Mirror Glass

Lynz has been driving my Oct'y (again)today :dull:

Anyway, she got in and said that my mirror was falling off!

So went to have a look and the drivers side door mirror glass is hanging off, before you all say it's just clipped in, the mirror glass has come unstuck from the backing plate ie the bit that heats up.

So it looks like a coffee at the dealers in the morning :D

If you still have it intact just stick it back on with double sided tape. Carpet or number plate tape will do, as it's just the adhesive that's failed.

Did think about that, Just not sure if the heating element would still work?

Works a treat, I used number plate tape which is quite foam padded and the heater clears the glass as normal. Got my tape from B&Q for a couple of £s. I had same problem and it was a briskoda member who recommended this method to me, so happy to pass the knowledge on!

Had almost exactly the same on my Octy couple of weeks ago. Was the nearside mirror, looked like glass was just peeling off the adhesive pad. Bought myself some "Serious Glue", that's it's name, and just stuck the bug**r back on. Was recommended to me by friend in the trade as the stuff to use. Has a 3 minute movable time and sets in 2 hours, 24hr solid, and is suitable to stick almost anything to anything and -30c - +130c. Should be able to get from you local B&Q or similar for around £4.

Kevin

Many thanks for the ideas :thumbup:

Will have more of a look in the morning, then go up to my dealers and get them to do it under warranty :rofl:

You're lucky it hasn't shattered. The heat caused by the rapid bond of superglue can easily break glass, that is why you never glue interior mirrors to screens with superglue.

Mike

Another reason for using a tape, a bit more play and flexibility in the bond.