse of the four

Hiya everyone,

as the title suggests, got a few tar spots to remove on the summer 19's before they then get protected and the winter l and k 16's come off..

Is AS tardis safe on alloys? YES

Could i use werskat prime's polishing properties to remove instead?

Oh and speaking of alloys, i wouldnt buy replica's again :no: even though i gave my 19's three coats of protection, the chromed spoke edges of the R8 reps still suffered the winter :'(

i thought two coats of jetseal 101, and a werskat prime before that should have been enough protection, but sadly not... just wished now that i'd have got the winter tyres sorted earlier after getting the 19's - oh well live and learn.

And its got to have been the road grit/ salt that did it, as at the time i was parking on the road, and the drivers side wheels are the worse of the four

Get some Iron X too and they will be spotless before you reseal them

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Aquartz_Iron_Cut_1.html#aAQIC500

Is this Iron X the latest thing on the detailing streets then :giggle:

I think i could open my own shop with the copious amounts of detailing products i have now haha

Any ideas why the polished spoke bits on the R8 reps would have tarnished like they have.. will get pics if required, to show you what i mean or is it basically coz cheaper reps are pants :giggle:

Spending over an hour on each of the wheels to put 3 layers protection on em.. and then this hapening had me :'( haha

Hiya Chris, Unfortunately not that new, they just went through there 2nd winter, looking at the photo's i have i think around beginning oct 2009.

Right.. i couldnt wait to get the Tardis, so went with the werskat Prime strong's polishing properties and plenty (am shattedred) of elbow grease later, and tbh i'm quite pleased with what i've managed to achieve on the inside walls and inside of spokes :)

Before anyone might notice, i only thought of getting any pics :doh: after i had already polished two of the wheels, so the before pics i have are of one of the remainding two i'll get cracking on with tomorrow night.

I havent taken any pics of front.. though, as i'm :'( about it haha, but tbh the fronts dont have any tar prob just the marks/ tarnish.

werskat prime all in one strong

Wrs_prime_strong.jpg

the lake country hand polishing pad.. i actually bought this for something else.. one time -seemed to do the job anyway :)

Hand_polishing_pad.jpg

centre of back.. lots tar/ brake dust grime

alloy_before_wers_after_wash3_show_cent.jpg

alloy_before_wers_after_wash2.jpg

alloy_before_wers_aft_wash4_close_spoke.jpg

and after :)

centre back

aft_wers_show_centre_clean.jpg

after_wers_2.jpg

aft_wers_3.jpg

Very interested in responses to this thread too - my alloys have acquired a lot of tar over the winter. :(

AS Tardis or Iron X will help but depending on the state of them and the amount of build up, good old fashioned elbow grease may be required with some clay....... :thumbup:

Is this Iron X the latest thing on the detailing streets then :giggle:

I think i could open my own shop with the copious amounts of detailing products i have now haha

Any ideas why the polished spoke bits on the R8 reps would have tarnished like they have.. will get pics if required, to show you what i mean or is it basically coz cheaper reps are pants :giggle:

Spending over an hour on each of the wheels to put 3 layers protection on em.. and then this hapening had me :'( haha

Iron X or Iron Cut as it was previously know isn't really a new product to the 'Detailing Scene', there have been other substitutes around for a while but it certainly is a popular product of late.

Your R8 Reps I am afraid will corrode and tarnish over time due to the nature of the wheel, you can only try to keep on top of them with sealant and regular cleaning to prevent degradation........ :S

Thanks Simon - i normally stay on top of it by claying and elbow grease.

I hate using anything too harsh on the wheels; i'll try some AS Tardis

as kindly supplied by Chris :thumbup:

You will be find with Tardis I am sure, top top though, let Tardis do the work, apply and leave to break down the tar, re-apply if you have to and rub off with some Tardis on a Microfibre, it should just rub off in the end....... :thumbup: