Urgent generator Fabia 16V 2001 question...

16V

My car has been standing for 6 months (I live abroad) , so battery was dead and my friends used another car for start up car mine wouldn't idle on the its own battery and died as soon as slave was disconnected. I wasn't present, so hearing about this I bough a new battery and though the old was toasted. So installed the new battery and it started but now battery indicator light is on (which they said was the issue as well), so I assume the reason for previous battery wouldn't idle was generator malfunctioning. This just happened so I haven't tried to charge the old batt. Belt is spinning. I haven't checked the "coils" I assume these wear down like they did on my old beetles and then you sometimes had to change them?

This car has no AC. So my question is would any Fabia generator with 90 Amp work? Would you aim for a new generator, or would you think the fault would be elsewhere?

1. Generator mechanic

2. Order a cheap generator for like €80

3. Skoda mechanic which means new generator for like € 400 plus work...

The bad part is that I'm running low on time. Just in town for a week...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing to check is the multiplug down by the starter motor as these break right by the two pin plug and cause charging issues. If this is all fine then it may well be the alternator has now failed

Dave

The first thing to check is the multiplug down by the starter motor as these break right by the two pin plug and cause charging issues. If this is all fine then it may well be the alternator has now failed

Dave

Tnx Dave. I checked that. I was desperate and called a company who changed. Had to pay around €350. Skoda was asking €600, so I guess it was ok. Usually I do these stuff myself, but this time I didn't have the time...

Well, well. Cash is king...