vrs seems weak

my friend got a 07/57? ibiza FR lower milage than my fabia vrs, same engine though, feels more on edge, sharp than mine, i was only in it for 5 minutes or so, just a quick drive, but seemed stronger generally than my car, i understand the fabias are a bit heavier etc but could there be something causing a weakness in mine? leaking boost pipe? or would i know about this more clearly?, it might honeslty be in my head because i wasnt driving but from passenger point of view it seemed, less laggy from pulling away and less laggy, stronger pulling through gear changes. again might all have been because i wasnt driving, maybe i could do with a service? or unless his is mapped and he doesnt know it, as he only got it recently.

Difficult to say without driving both really mate.

yeh i know mate just wondered what i can do to ensure its running as it should be, i.e servicing, clean out EGR, change parts or test i can do with vagcom? maybe im just getting used to mine and dont find it as powerful. it does still boost well but i guess i thought it used to feel like it did it better than it does now.

Possibly different gearboxes. Maybe the FR has shorter gears meaning a lot worse fuel economy, whereas the Fabia has quiet long ones and great fuel economy.

my friend got a 07/57? ibiza FR lower milage than my fabia vrs, same engine though, feels more on edge, sharp than mine, i was only in it for 5 minutes or so, just a quick drive, but seemed stronger generally than my car, i understand the fabias are a bit heavier etc but could there be something causing a weakness in mine? leaking boost pipe? or would i know about this more clearly?, it might honeslty be in my head because i wasnt driving but from passenger point of view it seemed, less laggy from pulling away and less laggy, stronger pulling through gear changes. again might all have been because i wasnt driving, maybe i could do with a service? or unless his is mapped and he doesnt know it, as he only got it recently.

If the cam belt has been changed.....check the crank to valve/unit injector timing using the correct tools.

Its the best kept industry secret that many PD cam belts are changed without then re-adjusting the engine timing using the correct VAG engine timing tools.

Why dont garages use the tools ???.....well its much quicker and easier to get the engine back together and up and running using tipex, at least good enough to satisfy most unsuspecting owners lol, but will the engine timing be correct, I very much doubt it.

HTH

Bill.

whats the best way to check the boost pipes? i have no idea where to look for them??

normally depending how badly there leaking you can hear a hissing sound, and theres a fair bit of smoke coming from the read, sooty boot is often a tell tale sign. If in doubt get it RR'd

Speaking from experience (Boost pipe popped off about an hour and a half ago) you will be able to hear a whistling noise, just before mine popped off it actually sounded like it was coming from the air vent. You could get someone to rev the engine i.e. put it under boost and do a check of them, feel for air or a pipe buckling? Definately recommend checking the lower boost pipe though!

cool i dont think i have a boost leak, i will get it serviced next month or so, and get an aftermarket airfilter too, think the problem lies in my head, either tht or his car is mapped. maybe thts all im crying out for.............more power!! lol

You could be just used to the power your car gives out now, every passenger I have say eff me!! this thing shifts! but I think nah it's not that quick! Just because am used to it!

Jump into other peoples cars and think this feels so much quicker than my car!

Time for modifications now ;)

a lot lies in the feel of the whole car aswell, my mates got the pd160 ibiza and compared to mine with half the mileage on it, it feels a far more focused sporty car! brakes better, steers better and the ride is solid!! HOWEVER! now ive changed to cupra bushes and eibachs with some 17s mine is much more like his! and to be honest id argue the response of my car is better for normal driving than the larger turbo and bigger intercoolered engine on the 160! unless u want to rev it past 3000rpm (then its soooo much faster than mine) the two are now very similar in feel.